Cinema Paradise - the Movie Thread Transformed

Amentep

Looks like we're in for a Boba Fett: A Star Wars story. A shame they probably can't bring in Tameura Morrison for it. He was one of the few things I found enjoyable about Attack of the Clones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sehm7hcV100

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

It's not like we haven't had other space westerns recently.

Wait what? I can't remember any since Serenity (which was 12 years ago).

Serenity is a good example, since it had a lot of buzz and an established brand and still barely broke even. Cowboys and Aliens is another very clear Space Western that did little at the box office. We've also had a string of Space flicks that aren't quite westerns, but fit the space adventure category like Jupiter Descending, Valerian and the City of a Thousand Yawns, and the aptly named Oblivion. 

The best of the bunch is Westworld, which isn't in space but definitely is sci-fi, and that one has also found the most success. Actually we've been fairly lucky with how well Westerns are doing again on the small screen.  :thumbsup:

Yeah, I assumed you knew what you were talking about more than I did, but those movies were somewhere between bad and really terrible with the exception of Serenity (which I think is simply fine - I'm not really a Firefly fan, most obvious since I'm not raving mad about it).

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Hey, I said we had others, I didn't say they were all gems. :p

The thing is if Solo does well, the odds are you will see more movies like that, because writers will basically market it as being like the adventure of Han and Chewbacca. Of course I'm pretty sure Solo is supposed to be like Guardians of the Galaxy but with Star Wars (even though I haven't seen it. :p ) Just like when Harry Potter came out and we ended up with every decent kids books getting a movie. 

That's depressing to think about.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

That's depressing to think about.

You've just got to find the silver (screen) lining. We are getting a ton of good content through Netflix, HBO, and other small screen content producers. Honestly I'd say we are in a major sci-fi renaissance. Westworld, Altered Carbon, Moon, Mute, Bladerunner, etc. There is bound to be something out there that will hook you. If you can't find it, there might be a deeper issue at play.     :shrugz:

Yeah, I assumed you knew what you were talking about more than I did, but those movies were somewhere between bad and really terrible with the exception of Serenity (which I think is simply fine - I'm not really a Firefly fan, most obvious since I'm not raving mad about it).

I really enjoyed both Firefly and Serenity, but Serenity had that TV-show-goes-movie issue of feeling like an extended episode. Star Trek: The Motion Picture and both X-Files movies had the same problem. They would have been fine as an hour of TV but not so much as a feature film - to say nothing of being feature film length.

DTV versions often aren't better, like SG1: The Ark of Truth or SG1: Continuum.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

"Let the past die. Kill it if you have to".

Then proceeds to make half a dozen Star Wars movies all centred around 'the past'. Ironic.

Looks like we're in for a Boba Fett: A Star Wars story. A shame they probably can't bring in Tameura Morrison for it. He was one of the few things I found enjoyable about Attack of the Clones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sehm7hcV100

24 years since Once Were Warriors. I feel... old.

I guess that Daniel Logan would be as appropriate as Tem given he played young Boba, but realistically we'll probably get The Rock smelling what Taun We is cooking (better be eggs) being a simple clone making his way in the universe.

I have a feeling I'd enjoy Solo in a light-hearted way....I'm so divorced from SW fandom at this point that I'd just see it as a mostly a new product, like I did with the Star Trek reboot films. Which isn't to say I'd think it was a great film or something. Only that I'd watch the whole thing, get a few chuckles, not regret renting it, then immediately forget about it. :p

Another topic:  James Berardinelli wrote up an interesting thought piece re: the future of movie theaters vs. the convenience and cost-effectiveness of staying at home/streaming etc.. I think I'd tend to agree with him that at some point not too far into the future, theaters may go the way of the dodo, or Blockbuster video stores etc. Maybe not entirely, but all those vast multiplexes built the past decade or so are going to have to think of something fast if they don't want to close their doors.

http://www.reelviews.net/reelthoughts/reelthought_1527191673

Edit: I kind of miss the days when theaters were either single/dual or maybe 6 screens at the most.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The trend in Denver has been towards smaller theaters that offer additional amenities and services. I'm guessing it's probably like that all over but I haven't been to a movie anywhere else in a long, long time.

I don't want to double post so I'll just add this here. We've been watching all the old Trek movies and tonight is part 3. My wife has only seen the first few episodes of the original Star Trek so it's a little weird for her as she only really knows the characters from the new movies and they're almost caricatures in those

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

And Sesame Street has taken legal action against The Happytime Murders for "tarnishing the Sesame Street brand" due to using the tagline "No Sesame, All Street."

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

What upcoming movies left this year are people looking forward to? Ive got:

(Mostly) The Incredibles II & Fantastic Beasts 2,

(Somewhat) Ant-Man & Wasp,

(Will Probably See) Ocean's 8 & Jurassic World 2.

(Hesitant) Alita

Not a whole lot that I'm truly excited for. Really just one for Summer and one for the Holidays...

Shoplifters is one I'm really looking forward to - Hirokazu Koreeda's films are always worth watching and this one comes with a Palme d'Or win to boot. Beyond that, I'm interested in the new David Cameron Mitchell, Jafar Panahi and Niri Bulge Ceylan films, but I'm not rushing out to watch them either. Also it's already been in theatres but You Were Never Really Here is one I'd also like to watch. On a more mainstream side there's not much I'm looking forward to but I'm intrigued in the new Hellboy.

• Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

And Sesame Street has taken legal action against The Happytime Murders for "tarnishing the Sesame Street brand" due to using the tagline "No Sesame, All Street."

Oh, wow.

I'm wondering how this kind of thing never happened to, say, Avenue Q.