Duel wielding pistol/blunderbuss & melee weapon?

How is this supposed to work? I assumed with pistol in main and melee in off hand if you are out of melee range you would fire then close to melee range and attack - but it doesn't seem to work that way I see my rogue fire then I see recovery and no use of melee weapon (altho granted this has been in somewhat complicated fights and it was difficult to see exactly what she was doing)

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

if u put pistol in ur mainhand, u will just ranged attack unless an enemy closes to melee range with u. if melee is ur mainhand, then you will close to melee. the point of dual wielding ranged/melee is you still get the two weapon bonus so you can fire faster. it's probably not better than just dualwielding pistols or 1 pistol only. but there is one cool combo you can do. if you are a chanter you can use sasha's singing sabre in your offhand and pistol mainhand. the unique sabre grants an action speed aura based on your current phrases. this is the only real combo i see that utilizes ranged/melee dual wielding atm

• Like 1

Currently what happens is your character uses whatever weapon makes the most sense for the range they're at, so you have to micromanage them a little.

You still get the dual wielding speed buff, at least.

Currently what happens is your character uses whatever weapon makes the most sense for the range they're at, so you have to micromanage them a little.

You still get the dual wielding speed buff, at least.

But not the second weapon damage unless you are at melee range? Or if you are at melee range does the main hand pistol even fire first? Seems sort of convoluted doesn't it? 

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

• 2 weeks later...

It's not really clear whether the character would use the maximum range or if he will close to melee in case of a melee weapon in the main hand.

More importantly blunderbuss have penalty to ranged, does that mean that they can be used effectively in melee?