Xoti's quest and ending (spoilers)

In my first playthrough I got the worst ending for Xoti. She went insane and all that, eventually disappearing in the dark. So now I have a few questions :)

I brought her to animancers with her quest after collecting souls. Was it the wrong decision by itself (the whole scene at Spire looked rather grim)? Or could it go better if I found some right words at the moment? I also did never reach rep 2 with her (well, pleasing her got harder after she became all creepy). I doubt that's the problem, but who knows?

Will appreciate any info. I'm not sure if I want to drag her along in the next tries but still. Poor gal... she could use a better guidance :)

I dunno if other choices affect ending, but I chose animancers and ending I had with Xoti was happy one(it was him becoming friends with Eder and in general good ending to Dawnstars since of what I said to the dude whose name started with L whose name I forgot)

Reason why Xoti goes crazy is when she is encouraged to keep the souls with herself <_< She snaps from the nightmares

Edited by BrokenMask
  • Like 1

I dunno if other choices affect ending, but I chose animancers and ending I had with Xoti was happy one(it was him becoming friends with Eder and in general good ending to Dawnstars since of what I said to the dude whose name started with L whose name I forgot)

Reason why Xoti goes crazy is when she is encouraged to keep the souls with herself <_< She snaps from the nightmares

hum..sorry , but I think you got it wrong . When you take her to the Adra pillar , I choose to 'Keep the soul' instead of 'releasing them' .

When I picked the release , she went vampire and ate them . I think THAT give you the bad ending . 

I went with 'Keep the soul' and she tell me 'are you crazy!?"..and then lament that it hurt but she will do her duty regardless . 

unless the game is bugged that is and reversed stuff  :lol:

• Like 1
I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

hum..sorry , but I think you got it wrong . When you take her to the Adra pillar , I choose to 'Keep the soul' instead of 'releasing them' .

When I picked the release , she went vampire and ate them . I think THAT give you the bad ending . 

I went with 'Keep the soul' and she tell me 'are you crazy!?"..and then lament that it hurt but she will do her duty regardless . 

My Xoti did as I asked.  Perhaps it's a function of the Watcher's reputation with her?

• Like 1

I've been experimenting a bit, and it seems there are two conversations where you have to pick responses that push her toward the light (or darkness), and they help determine the outcome when you go to the pillar/animancers to drop off the souls. I remember the first choice was something like "We can still renew the lights of Hel". The second choice I don't remember, though I'm doing her quests again so I'll come across it soon-ish.

And then, at the pillar, I assume your decision there - telling to either hold on or let go - adds to your previous choices and determines the outcome of that event. I haven't done the animancer path, but I assume it's the same thing.

• Like 3

Half my conversations with Xoti felt buggy. I suppose I pushed her to the dark; I certainly didn't say anything encouraging positive thinking. I had her release the souls into the adra, but I suppose it backfired and she couldn't? That's what the scene said, but the journal said she successfully released them. Conversation with her after also indicated that. But she got progressively darker, and I got the dark ending for her.

• Like 1

Sounds like if you encourage her towards the light and tell her to release the souls, she does. If you encourage her towards the dark and tell her to keep the souls, she does. But if you encourage her one way and tell her to act another, something goes wrong and she gets messed up?

• Like 1

I think I ran into the same bug on my first time through her quest. The second time, I paid much closer attention to what I said and checked my quest log after each conversation.

If you push her toward the light, you get quest updates that state "I encouraged Xoti to seek the light of Gaun's lantern - of spring following a fall." and "I encouraged Xoti to seek the light of Gaun's lantern - of rebirth after death."

If you push her towards darkness, the updates say "I encouraged Xoti to embrace the darkness of Gaun's sickle - of death before rebirth." and "I encouraged Xoti to embrace the darkness of Gaun's sickle - of the fall before spring."

• Like 1

Thank you all for answers and tips!

I went back to my old saves before the quest resolution. It went exactly this way for me:

Also checked the quest log and found 3 entries about encouraging Xoti. In two I encouraged her toward light and in one towards darkness :) So my best guess is... maybe if you go one way the entire time she listens to you and does what you say? And if you give her mixed advice she does the opposite? After I said "keep the souls" she released them and felt much better afterwards. Eh.

Chosing normal adra pillar or the animancers seems to have no effect on this.

Edited by DarthWhite
  • Like 1

It also depends on what dialogue choices that you choose when speaking to her. Specifically, when looking at the quest journal, both instances of Speak to Xhoti, and Perform the cleansing ritual.

They can vary between light and dark, and have an effect on both her ending and the enchantment item that you receive for her lantern.

I was so pissed at this, because I thought I had locked myself out, destroying her, but I managed to fix it in the ritual, so don't give up hope.

I had told her to go for light the first time, then darknes the second, and then light the third time, so I thought I was screwed. I told her to release the souls and she was confident (I boosted my Religion to 5 so in the last conversation I could tell her to trust the gods), and I said "I am ready to be impressed". Then everything went to ****, she got crazy and started licking her sickle! :o

But then, as a last shot I decided to reload, and I did everything the same, except I told her "Be carefull!" and then it worked! :D

She released them just fine, and felt light and good and she kept her sanity. :)

Edited by Morlden

Looks to me that the way it works is that if you encouraged her consistently one way or the other, she'll follow your instructions in that same direction during the finale. If you gave her mixed messages, she'll do the opposite of what you say during the finale. I encouraged her twice to the light and once to the dark, and when I told her to release the souls, she absorbed them. When I reloaded and told her to absorb them, she released them. I "think" that no matter how you encouraged her, you can force the desired outcome at the end.

• 2 years later...

One interesting thing in my first playthrough was that I suppose I gave her mixed messages throughout, but then at the end, since I wanted her light, I told her to keep the souls, knowing she would do the opposite. She released the souls and when I directly talk to her, she's all happy and relieved that the souls are gone. But when we are walking around and fighting, she sounds like some sadistic lunatic (cackling and moaning with pleasure). So somehow, she's light when directly confronted and then passively dark when walking around. Really strange.