Main Story way too short for an RPG! I am very disspointed...

I was really hoping for long main story critical path as it should be in RPG. How dissapointed I was that it was so short. I was playing side activities, discovering some Islands, doing side quests (hoping for another big city like Neketaka further in main story or new continent...). Because I was saving that (so I thought) long and good main story for later. Then I started it and ..... end? Really? Act 3 I was thinking should be end of Act 1. The whole main plot is like prologue to actual long story! This is not a true RPG. Mass Effect 2 main story was longer than this.

Obsidian, you made RPG's your bread and butter. However, the main thing of RPG is it's story, main story, this is most important thing in RPG!

I have that wierd feeling you followed the trend of "semi-open world", "world activites" etc. While what I expect from RPG is: long, great main story with a lot of plot turns with great finale, great memorable characters and interesting side quests. While things like Ship, tons of companions, some traveling around etc. is welcome BONUS- first of all game should have long, interesting story with many Acts. Then you should add some bonuses....

Doesn't matter if game is tunnel, linear, open, closed etc.

I am glad I got it as gift from friend, becasue honestly - it's really dissapointing.

Main story alone in any RPG should be at least min 50hh (critical path). Dunno about rest people, but that is why I play RPGs....

Game overall looks great, but if you really sacrificed main story length and depth for stupid ship battles, some empty islands and ship customization system- then that was not a good deal.

Of course above is my personal feedback and I respect anyone who thinks otherwise.

Edited by Voltron
  • Like 6

I took 50 hours in POE1 full. As in both WM expansions, most of the quests (I think I missed a few minor ones) and so on.

WM2 took most of my time considering the difficulty and I had to force myself to do bounties to level so I could kill that bloody dragon.

POE1's main story quest didn't take 50 hours. Let alone once you remove those atrociously long loading screens.

Of course I know POE was short. But I  was expecting from sequel you know.... better, longer, more. As usual from sequels. I know POE was short, but it was like their first step. I expected more from sequel.

For example Main story of Baldurs Gate II SoA took on average 50h, rushed 35h, taking it easy 62h. Main + Extras 78h, with extras even 137h on taking it slow and easy.

Edited by Voltron
  • Like 1

In my main quest, i just chose a "faction side" and have to sail a fleet to that city with a "U".

How close am I to the end?

I'm torn.  I actually just want to start over with a game that is actually hard.  So, I'm weighing just stopping and waiting for a patch to fix difficulty, or just finishing up this run quick.  I've used console commands to fix stuff, so I'm not getting any achievements. 

Edited by Nefarious7

If the side content is as compelling as main content (or in BG2/Witcher 3s case moreso) then I'm fine with a shorter main quest. The problem comes when its short and sidequests are bad filler ala DA:I. This was not the case in PoE1 (yet to play 2).

Edited by Mikey_205

Of course I know POE was short. But I  was expecting from sequel you know.... better, longer, more. As usual from sequels. I know POE was short, but it was like their first step. I expected more from sequel.

For example Main story of Baldurs Gate II SoA took on average 50h, rushed 35h, taking it easy 62h. Main + Extras 78h, with extras even 137h on taking it slow and easy.

did it really? I haven't played BG2 in ages..due..well new pc and my old copy aint working no more . 

But...if you skip (all side quest , factions quest , sight seeing , getting lost , random combats , groping and ogling innocent passers)  from dungeon of irenicus --- join faction -- chase idiot ---- final battle..thats 50h ????? 

while I agree with you that , RPG games strenght is STORY and should be long . a gentle reminder that long doesn't always equal good story . And Long doesn't always equal main story long . They could easely calculate everything and give you a big number . 

• Like 4
I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

did it really? I haven't played BG2 in ages..due..well new pc and my old copy aint working no more . 

But...if you skip (all side quest , factions quest , sight seeing , getting lost , random combats , groping and ogling innocent passers)  from dungeon of irenicus --- join faction -- chase idiot ---- final battle..thats 50h ????? 

while I agree with you that , RPG games strenght is STORY and should be long . a gentle reminder that long doesn't always equal good story . And Long doesn't always equal main story long . They could easely calculate everything and give you a big number . 

This is average of BG2: https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=809

Of course various RPGs can be shortened a lot. But if talk about taking game as it was intendend to be- main story should be long. It's RPG after all.

Mass Effect 2 main story alone was average 25h and there was much more stuff there to focus on like, like FPS combat, graphics, cinematics, movement etc etc.

Also BG2's critical path with just SOA is not 50 hours. I can manage it in 30 like most BW games.

Also some games can overstay their welcome. (looking at you Persona 5). I rather have a game that ends just right than drags way past when it should've ended or has unnecessary padding in between.

• Like 1

Persona 5 takes about 300 hours.......!

Took me "just" close to 100... max confidant run, mind you.

I can't say how long PoE2 will be yet, but since PoE1 was comparable to BG1+expansion in length (not counting Endless Paths and WM1+2), I'd be totally happy if it comes close to BG2. Besides, we will get 3 expansions this time around, no?

Edited by warbaby2

I can't standing a main story that is over 30 hours, over that the story is full of pointless filler and I get tired of it not moving along.

I also don't know a single RPGs that took me that long to just do the main story. Games that take me over 50 hours to finish have more side contents than main story content usually.

• Like 1

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

So, how long DID Deadfire take you to beat, OP? This has been an important question on my mind.

My original PoE gameplay took the following (roughly):

60 hrs - Main quest plus 90% side missions 

34 hrs - WM 1 & 2

96 hours total

I was really hoping and praying Deadfire would be the BG2 of modern cRPG's, when it comes to tons of content (with most of it being really good), but I have a feeling it's not.

I really, really hope Obsidian goes all out for PoE3 and drops some of these mechanics (ship battles) that many do not like and goes first and foremost to story and really great side quests. Again, I feel like the ship stuff is equal to what Rocksteady did with the Batmobile in Arkham Knight. TOO much focus on, dare I say, gimmicky stuff.

@Obsidian - If you need any help I would gladly join your team as an additional writer. PM for details on my previous work.

Also BG2's critical path with just SOA is not 50 hours. I can manage it in 30 like most BW games.

Also some games can overstay their welcome. (looking at you Persona 5). I rather have a game that ends just right than drags way past when it should've ended or has unnecessary padding in between.

I loved how long BG2 was in general and how long the critical path was. It was just right for an RPG, nothing felt as a filler.

Persona 5 is so long because it's linear and practically everything there is critical path, aside from Mementos, but even those are tied to the main plot.

Nope. All of baldur's gate 2 takes 50 hours (56h and 55m). I was shocked to find out beating a completionist run through of BG1 too me only 43h and 8m. I could have sworn the first game was about 100h long. They just can be boring. Watching your characters slowely walking from one point of the map to the other can make the game feel longer than it actually is.

I can't say much about critical path of Deadfire as I didn't beat it yet, but it feels chock full of content. I see faction stuff, and side areas as critical part of the game. What IS the critical path, hmmm? The areas you have to visit in order to beat the game? Areas with interesting content? With important story? 

I can't standing a main story that is over 30 hours, over that the story is full of pointless filler and I get tired of it not moving along.

I also don't know a single RPGs that took me that long to just do the main story. Games that take me over 50 hours to finish have more side contents than main story content usually.

Agreed... even Witcher 3 (which took me about 300 hours to complete fully) had a very short critical path.

I loved how long BG2 was in general and how long the critical path was. It was just right for an RPG, nothing felt as a filler.

Persona 5 is so long because it's linear and practically everything there is critical path, aside from Mementos, but even those are tied to the main plot.

I don't know Cheatue Irenicus was pretty fillerish :p I mean yeah there's story content but it's buried in filler fights and silly puzzles (also that walking speed is...questionable) The rest of it it was from meh to outstanding.

And they felt the absurd need to constantly repeat information you got five minutes ago. My god P3 and P4 was far less repetitive.

Edited by Ryz009

I can't say much about critical path of Deadfire as I didn't beat it yet, but it feels chock full of content. I see faction stuff, and side areas as critical part of the game. What IS the critical path, hmmm? The areas you have to visit in order to beat the game? Areas with interesting content? With important story? 

Factions are side quests. Critical path is you following Eothas, so it's

Fort Maje (fix the ship)->Neketaka (talk to the Queen)->Hasongo->Ashen Maw->Ukaizo

Fort Maje (fix the ship)->Neketaka (talk to the Queen)->Hasongo->Ashen Maw->Ukaizo

Pretty sure you can even skip Hasongo and go straight to Ashen Maw.

Yes, the main story is ridiculously short and not very well written. All you really do is follow Eothas and have no power to affect the outcome at the end. It almost beggars belief that the same developer that gave us Fallout: New Vegas came up with this. It seems almost like the main story is a setup for Pillars 3 and the developers couldn't have you make choices that would jeopardize their plans for the third one, so they take away choice entirely.

Well, at least the rest of the game is absolutely fantastic. 

• Like 5

Pretty sure you can even skip Hasongo and go straight to Ashen Maw.

Wait you can how?

Yes, the main story is ridiculously short and not very well written. All you really do is follow Eothas and have no power to affect the outcome at the end. It almost beggars belief that the same developer that gave us Fallout: New Vegas came up with this. It seems almost like the main story is a setup for Pillars 3 and the developers couldn't have you make choices that would jeopardize their plans for the third one, so they take away choice entirely.

Well, at least the rest of the game is absolutely fantastic. 

So basically middle entry in a trilogy syndrome.

Yeah you're probably right.

Edited by Ryz009

I really, really hope Obsidian goes all out for PoE3 and drops some of these mechanics (ship battles) that many do not like

People on this forum are generally neutral towards ship battles and Josh stated he's fine with players not liking it since there are other players that enjoy it.

So dropping ship battles because of players not liking them is not likely.

However, PoE3 may just not be about sailing.

Vancian =/= per rest.

I don't know Cheatue Irenicus was pretty fillerish :p I mean yeah there's story content but it's buried in filler fights and silly puzzles (also that walking speed is...questionable) The rest of it it was from meh to outstanding.

And they felt the absurd need to constantly repeat information you got five minutes ago. My god P3 and P4 was far less repetitive.

...still, P5 was the most "westernised" game yet... makes you wonder what the Japanses think about western gamers, no? ...just kidding. ;)

If Araminrai is right, then the Deadfire critical path would be around as long as PoE1's, but, then again, I see the whole ship/island exploration thing making it far harder to actually follow that path consistently... but that might just be me.

But I guess that's not the argument here...