Having played Deadfire like a maniac now, and already feeling the fear of abstinence, I reckon Obsidian sits on a diamond in the rough.

Here are my quick and dirty suggestions:

-Deadfire's interfaces and systems are for the most part spot on and great - reuse them in PoE3

-Naval combat can be dropped

-Either add a new map, like 33% bigger, with half of it being a coastline with an archipelago, and the other half being a huge overland continental thingie

-Start from level 1 again, with all new characters

-Pick some other climate and a few new cultures

-Add new music and monsters, plus a few new spells and abilities

-Just do minor class adjustments, no other system changed, really

And add a tighter story, more urgent and involving, perhaps personal.

Then stir and enjoy a fabulous PoE3!

Let's say, Autumn 2019, shall we?

What are your ideas for PoE3?

All I know that I want to see a PoE3 as soon as possible!

• Like 4

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I could do without the ship or the stronghold back in POE1 . Those 'endless' unless they give me a Diablo 1 kinda of endless....nah . I pass . 

A simple home would be fine though . But no more of 'X visitor is waiting for you messir!' Just for him to be timed and get there and he is gone . 

The class are fine . But my biggest gripes is the amount of dialogues related to class , race , deity and such . Make them equal in numbers!!!! 

Yes , I'm with you on the story . And for the love of god , here is a tip : Nobody like a misleading story . A good exemple is NWN2 Mask of betrayer where the whole time..it make you feel like you can destroy the wall of faithless . Just to have bozo God show up and give you an Arishok NO . 

Same here , make me think I can change how it end..but it doesn't . 

• Like 2
I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

Well, I'm nowhere near completing Deadfire yet, but my quick thoughts for PoE3:

- Location: Back to the typical Medieval Europe setting. I need more wilderness and more snow environments

- More meaningful maps (so far, most Deadfire maps seem small, minus Neketaka and the 4 level dungeon I came across)

- Bigger dungeons. Give me something with some meat on it, like Endless Paths

- Go back to letting me choose spells to put in a grimoire

- I enjoy the naval battle/ship stuff, but it's kinda a one off. Not needed for next game

- Get elves and dwarves involved more. I'm already getting tired of the Vailians and Aumaua/Huana

- Keep the Ranger class!

- Bring back PoE's level up design as apposed to Deadfire's skill tree

- Need more spells

- Ability to name pets

- Keep the stealth stuff coming. More ideas and options would be welcome

- Keep the reputation wheel and all the rep and ability stuff in the dialogue. Really helps out when choosing what to say and how I want to roll play

- Would really love PoE3 to be the Baldur's Gate 2 of this generation. Let's go out with a bang. 150+ hours, sweet dragon battles, tons of maps. Let's go all out, Obsidian!

I'll edit my post if/when I think of more.

Edited by Jayngo
  • Like 5

@E.RedMark: You and me both. I'd easily trade a hub like a ship or a stronghold for tonnes of more RP reactivity based on my background and character traits.

Perhaps they can borrow a page from Storm of Zehir and have your party members' avaialble for all sorts of dialogue interactions?

I also think that levelling go to fast in Deadfire. I'd prefer a slower xp gain.

And even more exploration and surprises, please. The overland map is nice and all, but let's face it - those islands are pretty empty and uneventful. Cram heaps of surprises into our CRPG experience and watch us smile widely!

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Deadfire's skill tree is just PoE's level up design with everything displayed on the same page and a few more abilities and upgrade.

Edited by morhilane

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Well, I'm nowhere near completing Deadfire yet, but my quick thoughts for PoE3:

-I need more wilderness and more snow environments

- More meaningful maps (so far, most Deadfire maps seem small, minus Neketaka and the 4 level dungeon I came across)

- Need more spells

- Ability to name pets

- Keep the stealth stuff coming. More ideas and options would be welcome

- Keep the reputation wheel and all the rep and ability stuff in the dialogue. Really helps out when choosing what to say and how I want to roll play

- Would really love PoE3 to be the Baldur's Gate 2 of this generation. Let's go out with a bang. 150+ hours, sweet dragon battles, tons of maps. Let's go all out, Obsidian!

I agree 100% with these points.

May I wish for lvl 1-30 for PoE3? Perhaps the map needs to be 50-70% bigger then? The year 2020? *Gulp*

• Like 1

@E.RedMark: You and me both. I'd easily trade a hub like a ship or a stronghold for tonnes of more RP reactivity based on my background and character traits.

Perhaps they can borrow a page from Storm of Zehir and have your party members' avaialble for all sorts of dialogue interactions?

I also think that levelling go to fast in Deadfire. I'd prefer a slower xp gain.

And even more exploration and surprises, please. The overland map is nice and all, but let's face it - those islands are pretty empty and uneventful. Cram heaps of surprises into our CRPG experience and watch us smile widely!

yeah too bad POE has no tie to Icewind Dale . Cose I would love re-visit that region again..

• Like 1
I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

Since Josh & Co did so many systemic changes going from PoE1 to Deadfire, I'd love to see Obsidian capitalize on this successful recipe.

Full focus on story, reactivity and exploration, and reuse as much as humanly possible from Deafire and make a big, phat PoE3!

Since Josh & Co did so many systemic changes going from PoE1 to Deadfire, I'd love to see Obsidian capitalize on this successful recipe.

Full focus on story, reactivity and exploration, and reuse as much as humanly possible from Deafire and make a big, phat PoE3!

but then we'll be stuck on island and Pirate! we need to see more of the world !

I mean..we have many choices : The Living Lands, The White That Wends , Aedyr, Ixamitl Plains, Old Valia, Rauatai. 

So let's go to ones of these next ! 

• Like 1

Elderly Hive Dweller

Deadfire's skill tree is just PoE's level up design with everything displayed on the same page and a few more abilities and upgrade.

Eh, is it? I remember a ton of passives you could choose from, under multiple categories. Sure, there are many I never chose, but having those options really make the level up experience that more enjoyable to me.

• Like 1

Hmm, perhaps have the Watcher die, and become an awakened soul that replaces the original mind in the new body. The game would begin as you wake up in a strange body, in a strange bed surrounded by strange people who are referring to you with a strange name. You would occasionally recover bits and pieces of the memories of the person your consciousness replaced, which could drive the story forward at certain points. You'll be then able to resolve the plot with the combination of your Watcher's memories and the memories of the person you've taken over.

Let the old crew be either dead and buried or old and feeble so that you might get some dialogue out of them but no longer travel with them.

Also, let something go HORRIBLY wrong, in an apocalyptic sense, in the time gap between the games, so that you can have a clean start, perhaps without firearms this time, and let the player explore the ancient ruins of the Vailian Republics to rediscover knowledge of their experiments with Luminous Adra etcetera.

EDIT: actually, you could have all your original party members dead, so you could then visit their graves, learn of their fates etcetera. Perhaps you could even find a couple of their souls already inhabiting new bodies, living new lives. There's just so much stuff you could do with that setting, where you are essentially an ancient being with memories from the time that is a mystery to all others.

Edited by Ninjamestari

The most important step you take in your life is the next one.

We went for the very easy going adventure in Deadfire. Go complete opposite for PoE3.

First: we go 3D. Not, full 3D, still the top down, isometric, but no 2d prerendered backgrounds. Allows for modability, hopefully easier to edit/generate. If one would want to make it clear that it is different PoE experience, then go even turnbased I say.

White that Wends. You are looking for something there. Resources are difficult to come by, land is unforgiving. You don’t adventure personally anymore. It’s too dangerous. Characters you send out aren’t handwritten companions. However, they do have unique interactions, like in IWD2. Ability to rest is limited, stamina and spells aren’t plentiful. Characters can and will die. Story comes from the land you uncover and characters you meet. Role of companions take over various character at your main camp, merchants, smiths etc.

So in my opinion, they could look at Storm of Zehir for that too. I found the overland map there to be more eventful and immersive. And for me it had more atmosphere, too.

Edited by Fluffle
  • Like 1

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

We went for the very easy going adventure in Deadfire. Go complete opposite for PoE3.

First: we go 3D. Not, full 3D, still the top down, isometric, but no 2d prerendered backgrounds. Allows for modability, hopefully easier to edit/generate. If one would want to make it clear that it is different PoE experience, then go even turnbased I say.

White that Wends. You are looking for something there. Resources are difficult to come by, land is unforgiving. You don’t adventure personally anymore. It’s too dangerous. Characters you send out aren’t handwritten companions. However, they do have unique interactions, like in IWD2. Ability to rest is limited, stamina and spells aren’t plentiful. Characters can and will die. Story comes from the land you uncover and characters you meet. Role of companions take over various character at your main camp, merchants, smiths etc.

Ugh, not 3D backgrounds  :yucky:  - they will look waay uglier than hand made 2D. Modders are a tiny minority anyway, most of the players just want to play the vanilla and be awed by good graphics.

White that Wends sounds very boring - dismal permafrost wasteland. I'm not against it being one of the destinations, but not for the whole game. I remember there was this cool quest in BG1 - party got teleported to the south pole into anti-magic prison with no obvious way to escape. 

Edited by Aramintai
  • Like 3

Is a poe3 even in the cards? Its pretty unusual for obsidian to stick to something.

They never stick to something because Pillars of Eternity is their first owned intellectual property, everything else was contractual work.

There will be more Pillars of Eternity games, but probably not soon.

• Like 2

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Ixamitl Plains

Companions like Durance, Zahua and Kana

As moddable as possible

Multiclass moar classes

*We need souls, we can get them by convince Ixamitl to give us a fraction of theirs by helping them against invaders and other things, and talking to them (culture of scholars and philosophers), taking their souls with help of the invaders, trick them, making the regions fight, getting and entire region souls, getting them to help us take the souls of the invaders, getting them to give us the people they choose to sacrifice, etc.

(*): Edit

Edited by esyvjrt

No. Not 3D backgrounds for a game like this. We have D:OS for that.

I would much rather have Obsidian stick to the tradition cRPG formula.

Edited by Jayngo
  • Like 5

Is a poe3 even in the cards? Its pretty unusual for obsidian to stick to something.

Too much unfinished business in POE2 ending, too many unexplored lands. So they better make another one.

• Like 1

And they really master their hand-crafted 2D fold-up-technique now. Deadfire looks absolutely beautiful!

An all-icy region for PoE3 would be a bummer.

• Like 4

A bigger PoE3? Make it the whole map of Eora. But if it has to be a specific area, I suggest the living lands too. Plenty of variation there.

As for the story, I'd prefer one that is not urgent, so you can realistically explore to your content. Maybe you need to collect artifacts or research different Engwithan sites before moving to the last area.

sign.jpg

I'd double down on the success of PoE2, and keep most things the same but get a new setting.

IIRC Rauatai is one the coast of a continent so you could do a fun hybrid sea/land campaign.

• Like 1

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer