The Athenaeum - Reading updates and Literary Review from the Obsidian Elite (this means you)

Amentep

Now reading

51BWiRpyM3L._SX311_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

On 8/8/2020 at 9:18 AM, Guard Dog said:

The first one. The next is too ponderous. Third one looks just ok. 

Yep, is on list.  Forgot I didn't finish reading

Russia Against Napoleon: The Battle for Europe, 1807 to 1814 by ...

Nothing terribly new, but is always nice to recover familiar ground.   Hm, I've read a lot of stuff about Russia, lately.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

On 8/13/2020 at 6:19 PM, Malcador said:

Nothing terribly new, but is always nice to recover familiar ground.   Hm, I've read a lot of stuff about Russia, lately.

Fits with your commie YouTube suggestions, comrade.

😄

Anyway, I feel slightely cheated, not sure if Amazon or the publisher is to blame but I've read three of the four The Old Republic books now but the fourth - Annihilation - is not available for Kindle as a single book, only as part of a four book collection that I don't need because I already have the others. The hell?

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Is EA the publisher ? 😛

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

3 hours ago, Malcador said:

Is EA the publisher ? 😛

Sure looks like it. :p

Anyway, (re)reading Dune in anticipation of the Villeneuve film. Forgot how great a read that is and kinda can't stop reading.

• Like 1

Now reading:

51bJ7aEW2pL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

An interesting historical figure. Few eyewitnesses to history are so accessible to the modern world. Almost all of the new testament of the bible are letters he wrote. When you read them you are reading the words of a man who actually lived in the Roman Empire. And there are always little details about it that can be gleaned from them. In addition to that, but for this one man, who never laid eye on Jesus while he lived, the Christian Religion would likely have died out  in the third century. Perhaps consigned to a small minor faith found only in Turkey, Israel, and the modern remnants of the hellenic world. There are few times you can say this but this one man changed the world. And he did it by travelling and writing letters. 

The book is doing a pretty good job discussing Paul of Tarsus as a man and historical figure, 

• Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

2 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Almost all of the new testament of the bible are letters he wrote.

Hopefully I don't make an enemy with this book recommendation

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

4 hours ago, Achilles said:

Hopefully I don't make an enemy with this book recommendation

Added to my "to do" list

• Thanks 1

Thomas Sowell

4 minutes ago, majestic said:

Finished Dune. Unsure if I want to continue with Dune Messiah right away.

Why not enjoy the prequels ?

• Haha 2

It's been a while since I was disappointed by a sci-fi novel. Thought I'd see how bad this one is:

2940012514493_p0_v3_s550x406.jpg

So it's just OK. Mildly entertaining. 

Thomas Sowell

Settled on reading Animal Farm. It's been sitting on my Kindle for a while now and it'll tide me over until I've made up my mind about continuing Dune or doing something else entirely.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

It's been a while since I was disappointed by a sci-fi novel. Thought I'd see how bad this one is:

Have you tried some of  L.E.Modesitt Jr. sci-fi? Action scenes can be a bit on off, but he does tend to spend more time posing ethical / morality / philosophical questions about the nature of society as it develops higher technology.  What I find a touch interesting is how he'll write one story posing that x is correct, then a few years later he'll write another that takes the opposite viewpoint.

Although things that seem constant do tend to be thoughts on how the more advanced the technology becomes, the more personal self-responsibility and transparency is required.

Edit: And some can be a touch fun pulpy sci-fi wrapped around it.

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Thanks Raithe, I'll give him a look.

Thomas Sowell

19 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

How let down do you want to be? I find the military fantasy genre particularly good at that.

Yeah, Marko Kloos and his abandoned Frontlines series did that.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

How let down do you want to be? I find the military fantasy genre particularly good at that.

You can always tell when military fiction (science or otherwise) was written by someone who was never in the military. Even if they got the details mostly right. Compare Joe Halderman's Forever War & John Scalzi's Old Man's War. Both are good examples of military sci fi and both are good stories. But you could tell Halderman was a vet and Scalzi wasn't. 

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

5 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

You can always tell when military fiction (science or otherwise) was written by someone who was never in the military. Even if they got the details mostly right. Compare Joe Halderman's Forever War & John Scalzi's Old Man's War. Both are good examples of military sci fi and both are good stories. But you could tell Halderman was a vet and Scalzi wasn't. 

Scalzi also seems to think characters that are constant smartass snarks are good.

11 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

I've been reading John Ringo's books and its pretty clear he was military.

Have you hit the "Oh John Ringo No!" yet?

1 hour ago, Hurlshot said:

I just started the 2nd, book, so not yet. :p

Note... Depends on which series of his you're reading.

Legacy of Aldenata - More military sci-fi, some right wingism, you don't get the "oh john ringo no!" moments until the last couple of books.

Troy Rising - Pulpy silly fun, with only a  couple of "oh john ringo no!" moments.

Empire of Man - co-written with David Weber. All fairly sane (as Baen sci-fi co-authored by those two can be).

Paladin of Shadows / Ghost -  The originator of the "oh john ringo no!" meme. It's there from the very first chapter and goes on.

I've got a few friends who have been involved in running sci-fi/fantasy conventions in the US, and one of the things they all agree on, is that John Ringo can be an entertaining, well-spoken, intelligent individual.. who is incredibly upfront about the fact that he can also be a complete ****, and that you better be prepared for that when you talk to him. He pretty much hangs the sign of "I'm an ****, if you talk to me, don't be surprised, if you are, you chose to engage me in conversation knowing that."

• Thanks 1

Finished Animal Farm. Now reading the ramblings of a madman about the Übermensch:

41abhaOsqcL._SX338_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Anyways, while I haven't read Animal Farm until now I have seen the animated film it was turned into. Is it just me or is the book a lot less anti-communist than it is generally accepted to be, and rather much more anti-Stalin and anti-authoritarianism? Life on the farm was pretty good until Stalin kicked out Trotsky*, abolished democracy and began his reign of terror.

*At least I get now why Orwell's been called a "rabid" Trotskyist by his detractors. :)

Edited by majestic