Cinema Paradise - the Movie Thread Transformed

Amentep

Been watching a few movies with a common theme to the movie Cube which I thought was great, with a group of people finding themselves together, usually in a room. They were mostly average and the imdb scores are probably a little more than what I would rate them. Overall, average entertainment that doesn't come close to Cube.

House of 9 (2005) Nine strangers, with no apparent connection between them are abducted: drugged, kidnapped and sealed in a house together.

Unknown (2006) Five men wake up in a locked-down warehouse with no memory of who they are. They are forced to figure out who is good and who is bad to stay alive.

La habitación de Fermat (2007) (Fermat's Room) Four mathematicians who do not know each other are invited by a mysterious host on the pretext of resolving a great enigma. The room in which they find themselves turns out to be a shrinking room that will crush them if they do not discover in time what connects them all and why someone might wish to murder them.

Breathing Room (2008) Thrown naked into a desolate room with thirteen strangers, Tonya discovers that she is the final contestant in a deadly game. Restrained by lethal electronic collars, the players must utilize hints and tools from a box marked "pieces" to find both an exit and the reason for their abduction.

Exam (2009) Eight candidates for a highly desirable corporate job are locked together in an exam room and given a final test with just one question. It seems simple yet confusing that soon, tensions begin to unravel.

Hunger (2009) Five strangers awaken to find themselves trapped in an underground dungeon. They soon realize they are the subjects of one man's sadistic experiment to test the depths of a human being's will to survive. As the days go by with no means of escape, their hunger increases as their humanity fades away.

The Killing Room (2009) Four individuals sign up for a psychological research study only to discover that they are now subjects of a brutal, classified government program.

Nine Dead (2010) Nine strangers are kidnapped and forced to figure out the connection they have to each other as one has to die every ten minutes.

Elevator (2011) Racism collides with corporate greed when nine strangers - one of whom has a bomb - become trapped in a Wall Street elevator.

Panic Button (2011) Jo, Max, Gwen and Dave win the competition.Then they head off on an all expenses paid trip to New York, courtesy of the social network. As they board the private jet, they are asked to relinquish their mobile phones and take part in the in-flight entertainment - a new online gaming experience.

Heh, apparently there is a bit of fuss going on over Shuri in Black Panther being a Disney Princess now or some such.

Didn't we already have that with Loki?

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

My own opinions fall somewhere between Mike's and Jay's. Although I attributed that lighting issue to the stupid 3D showings. They're all much darker than they should be.

• Like 3

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

So I got around watching that new Tomb Raider movie and.... it was ok-ish, I guess? Wouldn't say it is better / worse than the Jolie titles.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

This tweet in response to the news of Top Gun 2 commencing filming gave me a laugh:

nxooeZG.png

Edited by Amentep
Added spoiler tags to the image as it uses a word that is currently in the spam filter.
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

If first Deadpool was 9/10 then Deadpool 2 was 8/10.

I haven't read the comics, but Deadpool felt way too sane and kinda boring in the serious scenes. Serious ending scene was the exception.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Welp and I already didn't liked the first Deadpool movie. No point in watching the second then, I guess.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

i guess if you like slapstick comedy you like Deadpool...

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I saw Solo. I'm pretty easy to please when it comes to movies, so I had a good time. The action scenes were on point and there was some cool looking moments. Mother of Dragons and Woody Harrelson were entertaining, and Chewbacca was given a lot of screen time (which was great.) Donald Glover was kind of campy, but so was Billy Dee, so I thought that worked out well enough. 

Han seemed more like an impression of Karl Urban than Harrison Ford, and ultimately I think he was the worst of the cast, which is rough since he is the lead character.

I wasn't happy with the romance or the Kessel Run. Which is a shame because they took a lot of screen time. But yeah, not the worst Star Wars movie. I'd actually put it around the quality of the animated series Rebels. Which might have been a better way to tell the Solo story, but I guess one-off movies are the new thing. I don't need a sequel. 

Upgrade is very good. The movie starts out as the seemingly typical "man and his family were slaughtered, but then he came back from the dead and got superpowers" revenge tale. However, the story swirls into some interesting turns and unexpected twists.

It is an action sci-fi.  The setting is near future.  The bad guys have cybernetic enhancements and implants, (which are somewhat common in the movie,) so they can still put up a tough fight with the hero who has an A.I. implant.

The action and pacing are very good. I enjoyed how its camera and perspective moves, flows and rolls with the hero's actions, which makes the scenes dynamic and fluid.

The movie also has comedy. The hero and his A.I. implant are squabbling buddies throughout most of the movie. The hero is impulsive and just want to avenge his dead wife, while the A.I. is the cold, logical "I don't think this is a good idea, you are gonna get us both killed... let's think this through with a plan" better half. Their interactions are funny.

Edited by ktchong

Just back from Solo, over all I quite liked it. I thought it was better than TLJ and maybe a bit better than Rogue One. It had a handful of lines which felt overly forced but the overall structure of the film was an enjoyable ride. I had a drink before hand, and I'd probably suggest doing so just so it's easier to cut the film some slack.

Han and Lando where definitely the highlights.

This looks immense. I'm glad, because a Suspiria remake's been on the table for over a decade, involving filmmakers like Aronofsky and David Gordon Green... It looked like all we'd get out of it would be a typical modernized hackjob at one point... But the above hardly looks the part. It's actually deeply reminiscent of Nicolas Roeg. Really looking forward to it.

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

New Wreck-It Ralph 2 trailer, this time with 100% more Disney Princesses:

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Just back from Solo, over all I quite liked it. I thought it was better than TLJ and maybe a bit better than Rogue One. It had a handful of lines which felt overly forced but the overall structure of the film was an enjoyable ride. I had a drink before hand, and I'd probably suggest doing so just so it's easier to cut the film some slack.

It being better than TLJ was all I needed to read.

It being better than TLJ was all I needed to read.

To consider going? To dismiss my taste in film? Usually I add a few grains of salt to everything I read.

Ehh. Hmm. Maybe it'll be alright.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Althought Fantastic Beasts overall felt a bit lackluster in some parts, I'm really looking forward to the second part simply because of Eddie Redmaynes character. He plays a hero that is sensitive and hates violence and that is a rare thing to see in blockbuster cinema from a male lead.

Dank Memes for Dank Spores.

Ehh. Hmm. Maybe it'll be alright.

Cinderella broke her glass slipper and threatened to stab someone with it. It will be amazing. The original was fantastic.  :lol:

It's basically the Deadpool of kid's movies.

I thought the original was alright. I personally hate the setting, and I'm not terribly keen on either of the two main characters. And Disney sequels...well, we'll see.

(e): On a side-note, I'm not sure what "the Deadpool of kids' movies" actually means. I haven't seen Deadpool and don't know what it's about, though, so that might be why.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

That's too bad. I mean, I assume you didn't grow up in arcades, which would mean the setting isn't going to hit home. Just like Deadpool really tends to work better if you grew up reading X-Men. They are basically parodying certain aspects of my childhood that I hold dear, and I enjoy it tremendously.

• Like 2