Is a poe3 even in the cards? Its pretty unusual for obsidian to stick to something.

I think we've now invested a lot into the engine such that that making a Pillars of Eternity III will be easier, where if we had not invested much in the engine then we would have had to make a lot of changes between Pillars II and Pillars III.

Buck: Wait, did you just announce Pillars of Eternity III right here, right now?

Feargus: [LAUGHTER] Well, obviously, yes. If Eternity II is a sales success, we will be selling that and doing an Eternity III.

http://www.gamebanshee.com/interviews/118557-pillars-of-eternity-ii-deadfire-interview/all-pages.html

• Like 5

Beside..the way the game end , it would be a shame and heartbreaking if they stop there . 

I for one , wouldn't care what would be our next destination as long as they deliver in the sense of WONDERS! and I mean..make beautiful scary dready horrible awesome places . I wanna see all of them , poke monsters and ask for directions ! Help the fool and helpless ! Loot the underserving and give to the poor and walk broke and rich at the same time!  :biggrin:

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

Is a poe3 even in the cards? Its pretty unusual for obsidian to stick to something.

I think we've now invested a lot into the engine such that that making a Pillars of Eternity III will be easier, where if we had not invested much in the engine then we would have had to make a lot of changes between Pillars II and Pillars III.

Buck: Wait, did you just announce Pillars of Eternity III right here, right now?

Feargus: [LAUGHTER] Well, obviously, yes. If Eternity II is a sales success, we will be selling that and doing an Eternity III.

http://www.gamebanshee.com/interviews/118557-pillars-of-eternity-ii-deadfire-interview/all-pages.html

Wow! Thank you for that link and info. And yes, it makes so much sense! Now, they have a fantastic tool box full with graphical solutions, moulds and scripts and systems.

Why not make some easier money from those assets?

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Josh Sawyer can do a Sid Meier, and start sliding into a consulting territory, letting some other able person like Eric Fenstermaker lead the work on PoE3.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

As a reminder, Feargus is on record wanting to do PoE3, market permitting. It probably won't be Josh Sawyer direction, but will probably be someone else who is plenty capable of leading the project. Which would be a good chance for new ideas anyways.

I doubt they would take the IP anywhere until they finish out The Watchers story. Would 3 be this teams next project or might they take a gap project? Who knows, if they take a gap project then maybe Josh would return to finish what he started. I think everyone expects the world of Eora to be a place that many can leave their mark on over time.

• Like 1

Isn't Josh Sawyer looking to take a break after PoE 2? A third game in the series may be a ways off, if ever.

He is. It can be directed by a different person,  though. And, yes, I don't believe there's gonna be a Pillars 3 any time soon. Maybe some other game in this setting. We're just tossing ideas for fun here :p

Given how well planned out the three upcoming DLCs are, I'd say that PoE3 will prolly come sooner than many would expect:

-They have the world lore

-They have all the systems present in PoE2

-Feargus and Obsidian (and earlier Black Isle-staff) have been known to churn out fantastic content in just a year or so

-This time, it may not even be necessary to do any backer-based kickstarting - only investors on Fig, perhaps?

• Like 2

Given how well planned out the three upcoming DLCs are, I'd say that PoE3 will prolly come sooner than many would expect:

-Feargus and Obsidian (and earlier Black Isle-staff) have been known to churn out fantastic content in just a year or so

-This time, it may not even be necessary to do any backer-based kickstarting - only investors on Fig, perhaps?

If they have the ideas and vision, I think they would want to keep the momentum. Especially now that the IP is gaining a wider market. Which is why I think someone else will get to direct. Fresh ideas and vision to strike while the iron is hot.

• Like 2

Churning out content in a year really destroyed the health and happiness of many a developer - sometimes temporarily, sometimes permanently - when it was done with games like IWD2 and New Vegas, and it only happened because BIS/Obsidian were under such massive financial pressures. I would hope that the same thing does not happen again.

It will all depend on the financial viability. You can't kickstart every single game forever, and these games were always for a niche audience, so what kind of profit will they make? Will full voice acting, console versions, etc. bring in enough money? And how is the rest of Obsidian doing financially? Obsidian has survived for so long, but only through an unending series of frantic moves laying off developers, or getting half the company to work on a non-RPG money-maker like Armoured Warfare. One hopes that they can keep teams together and actually have them mature their craft.

• Like 1

I am still keeping my fingers crossed hoping that if Deadfire will sell well enough a big-post campaign expansion for Deadfire would come. The three DLC plan reminds me more of Firaxis model more, than anything else.

However, putting a rushed sequel in a long run might hurt them more than help. Quality takes time. Some people might be happy with a smaller, similar project, others might see it as rippoff. They shouldn't follow EAs policy (sell while people like it), as if they fail, they will be the ones suffering.  

If it happens, I'd love to see:

- Interesting regions with interesting landscapes like Readceras or Old Vailia

- Maybe a new protagonist and entirely new companions

- Concelhaut again

- Taking away the ships and isles stuff of Deadfire (although I really enjoy that so far) and replacing it with good old large and interesting maps (some maps in Deadfire could have offered more to explore, like in PoE1)

Also an idea of mine: Why not combine companions and hirelings? Like, create a party of 5 and decide which background and story they get. Though this may be very hard to implement.

Well, if Obsidian follows the typical RPG grand campaign tropes, there really are only two things they can do from here, IF they wanna hold on to this main character, that is:

Planar travel or an oriental/asian inspired setting.

As for the next "gimik": Dunno, managing your own kingdom?

Edited by warbaby2

My main hope is that they go back to hub areas and dungeons instead of an open world map. I feel like a lot of Deadfire's content is fetch quests and dungeons with no real story or meaning, just scattered on islands.

It felt like I was wasting my time with filler content at times instead of doing actual interesting stuff.

Also want to put in a vote for Ixamitl Plains because my Watcher is from there and I really like Orlans.

EDIT: This is super minor but I'd like to be able to just click a button in character creation to make it automatically make your character look like your portrait. I believe they said they were planning on not adding many portraits for the very purpose of letting your character look much closer to them, but I still had trouble getting it to look like my portrait.

EDIT 2: Also I feel like the plot of this game was pointless, the Watcher really accomplishes nothing. They could've had Eothas destroy the Wheel as the opening of the game, and then the plot deals with the fallout of that and people discovering the gods aren't real. I feel like this is going to be the plot of PoE3 though, so this was more of a filler setup game inbetween.

Edited by MindWeb
  • Like 3

Well, I'm nowhere near completing Deadfire yet, but my quick thoughts for PoE3:

- Location: Back to the typical Medieval Europe setting. I need more wilderness and more snow environments

- More meaningful maps (so far, most Deadfire maps seem small, minus Neketaka and the 4 level dungeon I came across)

- Bigger dungeons. Give me something with some meat on it, like Endless Paths

- Go back to letting me choose spells to put in a grimoire

- I enjoy the naval battle/ship stuff, but it's kinda a one off. Not needed for next game

- Get elves and dwarves involved more. I'm already getting tired of the Vailians and Aumaua/Huana

- Keep the Ranger class!

- Bring back PoE's level up design as apposed to Deadfire's skill tree

- Need more spells

- Ability to name pets

- Keep the stealth stuff coming. More ideas and options would be welcome

- Keep the reputation wheel and all the rep and ability stuff in the dialogue. Really helps out when choosing what to say and how I want to roll play

- Would really love PoE3 to be the Baldur's Gate 2 of this generation. Let's go out with a bang. 150+ hours, sweet dragon battles, tons of maps. Let's go all out, Obsidian!

I'll edit my post if/when I think of more.

I like what you're  saying here, Jayngo, though not 100%. 

1.  I like the reputation wheel.

2. I'm not fond of the abilities trees.  It's not the content of the abilities trees.  It's the fact that It's annoying has hell having to hover the cursor over every friggin' single circle trying to figure out what each ability icon is.  Give me back a text based list!!!  I can read through a text list like ten or more times faster than having to hover over each of the damned icons!!!

3.  Rangers:  Please make ranger pets into an at-creation optional thing, rather than a mandatory thing.  And come up with some other ability that rangers who choose to be pet-less will get instead of a pet.  Also, add more non-pet related Ranger abilities.

4.  Bigger dungeons.  Absolutely YES!!!  They don't have to be quite as deep as the Endless Paths, but big nonetheless.  I'm reminded of the great big dungeon in the IWD1 free add-on Tales of the Loremaster.  That was a  great dungeon as well!!!

5.  Setting.  I don't need it to be back to a true Medieval Europe  setting, but it'd be nice if it was something different from the Dyrwood and Deadfire.  I don't know that I was a fully arctic setting either though.  OTOH, is there enough meat on the bone for a White That Wends setting?  I have to admit that I like more rural settings more than urban ones.  Some people seem to have a need for a big city.  I don't.  I don't know if this is because these people live in cities themselves or not.  (I've wondered if the relative dislike of Xoti and her accent comes from players who are city dwellers who have an ingrained dislike of people they see as hicks and rednecks, and they see Xoti this way.)

A White That Wends setting would get you plenty of Pale Elves.  A Naasitaq setting would get you plenty of dwarves.  And there might be something to be said for a Living Lands setting with its wide variety of weather, etc.

6.  Stronghold.  I'd be happy of the PC's "stronghold" was a pleasant cabin in the woods.  Or if there was a city, perhaps a nice little townhouse.  Nothing that needs any serious managing.  

7.  Weapons.  I'd like to see a very wide variety of weapons, with plenty of choices of each type.  I do like how anyone (aside from a Devoted) can use any weapon with proficiency.  And that taking the proficiency only gives the character access to the weapon's special ability.

Speaking of weapons, I really wish that they'd give quarterstaves another look.  I don't like that they're essentially slow, reach weapons.  When I think of quarterstaves, i think of a weapons that doesn't have particularly special reach because you hold it in the middle.  And I don't think of it as a particularly slow weapon.  i tend to think of it as a relative quick weapon compared to other 2 handed weapons because it's mostly made out of wood rather than steel, plus you're holding it at its center of gravity, not at an end.

And I'm with the previous poster who suggested adding 2H great axes and 2H great hammers (or whatever they should be called).  I'd also like to see more Eastern style weapons.  I know that some "eastern" weapons are mostly the same as medieval European weapons, but not all.  I think that having a Katana in the game, whether it gets called that or not, would be nice, perhaps as some sort of 2H weapon that doesn't necessarily hit as hard as a greatsword or estoc, but might be faster, more capable of crits, and slashing only.  Sort of like a saber but requiring 2H to properly wield, and thus more damaging than a saber (or perhaps only more damaging if you had the 2H weapon style).

8. More spells?  Personally, I don't really care for more spells myself.  The variety of spells is already so great that it's confusing knowing what to take and use without adding even more to the confusion.

9. Subclasses.  I don't mind the concept of subclasses.  Not at all.  But I really would like to see more depth and lore added to some of them. 

10. Sub races.  I'd love to see more subraces added to the game.  But I do get the feeling that the reason we don't see more is that, at least for some subraces, it might require adding more animation models, at least for those that don't already exist.  That said, would it be all that difficult to add in those models for the Avian and Marine GL's, since there are already NPCs that are of those races, and models for them already exist?

It'd also be nice to see a little wider array of past professions, as well as not having so many of the existing ones limited to 1 or 2 cultures.  And for what little it's worth, is there really any reason for there to be a Raider and a Mercenary profession?  Seems to me that they're so similar in nature that they could be combined into a single common slot.

I think that it'd be nice to add a third subrace to those races that have only  two at the moment.  This could include Aumaua, Dwarfs, Elves, and Orlans.

Anyways, that's all I have for now. 

• Like 1

Well, if Obsidian follows the typical RPG grand campaign tropes, there really are only two things they can do from here, IF they wanna hold on to this main character, that is:

Planar travel or an oriental/asian inspired setting.

As for the next "gimik": Dunno, managing your own kingdom?

An Arctic setting?  (Could be a little boring visually, but it is "different".) 

As for an oriental/asian inspired setting, given that some of Eora's cultures have been a mishmash of Earth cultures, there's no reason that they couldn't come up with a pseudo-Asian culture that was a mashup of, say, Japanese and something screwy, like ancient Egyptian. 

Also, do we know if all of Eora has been properly explored?   Are there any significantly large regions that have never been explored?  It seems entirely possible that if the devs wanted to say "yes", there's no reason it couldn't be "yes".  Furthermore, that might even make for an interesting setting.

Say that after the events of PoE2, the Watcher and friends go on a "3 hour tour" on the Minnow, er, I mean, the Defiant and get lost in a storm.  And end up ship wrecked on an unknown shore, that just so happens to be of this heretofore unknown Eoran land and culture.  And that the entire story revolves around exploring this new land and eventually ends up with the Watcher having to resolve some great problem.  And perhaps finding a way to get home, wherever "home" may be for a Watcher whose home at Caed Nua has been stomped flat by Eothas and ends up living on a sea-going RV, I mean, sloop.

And maybe the game could start with you back in Berath's little room, where she says "Not again!  Just figure out who you are and get outta here!"  :skull:

And maybe the game could start with you back in Berath's little room, where she says "Not again!  Just figure out who you are and get outta here!"   :skull:

:lol: now..thats how LEGENDE start....on ward! 

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

An Arctic setting?  (Could be a little boring visually, but it is "different".) 

Covered with White March... I doubt the setting has much more to it then we already got, I mean, there even was an ice dragon.

Nope, fact is, with PoE1 and WM1+2 they already covered most of what the BG and IWD series did, all that's left for an eventual PoE3 is something "new".

• Like 1

With the multi-classsing added in, a single-character game seems more feasible now. Perhaps with some variant of first-person perspective in a sandbox setting? It might make for an interesting interlude before a return to the PoE 1&2 format.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

With the multi-classsing added in, a single-character game seems more feasible now. Perhaps with some variant of first-person perspective in a sandbox setting? It might make for an interesting interlude before a return to the PoE 1&2 format.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Absolutely NOOOOO!!!!!  This type of game is all about playing a PARTY of multiple characters, not playing solo!  Turning PoE3 into a solo game would be the absolutely worst decision possible, and would guarantee that I'd never buy another PoE game.

• Like 2

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Absolutely NOOOOO!!!!!  This type of game is all about playing a PARTY of multiple characters, not playing solo!  Turning PoE3 into a solo game would be the absolutely worst decision possible, and would guarantee that I'd never buy another PoE game.

...suggesting to turn a cRPG series into the same, generic FPS model that pretty much was the standard for RPGs in the last two decades... never wise, especially on a forum full of people that payed to get a classic cRPG made... twice. :D

Seriously though, there are enough first and 3rd person, solo RPGs out there, and with Cyberpunk and Skyrim 6 down the line, I think that market doesn't need another contender.

• Like 1