Pallegina and the Kind Wayfarer ending...

I really hate that.

Pallegina in my playthrough is a Kind Wayfarer. I did what I thought was best for her and for the Dyrwood. I imported my save, and guess what, she is a disgraced soldier, she's sad and even angrier, like if I never cared for her in Pillars 1... So, if I want to Pallegina be happy in the Deadfire, I need to strenghten Dyrwood souls ( Make an pact with a god I personally dislike) JUST because they decide to desconsider my choice?

Why bring a companion back in this way? Desconsidering options they give to players? What about the whole "Choice and Consequence" thing?

Forcing me to make choices like that was not what I expected from obsidian, really sad...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I mean, choices having consequences mean sometimes they are consequences you won't like(Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2 both practice idea that there aren't straight up good and evil choices and sometimes trying to do right thing can be worse in long run or at least at great personal cost) <_< And its not like kind wayfarer ending was much happier in original game, its basically extension of what happens if you never complete her quest at all where she escapes north to become caravan guard but can't ever escape attention she gets from her being a godlike.

Kind wayfarer ending basically just says "despite her dedication and bravery, she felt like outsiders everywhere where she went" and you know how Pallegina feels like about being a godlike. And do note that ending where Dyrwood isn't strengthened by souls, the Vailians crush Dyrwood trade anyway so Pallegina's sacrifice was for nothing. Thats a lot of things to be bitter about.

In other words, you already ruined her life back in Pillars of Eternity 1 so consequences of it being shown in Pillars 2 shouldn't be anything new really.

Edited by BrokenMask
  • Like 2

You encouraged her to follow her heart rather than perform her duty. That means she'll be discgraced by the faction she served. She's not angry and upset with you for long in PoE2 - just give it a while. She actually admits later that she doesn't blame you. :/

• Like 1

I really hate that. I did what I thought was best for her and for the Dyrwood.

What you thought. That doesn't mean it's actually best for her and the Dyrwood. Especially since your influence got her disgraced, kicked out of her order, and banished from the Republics. I would be pretty pissed if someone's influence caused that.

• Like 2

You encouraged her to follow her heart rather than perform her duty. That means she'll be discgraced by the faction she served. She's not angry and upset with you for long in PoE2 - just give it a while. She actually admits later that she doesn't blame you. :/

not if you pick the shrug response.

Her flipping out was glorious.

• Like 8

Hmm yeah, thats another thing, you shouldn't be like "What, why doesn't she love me anymore, she will hate me foreveeeeeeeer" because characters in this game tend to be reasonable :p

Literally the best thing about Pallegina in the game.

I was grinning like a bloody idiot during the entire rant.

• Like 1

The best part is it's exactly what my PC did when she made her choice to begin with. What did she expect. :lol:

• Like 3

Not sure what you mean: you made a choice, here are the consequences.

For the record- I swore to no god, and just shoved the souls back to the wheel. She seems perfectly happy.

What is bothering me is that the Kind Wayfarer ending is being retconned, ignored, as if I never completed her quest, and thus, she was disgraced (Caravan guard ending instead).

A character being angry with me about some decision I made, that's all right, choice and consequence and all, but a character being angry because something I never Actually did, is frustranting! It is just "Consequence" with no choice at all...

They ignored my decision and put the worst state in the place and that is whatt bothers me...

• Like 3

Not sure what you mean: you made a choice, here are the consequences.

For the record- I swore to no god, and just shoved the souls back to the wheel. She seems perfectly happy.

What is bothering me is that the Kind Wayfarer ending is being retconned, ignored, as if I never completed her quest, and thus, she was disgraced (Caravan guard ending instead).

A character being angry with me about some decision I made, that's all right, choice and consequence and all, but a character being angry because something I never Actually did, is frustranting! It is just "Consequence" with no choice at all...

They ignored my decision and put the worst state in the place and that is whatt bothers me...

I was bothered by the retcon of her being a Kind Wayfarer as well.

Much like you, I felt like the game was ignoring the fact that I had put time and effort in to complete her quest in POE1, and was now acting like I never bothered to help her. While she doesn't appear to comment on being a Kind Wayfarer, and we're given the same guard background as those that hadn't finished her quest.. her breastplate does comment on the Kind Wayfarer route. It doesn't mention she was one, but it does detail how we chose to change the trade agreement to help out the Dyrwood, and that she was kicked out and banished because of it. So at the very least there's acknowledgement there for our particular ending. 

I also haven't gone tooo far into the game while the import bugs are running around, so perhaps there's further dialog that coincides with our particular version of Pallegina. 

• Like 3

I had the same ending and thought first this was a bug. But I made my peace with it., that it doesn't exist. The developers seemed to think this was the best situation for the story and it worked kind of out. Same with Edér. Eh.

Edited by Harry Easter

Well, just watched the Stream and Josh said that this was really intended, even if she is a Kind Wayfarer, she really loves the republics and want to make peace with it.  So that's why  she is somewhat angry. The problem, he said, is that she doesn't adress the Kind Wayfarers with the player and that is a little problem, but in the end of the day, Pallegina is a daughter of the republics and been taken away from it breaks her, as a caravan guard or as a Kind Wayfarer...

So that's it!

• Like 2

I really hate that.

Pallegina in my playthrough is a Kind Wayfarer. I did what I thought was best for her and for the Dyrwood. I imported my save, and guess what, she is a disgraced soldier, she's sad and even angrier, like if I never cared for her in Pillars 1... So, if I want to Pallegina be happy in the Deadfire, I need to strenghten Dyrwood souls ( Make an pact with a god I personally dislike) JUST because they decide to desconsider my choice?

Why bring a companion back in this way? Desconsidering options they give to players? What about the whole "Choice and Consequence" thing?

Forcing me to make choices like that was not what I expected from obsidian, really sad...

Just because you like your choice and want it to be good, doesn't mean that the choice is good. They're not deconsidering your options, you made your choices and now you'll have to live with the consequences. No one is forcing you to make any specific choice, and if you made a bad choice like you obviously did, then that's your own goddamn fault. The world doesn't operate on the basis of what you want to happen, why should this game?

Edited by Ninjamestari

The most important step you take in your life is the next one.

I really hate that.

Just because you like your choice and want it to be good, doesn't mean that the choice is good. They're not deconsidering your options, you made your choices and now you'll have to live with the consequences. No one is forcing you to make any specific choice, and if you made a bad choice like you obviously did, then that's your own goddamn fault. The world doesn't operate on the basis of what you want to happen, why should this game?

If read my other posts you'll undertand what I mean

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to necro a old thread bud I am gonna have to agree wholeheartedly that I was thoroughly disappointed that my Pallagenia ending was not actually represented in game. My main import final save was a Kind Wayfarer. I could not wait to see if Pallagenia was going to react to my also being one in the new game, but they retconed the ending apparently and did not even have her mention the Kind Wayfarers as they related to HER.

My most anticipated character moment not only missed entirely, but ignored and retconned. Lame.

really that good ??? I have taking the pre-made save..so she is all loyale and stuff . Man..now I gotta see this !!! :biggrin:

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller