With the multi-classsing added in, a single-character game seems more feasible now. Perhaps with some variant of first-person perspective in a sandbox setting? It might make for an interesting interlude before a return to the PoE 1&2 format.

I was thinking more of an arpg but as a spin off. I'd also love to see an srpg as a spin off.

Yes, planning for PoE5 starts now.... err, I mean 3, PoE3.

The systems are solid and the combat has a good feel to it. Other that re-balancing the higher difficulties, I would be happy to see another game with these systems. The classes and multi class system is surprisingly solid considering how big of a change it was.  I look forward to trying out some interesting builds with it.

I enjoyed the ship combat more than I thought I would (I had never considered a career in piracy - sigh, missed opportunities) and I like that the option to board is always there.  

I would be happy to revisit the Deadfire, but there is also a lot more of the world so, maybe we'll get back to the Deadfire by PoE7 or so. However it goes, I'm going to need another piracy opportunity in the future. 

The companion relationship system is promising. The only issue was that there wasn't quite enough of it. I would like to see the relationships develop more over the course of the game (I had exhausted the possibilities fairly early in my play through and the NPCs didn't have any more to say).

I would like to see more of the watcher story. I promise to suspend disbelief at restarting at level 1 if the devs  promise not to murder my watcher between every game.

I think the writing has improved from PoE1 to White March to Deadfire. For me, a personal story and interesting companion characters are a big part of what makes a game good.  

Yes, planning for PoE5 starts now.... err, I mean 3, PoE3.

The systems are solid and the combat has a good feel to it. Other that re-balancing the higher difficulties, I would be happy to see another game with these systems. The classes and multi class system is surprisingly solid considering how big of a change it was.  I look forward to trying out some interesting builds with it.

I enjoyed the ship combat more than I thought I would (I had never considered a career in piracy - sigh, missed opportunities) and I like that the option to board is always there.  

I would be happy to revisit the Deadfire, but there is also a lot more of the world so, maybe we'll get back to the Deadfire by PoE7 or so. However it goes, I'm going to need another piracy opportunity in the future. 

The companion relationship system is promising. The only issue was that there wasn't quite enough of it. I would like to see the relationships develop more over the course of the game (I had exhausted the possibilities fairly early in my play through and the NPCs didn't have any more to say).

I would like to see more of the watcher story. I promise to suspend disbelief at restarting at level 1 if the devs  promise not to murder my watcher between every game.

I think the writing has improved from PoE1 to White March to Deadfire. For me, a personal story and interesting companion characters are a big part of what makes a game good.  

My main gripe with the game is the short and underwritten companion quests to be honest. They're promising enough mostly (though Tekehu doesn't seem to even have one, his development is just based on stuff with the Gullet it seems), but they end so quickly and abruptly. At least with Eder and Sagani's quests in the first game it felt like that abruptness and lack of closure was intentional, and it tied into the theme of them. Here it just kinda feels like I did a quick sidequest.

I'd prefer less open world stuff with dungeons that have no real story if we got more developed companion quests. Especially if they're more tied into the plot like Durance's.

http://www.gamebanshee.com/interviews/118557-pillars-of-eternity-ii-deadfire-interview/all-pages.html

Wow! Thank you for that link and info. And yes, it makes so much sense! Now, they have a fantastic tool box full with graphical solutions, moulds and scripts and systems. Why not make some easier money from those assets?

He said if PoE2 was a sales success. It's hard to tell, but the numbers on Steam look less than for PoE1 in the meantime -- any further development on Tyranny was also stopped save for a DLC after that didn't meet expectations. However, there was also that talk about doing a turn based combat game or more like a "Skyrim" type of game in the Pillars universe. Speaking about "easier money" -- that's what they basically did on Icewind Dale at Black Isle back then. Just take existing tech, Bioware's Infinity Engine, don't much iterate upon it, make a more stripped down dungeon and combat based game. You could argue that was similar to what had happened with the Gold Box D&D Games a decade earlier at SSI too. Keep the tech, just release a new adventure.

What that means that even at a fraction of the sales of BG, it still brought in the money. However, I have the feeling the full VO and stuff in Deadfire was in parts included after the runaway success of Original Sin 2. Who would have thought that a turn based series would ever outperform something far more visceral? Certainly not anybody at the Codex. :biggrin: I personally hope Obsi can keep doing this, smaller scale projects aside of their Fallout:New Vegas and Pillars:Skyrim, as I've personally both enjoyed PoE and Tyranny overall quite a bit. This includes the prospect of a turn based game -- due to the current mechanics, which in parts seem more suited to that kind of thing, combat can be more micro intensive than it ever much was on any Infinite Engine game.

Edited by Sven_

Is a poe3 even in the cards? Its pretty unusual for obsidian to stick to something.

I think  it's extremely likely they're create another sequel. The real question is whether or not the franchise will continue after that. It depends heavily on how good Pillars 3 turns out, which is uncertain at this point. They might push out a crappy game to get some easy money. Or they might invest in a bigger and better title than ever before. It's up to them, and the long term health of the franchise depends on their decision.

Personally I go with having some where new for the majority of the game. Oriental would be nice direction.

But I throw in a short story that makes you travel back to small selection of POE1 places example stalwart in white marsh and diefience bay. That way you get see what some your choices from first game have done to change places.

I have small visit to deadfires maybe city and couple islands that has its own short story. Again you'll see how things changed since you last visited.

Main story line would run through new area.

As for compainions mostly new compainions maybe bring back one thats been in it from start. one from deadfire rest new.

I add more thoughts once we see where the DLCs and balancing take us.