I want to have a DW sabre bruiser type character

Devoted / Street Fighter with sabre?

or

Devoted / Berserker with sabres?

or

Devoted / Cipher (soul blade) with sabres?

Any advice on building either, or which may perform better?

Edited by Nefarious7

That's what I played, sort of. I went for a Devoted/Paladin(Kind Wayfarer).

Stats were like 18/8/18/8/8/18 - With Deep Faith you had crazy amounts of deflection and with Mob Stance/Zealous Aura/Disciplined Strikes you dishes out the damage. There are probably way stronger builds later into the game, but this was strong from the first level and incredibly powerful during the mid game. 

I've played a Devoted/Shattered Pillar (swords) up to level 11.  It's a very strong combo.  The option of 3 different damage types on a Devoted pretty much means you'll always over pen your opponents.  

All your listed combos can make for viable builds, I think I would personally favor the Berserker though.  I've tried the soul blade multi class a few times and it just takes a long time to bloom, I might give it another shot down the road though because I really want a monk that can blast out amplified wave.

Edited by Climhazzard

It's a bit difficult to make an off-tank that's actually sturdy and also does real damage unless it's a paladin. The 20 deflect you get for free from Deep Faith is just so strong, it means you don't really have to care about resolve. Devoted/Bleakwalker is the perfect OT/bruiser for this reason. It can be another paladin subclass as well, Goldpact is nice if you want to focus more on tanking than DPS.

There are other classes that do more damage, but they don't have an easy time getting to 70-80 unbuffed deflect like a paladin will. If what you want is a literal OT/bruiser and not just a melee DPS, it's probably the only way to do it without some weird, situational build or one that relies on a buff setup that you have to micromanage for every fight.

Edited by Arnegar

Devoted Goldpack Crusader?

You could just retrain to achieve perfect balance of dmg and sustain.

You could choose other orger if you want focus on something else, like more dmg for bleakwaker or party support.

MoonMoon Godlike.

High Might and some Dex/Per. Rest no dump.

Cipher could be too squishy, Barbarian is counterproductive with Frenzy.

The paladin is a good choice, however, my tank will be a paladin/monk.

So I want this 2nd melee damage dealer to be something different, hence the combos I recommended.

I think street fighter / devoted sounds fun personally.  

I've been using fighter (devoted) and rogue (street fighter).

I'm finding the con of being a street fighter (20% recovery) to be active much more than the benefits (being flanked and bloodied).

Might switch now.  And yeah, I'm looking for melee DPS moreso than an off tank.

I've been using fighter (devoted) and rogue (street fighter).

I'm finding the con of being a street fighter (20% recovery) to be active much more than the benefits (being flanked and bloodied).

Might switch now.  And yeah, I'm looking for melee DPS moreso than an off tank.

you just need to be flanked to get your first stage of the buff which also negates recovery malus, and that can be easily achieved, also you can do a "run trough engagements" with Tumbling, Riposte and Vigorous Defence on, to get some damage on you, but more often,  provoke misses 

there is also altho a bit micro intensive black jacket with 4 twohanders in heavy armor.

Multiclassed or not, when you get appropriate  talents for quick switch, you can quick switch after each strike, and that will make your attack speed with 2 handers even tho you are in heavy armour, faster then dual wield  with daggers/light armor :DD