If you pickup this quest initially, where you have to find the Cornett of the Waves and head down into the Old City on other quests, you can find the Cornett of the Depths. This "jumps" the quest ahead and you get quest updates about stuff you've never discussed with Dereo. Especially once you find Ondra's Temple.

Quest Log: https://imgur.com/a/u8iUyZT

Personally, if you have the quest and haven't picked up Cornett of the Waves, I would simply add an entry of "Dereo mentioned the Cornett of the Depths was lost, maybe I should talk to him and show it to him." or similar. Then when you reach Ondra's Temple, I wouldn't update the journal at all (as that hasn't been discussed). Instead, when Dereo mentions anything about it, you can have a conversation option of "I think I saw something like that in the Old City".

Either that, or disable the event to pickup the Cornett of the Depths, until you have reached that part of the quest.

If you don't have the quest, I assume you shouldn't have anything appear in your log (I can't be bothered testing this) when you pickup Cornett of the Depths. Then when you chat to Dereo and he mentions it, you can have the conversation line of "Oh, you mean this item I have in my backpack? It was in the Old City ..."

Anyway, hope you rework this quest (even if it's not quite as I suggest), as the journal entry updates are currently severely flawed.

Update:

- Can still acquire the Cornett of the Waves from Takano (yay something right) and you can even show him the Cornett of the Depths if you want.

- Once you talk to Dereo after finding the mosaic, there's nothing about showing him either of the Cornetts, just reporting the mosaic. At which point, the quest is done and dusted.

- You seem to be automatically flagged as friendly with the Undercroft peeps, once you pickup Cornett of the Depths.

This also impacts the following quests (to one degree or another, as once you're in the Old City, you're forced to leave via the Undercroft:

- Trade Secrets: Jumps this quest forward. You go from having to get closer to Dereo to learn more about the smuggling, to "Oh look, there it is, better tell the prince", after having one conversation with Dereo (to get the quest The Cornett's Call).

- Goods and Services: If you've gotten the note from Captain Aeldys, but haven't gone to her yet, you'll run into Mad Morena (who potentially becomes hostile after chatting). Needs option to say you're friendly with Dereo or the Principi (I didn't notice one).

Edited by Shakyr

I've found on this one that Dereo starts talking about Morena five minutes after I've sliced her in twain. And she never even introduced herself. She's got a great sabre though.

You read my post.

You have been eaten by a grue.