The Athenaeum - Reading updates and Literary Review from the Obsidian Elite (this means you)

Amentep

I see quite a few people saying New Jedi Order is the height of old Star Wars Legends. Which considering how much I appreciate Zhan's books, and him never writting a single NJO book, it comes across as high praise for that period.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

1 hour ago, Tale said:

I see quite a few people saying New Jedi Order is the height of old Star Wars Legends. Which considering how much I appreciate Zhan's books, and him never writting a single NJO book, it comes across as high praise for that period.

NJO was pretty divisive. As far as the novels go (of which there are 19) there are better and worse ones, the writing can be a little uneven, but that's to be expected with a dozen authors contributing to the series. I'd say the absolute low point is Dark Journey which is about Jaina Solo,  the Dark Side of the force, royalty, a terrible romance plot and pretty dresses. And no, I'm not making that up. Exaggerating? Sure, for effect, as it were. But not much.

The hubub came from certain creative decisions, like the deaths of major characters, a somewhat significant expansion or change to the way the force works, which didn't sit too well with some fans (but I'd venture without NJO we'd never have gotten Kreia).

It was an entertaining read. It drags here and there, but overall for it's length and volume it was fine. The scope was perhaps a bit too, say, ambitious.

The follow-up books were really something else though. Dark Nest was... bad, Legacy of the Force made no sense for a long while, the standalone books had time-travelling Sith and a weird history of the Millennium Falcon and by the end of Fate of the Jedi Luke and his son duke it out with a literal dark side Cthulu creature causing an apocalypse on Coruscant.

Still, everything, even the terrible ideas, even the force Cthulu is better than the travesty Disney put out. Heh.

• Thanks 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

About half way through this one:

51oe1KNRFyL._SX330_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I have read MANY books about the intelligence and cognitive abilities of canines. The truth is... no one really knows except the dogs. And you can't ask them. You can observe behavior but you can't really KNOW causation. I think dogs are extremely observant and really quick to remember patterns. I also think they are very sensitive to subtle body language queues. This book is interesting but it isn't plowing any new ground. 

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Just started reading this one:

51855q1lhLL._SX332_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

On 2/19/2020 at 9:07 PM, Hurlshot said:

Ooh, gotta get that one!

Very good read!

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Now reading

517mt4645XL._SL500_.jpg

Thomas Sowell

IGN - Lucasfilm reveals Star Wars High Republic project

Looks like they're plannign to do a new "period" piece as such.

Star Wars: The High Republic features the Jedi as we’ve always wanted to see them — as true guardians of peace and justice. This is a hopeful, optimistic time, when the Jedi and the Galactic Republic are at their height. But of course, into this glorious new era something wicked this way comes,”

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

• 2 weeks later...

Now reading

51G6YM-5CzL._SX373_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Thomas Sowell

I bet that's a Paine to read.

I'll get me coat.

• Haha 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

13 minutes ago, Amentep said:

I bet that's a Paine to read.

I'll get me coat.

Ta dum tah… Amentep ladies and gentlemen. He'll be here all week!

Thomas Sowell

finally got around to reading the following books:

nat turner and the rising in southampton county

the land shall be deluged in blood: a new history of the nat turner revolt

both is more scholarly than entertainment oriented, but they ain't punishing reads by any means. 

still processing. is so much myth surrounding the nat turner rebellion. even so, how the south reacted to the rebellion is more easy to track with law passage and tax records n' such. both books is solid additions to the nat turner narrative, but am needing more time to reflect 'fore we are able to frame a recommendation.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I took the day off work today. I had a meeting in Dyersburg for a business venture I'm starting. Went to lunch at Applebees. While enjoying my Strawberry & Avocado salad and unsweetened iced tea I ordered a new book on my Kindle and started reading:

Fightclubcvr.jpg

It's been on my to-do list for a long time. Never saw the movie adaptation. Don't expect I ever will.

Thomas Sowell

the rage of dragons

bury under massive amount of non english most likely from a real world language strange and hard to pronounce words

is a extremely bland and standard military academy and revenge for father plotline

though the story delivered with skill and care

it is still very hard to care about a group of maniacal militaristic supremacist get wipe out or not

Edited by uuuhhii

1 hour ago, uuuhhii said:

the rage of dragons

bury under massive amount of non english most likely from a real world language strange and hard to pronounce words

is a extremely bland and standard military academy and revenge for father plotline

though the story delivered with skill and care

it is still very hard to care about a group of maniacal militaristic supremacist get wipe out or not

Exactly why I hate fantasy books. They recycle the same tired tropes over and over in nearly the same setting. 

Thomas Sowell

25 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Exactly why I hate fantasy books. They recycle the same tired tropes over and over in nearly the same setting. 

this one started some what interesting

native and refugee each have different magics at prologue

but then the whole book is about main character use two sword to whack people fight with sword and shield

1 hour ago, Guard Dog said:

Are you familiar with the Discworld series? I think you'd like it.

I feel like the TV Tropes website summarizes these books and their appeal pretty well:

"The first few books were a straightforward parody of Heroic Fantasy tropes, but later books have subverted, played with, and hung lampshades on practically every trope on this site, in every genre, and many not yet covered, as well as parodying (and in some cases, deconstructing) many well known films, books, and TV series, and eventually ended up at Urban Fantasy. The humour ranges from simple wordplay to wry reflections on the absurdities of life."

Edited by Skazz

I think Discworld is one of those series iconic enough for almost everyone to know through popcultural osmosis. At least when you're an Obsidian board regular. :)

• Like 1

kings of the wyld

comedy in it are strong

laughed really hard when the band finally find a bard that cannot be killed

but the motive of the main characters seems doesn't get enough attention

and the book spend way too much energy on sarcastically mention all the fantasy adventure trope

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone read the Their Bright Ascendancy trilogy? Aka The Tiger's Daughter, The Phoenix Empress, The Warrior Moon.
Supposedly they're really good but I'd like confirmation that they're worth getting.

^ Can't help with that, sorry.

Anyway, on topic: Brave New World. It's one of these novels that I knew through book discussions and school/studying but never actually read myself. It was a pretty good read all in all, but I don't think I've gained anything from reading it. Other than a more direct appreciation for Aldous Huxley, which in itselft might be worthwhile enough. :)

Edited by majestic

• 2 weeks later...

Re-reading Pat Frank's Alas Babylon. Seems appropriate. 

Thomas Sowell