Fampyr Dominating Gaze Bug

Drum_Warrior

Question

In the Cave of Threshing, when using Accurate Wounding Shot on a stunned Fampyr, my Ranger/Monk gets instantly dominated. I've tried this with both a hunting bow (Frostseeker) and an arquebus (Blightheart).

This seems to only happen when using Accurate Wounding Shot; normal ranged attacks and ranged Stunning Blow are both fine.

I tried paralyzing the Fampyr as well and the same thing happens.

Steps to reproduce the issue (using save file):

- Keep everyone in stealth and send the monk (Faerrys) in to engage the Fampyr with an empowered Stunning Surge

- After the Fampyr is stunned: use Accurate Wounding Shot with the Ranger/Monk (Sahuani), on Fampyr

- Sahuani should be dominated

Edit:

No matter the status of the Fampyr, Accurate Wounding Shot will instantly trigger dominating gaze.

Here's a dropbox link to a .zip file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uvivyhfl75202a9/PoE%202%20Fampyr%20Bug.zip?dl=0

post-174678-0-60428700-1526420588_thumb.jpg

Edited by Drum_Warrior

Completed with a Wild Orlan Wizard

wunmnk.jpg

For me, everything gives me dominated gaze. I tried to fight those fampyrs but it turned into a loop: Only the watcher left standing, he gives a normal attack and he becomes dominated, the enemies stop attacking, dominate time expires, another normal attack, dominated, everyone stop attacking, repeat. I almost died laughing.

I dont know if this "reflect" type of thing is intentional but I do know it isnt working very well.

Edited by Niizzy
  • Like 1

For me, everything gives me dominated gaze. I tried to fight those fampyrs but it turned into a loop: Only the watcher left standing, he gives a normal attack and he becomes dominated, the enemies stop attacking, dominate time expires, another normal attack, dominated, everyone stop attacking, repeat. I almost died laughing.

I dont know if this "reflect" type of thing is intentional but I do know it isnt workinh very well.

Oh wow, that sounds terrible!

I tried to look at the Fampyr abilities in the cyclopedia, in case they have some special ability that makes this happen, but unfortunately you don't get descriptions of the abilities. So as far as i can tell, this shouldn't be happening.

wunmnk.jpg

I had the same problem with Fampyrs, even when terrified, stunned or paralyzed all ranged attacks lead to my guys being dominated.

It is an ability that triggers on all ranged targeted attacks against Fampyrs. So make sure, everyone has a melee weapon or ground spells. I didn't, so I had to turn AI off, so my rangers didn't wreck my whole team while dominated.

• Like 1

Had the same issues with the Fampyrs, made those encounters the only challenge of the whole game. :D

Only Eder managed to resist these attacks reliably. Pallegina was 50/50. Everyone else was dominated most of the time against regular Fampyrs and all the time against the named ones (on splintered reef). I only managed one or two fights because my Witch main character mowed down the Fampyr boss with friendly fire from Berserker frenzy and WoteP aoe + carnage while dominated.

Edited by M4xw0lf
  • Like 1

Same here with Eder being the only reliable one to resist. The first time fighting them, I ended up sending Eder in to round up all the Fampyrs then i sent Xoti in with an empowered Dismissal to instantly kill all of them!

wunmnk.jpg

Yes, hardest battle for me, Everyone including summoned creatures have been dominated at least once.

It seems those fampyrs have passive skill like "dominate retaliate" . And I quite don't understand how that "skill" works,  Ydwin whose will defense is 90 got  dominated after every attack, but Eder whose will defense is 70 did much better.

• Like 1

I don't know about this ranged thing. All my party was melee and they got that "dominate retaliate". The Fampyrs uses the skill that is supposed to dominate but it doesn't work, my party don't get dominated with that skill. They get dominated when they attack. Its weird, I don't think its supposed to be working like that.

My PC has Mental Fortress. The combat log shows I resisted domination. But I STILL got dominated.

:blink:

Hm, the status effect says charmed, not dominated, that's a difference, right?

Technically yes, they are different status effects. But Mental Fortress is supposed to protect against both.

My PC was the only one in the party with a Will score under 100 and she was constantly dominated any time there were fampyrs onscreen.

She was also the only one using a ranged weapon, unless scepters count.

Aloth massages his temples, shaking his head.

My PC has Mental Fortress. The combat log shows I resisted domination. But I STILL got dominated.

:blink:

Hm, the status effect says charmed, not dominated, that's a difference, right?

Technically yes, they are different status effects. But Mental Fortress is supposed to protect against both.

My understanding of resistance to afflictions is that they only downgrade the affliction by one tier. In this case it was downgraded from dominated to charmed.

If the player was charmed then it would be downgraded to confused, and if confused was used then it would fail to work.

Grazes only reduce the duration by half, not reduce the affliction tier, right?

I don't know about this ranged thing. All my party was melee and they got that "dominate retaliate". The Fampyrs uses the skill that is supposed to dominate but it doesn't work, my party don't get dominated with that skill. They get dominated when they attack. Its weird, I don't think its supposed to be working like that.

That's strange; the only time i got insta-dominated was specifically when i used Accurate Wounding Shot. There's definitely something strange going on with this ability!

Edited by Drum_Warrior

wunmnk.jpg

heres the thing i want to understand

are the fampyr/lich gaze abilities MEANT to trigger when THEY are hit?

or are they meant to be active abilities?

either way, do they have a use limit/cooldown?

i just got done with the fampyr cave and mirke was constantly getting dominated, over and over and over and over

Here's the spiffy thing I've found about this major issue/bug....

For testing purposes I gave myself the following;

Level 20

35 all stats (the soft cap)

Faith and Conviction (Paladin core ability)

Deep Faith (Paladin ability - separately, so the Will bonus would stack)

Mental Fortress (Paladin ability)

Determination (Fighter ability)

Bull's Will (Generic ability)

Iron Will (Cipher ability)

This gave me nearly 300 Will, and I was still being Charmed nearly every attack. Mental Fortress at least downgraded the Dominated effect to Charmed, so I thankfully wouldn't blow myself up with spells. However the "accuracy" of Fampyr "Dominating Gaze" is set way to high.

This was tested at the "Fampyr Crypt" location on the world map. I ran the area and reloaded after I slowly but surely killed everything at least five times, progressively adding more abilities that would stack Will defense against the attack. The last two runs were with all the skills listed above, and yet I was still reliably being Charmed.

For reference, for those who don't know or didn't look it up, there is a major difference between Charmed and Dominated. "Charmed" makes you lose control of the character, but that character can only use basic attacks until the effect wears off. Dominated on the other hand, the character can not only use basic attacks, but can use spells and abilities as well - allowing caster characters to effectively suicide themselves by casting hostile aoe spells "on themselves", or cause Paladins to Sacred Immolation themselves to death.

Edited by ClockworkPenguin
  • Like 2

Aloth: "Vela, that's not a very nice word... Where did you learn that?"

Vela: "Uncle Serafen."

Aloth: "I see.. We'll just have to have a little chat then, wont we?"

their dominate ability also seems to be able to resist aegis of loyalty too. made my paladins noticeably less useful. and in the cases where it successfully counters dominate, they usually seem to be instantly re-dominated.   

Yesterday, upon the stair, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish, I wish he'd go away... -Hughes Mearns

yeah i think both lich's gaze and fampyr dominating/charming gazes are quite borked

doesnt help that the only way to "counter" it is blinding them and they all have very high defenses and commonly use magic deflection spells :^/, and this is assuming blinding them would properly prevent their gaze abilities

Damn, I thought I was doing something wrong when fighting fampyrs when this was happening to me. There is actually a much nastier fampyr fight than the cave on the island to the north and I've basically given up on ever winning it while this bug persists.

As far as I can tell, literally any targeted ability (but not AoE) will trigger the dominate gaze and it seems to work extremely reliably, perhaps 100% of the time but I can't be sure. Auto attacks don't seem to have the same problem so perhaps I can come back at higher level and just steamroll this fight with auto-attacks...

Crit happens

i have to admit, after a few of those fampyr fights i was still fairly mad, even in victory. so a few of those islands have particularly uncivilized names in reference to them, names that i'd likely be banned for posting... for instance i chuckle every time i pass the "gods ****ed ****ing **** island". i'll let you use your imagination to fill in the blanks.

Edited by Casper
  • Like 1

Yesterday, upon the stair, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish, I wish he'd go away... -Hughes Mearns

Damn, I thought I was doing something wrong when fighting fampyrs when this was happening to me. There is actually a much nastier fampyr fight than the cave on the island to the north and I've basically given up on ever winning it while this bug persists.

As far as I can tell, literally any targeted ability (but not AoE) will trigger the dominate gaze and it seems to work extremely reliably, perhaps 100% of the time but I can't be sure. Auto attacks don't seem to have the same problem so perhaps I can come back at higher level and just steamroll this fight with auto-attacks...

Even worse is the Fampyr fight on the island at the south east edge of the map! 

It's strange - I've only had it happen when using Accurate Wounding Shot but others seem to have the same trouble as you, or even have it happen just from auto attacks. It doesn't seem to be consistent between everyone's games.

I don't think this issue was addressed in 1.1. My party is level 19 and I still get destroyed in the Cave of Threshing. Everything else in the game has been easy.

Hopefully it will be in the next patch 

wunmnk.jpg