Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Ideas for a quick and dirty PoE3

the most premature thread ever made

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

Aramintai

Aramintai

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1424 posts
  • Steam:Aramintai
  • PSN Portable ID:Aramintai
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Is a poe3 even in the cards? Its pretty unusual for obsidian to stick to something.

Too much unfinished business in POE2 ending, too many unexplored lands. So they better make another one.

• injurai likes this

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

Apex of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5552 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

And they really master their hand-crafted 2D fold-up-technique now. Deadfire looks absolutely beautiful!

An all-icy region for PoE3 would be a bummer.

• Aramintai, Anouschnei, InsaneCommander and 1 other like this

Taurus

Taurus

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

They also need new weapons.

No two handed Great Axes or Hammers is a bummer. 

Also, new icons for the passives, those generics for everything suck.

• IndiraLightfoot likes this

InsaneCommander

InsaneCommander

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2070 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

A bigger PoE3? Make it the whole map of Eora. But if it has to be a specific area, I suggest the living lands too. Plenty of variation there.

As for the story, I'd prefer one that is not urgent, so you can realistically explore to your content. Maybe you need to collect artifacts or research different Engwithan sites before moving to the last area.

illathid

illathid

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 726 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:illathid
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I'd double down on the success of PoE2, and keep most things the same but get a new setting.

IIRC Rauatai is one the coast of a continent so you could do a fun hybrid sea/land campaign.

Sven_

Sven_

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 81 posts

Is a poe3 even in the cards? Its pretty unusual for obsidian to stick to something.

I think we've now invested a lot into the engine such that that making a Pillars of Eternity III will be easier, where if we had not invested much in the engine then we would have had to make a lot of changes between Pillars II and Pillars III.

Buck: Wait, did you just announce Pillars of Eternity III right here, right now?

Feargus: [LAUGHTER] Well, obviously, yes. If Eternity II is a sales success, we will be selling that and doing an Eternity III.

http://www.gamebansh.../all-pages.html

• IndiraLightfoot, illathid, Aramintai and 2 others like this

E.RedMark

E.RedMark

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 654 posts

Beside..the way the game end , it would be a shame and heartbreaking if they stop there . 

I for one , wouldn't care what would be our next destination as long as they deliver in the sense of WONDERS! and I mean..make beautiful scary dready horrible awesome places . I wanna see all of them , poke monsters and ask for directions ! Help the fool and helpless ! Loot the underserving and give to the poor and walk broke and rich at the same time!  :biggrin:

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

• Members
  • 5552 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I think we've now invested a lot into the engine such that that making a Pillars of Eternity III will be easier, where if we had not invested much in the engine then we would have had to make a lot of changes between Pillars II and Pillars III.

Buck: Wait, did you just announce Pillars of Eternity III right here, right now?

Feargus: [LAUGHTER] Well, obviously, yes. If Eternity II is a sales success, we will be selling that and doing an Eternity III.

http://www.gamebansh.../all-pages.html

Wow! Thank you for that link and info. And yes, it makes so much sense! Now, they have a fantastic tool box full with graphical solutions, moulds and scripts and systems.

Why not make some easier money from those assets?

lonelornfr

lonelornfr

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 79 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

While i'm not 100% sold on deadfire's new features, i would be happy to settle for a quick and dirty poe 3 with the same mechanics. Also i want dwarves. And an underground fortress. Let's go back to the basics !

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5055 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Isn't Josh Sawyer looking to take a break after PoE 2? A third game in the series may be a ways off, if ever.

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

• Members
  • 5552 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Josh Sawyer can do a Sid Meier, and start sliding into a consulting territory, letting some other able person like Eric Fenstermaker lead the work on PoE3.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot, 15 May 2018 - 10:20 AM.

• injurai likes this

Sedrefilos

Sedrefilos

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2060 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

They should use The Living Lands as setting next time. They can go even more wild there :p

• IndiraLightfoot, Aramintai, injurai and 1 other like this

injurai

injurai

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2301 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

As a reminder, Feargus is on record wanting to do PoE3, market permitting. It probably won't be Josh Sawyer direction, but will probably be someone else who is plenty capable of leading the project. Which would be a good chance for new ideas anyways.

I doubt they would take the IP anywhere until they finish out The Watchers story. Would 3 be this teams next project or might they take a gap project? Who knows, if they take a gap project then maybe Josh would return to finish what he started. I think everyone expects the world of Eora to be a place that many can leave their mark on over time.

Sedrefilos

Sedrefilos

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2060 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Isn't Josh Sawyer looking to take a break after PoE 2? A third game in the series may be a ways off, if ever.

He is. It can be directed by a different person,  though. And, yes, I don't believe there's gonna be a Pillars 3 any time soon. Maybe some other game in this setting. We're just tossing ideas for fun here :p

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

• Members
  • 5552 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Given how well planned out the three upcoming DLCs are, I'd say that PoE3 will prolly come sooner than many would expect:

-They have the world lore

-They have all the systems present in PoE2

-Feargus and Obsidian (and earlier Black Isle-staff) have been known to churn out fantastic content in just a year or so

-This time, it may not even be necessary to do any backer-based kickstarting - only investors on Fig, perhaps?

• InsaneCommander and Sanjid099 like this

injurai

injurai

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2301 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Given how well planned out the three upcoming DLCs are, I'd say that PoE3 will prolly come sooner than many would expect:

-Feargus and Obsidian (and earlier Black Isle-staff) have been known to churn out fantastic content in just a year or so

-This time, it may not even be necessary to do any backer-based kickstarting - only investors on Fig, perhaps?

If they have the ideas and vision, I think they would want to keep the momentum. Especially now that the IP is gaining a wider market. Which is why I think someone else will get to direct. Fresh ideas and vision to strike while the iron is hot.

• InsaneCommander and E.RedMark like this

Tigranes

Tigranes

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 10491 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Churning out content in a year really destroyed the health and happiness of many a developer - sometimes temporarily, sometimes permanently - when it was done with games like IWD2 and New Vegas, and it only happened because BIS/Obsidian were under such massive financial pressures. I would hope that the same thing does not happen again.

It will all depend on the financial viability. You can't kickstart every single game forever, and these games were always for a niche audience, so what kind of profit will they make? Will full voice acting, console versions, etc. bring in enough money? And how is the rest of Obsidian doing financially? Obsidian has survived for so long, but only through an unending series of frantic moves laying off developers, or getting half the company to work on a non-RPG money-maker like Armoured Warfare. One hopes that they can keep teams together and actually have them mature their craft.

• E.RedMark likes this

Wormerine

Wormerine

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2984 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I am still keeping my fingers crossed hoping that if Deadfire will sell well enough a big-post campaign expansion for Deadfire would come. The three DLC plan reminds me more of Firaxis model more, than anything else.

However, putting a rushed sequel in a long run might hurt them more than help. Quality takes time. Some people might be happy with a smaller, similar project, others might see it as rippoff. They shouldn't follow EAs policy (sell while people like it), as if they fail, they will be the ones suffering.  

the_dog_days

the_dog_days

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1171 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Yeah, I have a hard time imaging POE3 coming out before 2021 or later.

ultornet

ultornet

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 11 posts
If it happens, I'd love to see:
- Interesting regions with interesting landscapes like Readceras or Old Vailia
- Maybe a new protagonist and entirely new companions
- Concelhaut again
- Taking away the ships and isles stuff of Deadfire (although I really enjoy that so far) and replacing it with good old large and interesting maps (some maps in Deadfire could have offered more to explore, like in PoE1)

Also an idea of mine: Why not combine companions and hirelings? Like, create a party of 5 and decide which background and story they get. Though this may be very hard to implement.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: the, most, premature, thread, ever, made

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users