Politics' Official Eighteenth Thread

Amentep

Dfp9VUiV4AA8zKn.jpg

are you tired of winning yet??

Is this the same type of fake news as with fish feeding in Japan?

It all depends on how you define " fake news "

If you consider this photo fake news that would mean you reject 100% real and proven events and developments .....in this case even the WH accepts this saluting as real. But you can believe what you want, thats the beauty of freedom of thought :yes:

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/world/2018/06/14/north-korea-state-media-airs-unseen-video-trump-salute-general.cnn

Well, since I specifically asked about the fish feeding in Japan do you think I asked because of concerns about the photo being real or because of false narrative about the photo. Think hard ;)

Oh for the record for me its  not a big deal with Trump saluting, this is just part of his strategy to get NK to denuclearize

As usual these types of global events are nuanced and have to analyzed from a strategic perspective and a simple question needs to be asked  " is this going to be better for a more stable, prosperous and progressive world " ?

For me absolutely, if Trump can get NK to become part of the global community this is a good thing. Whatever he needs to do to convince NK to drop the development of nukes I support 

There has been decades  of failed foreign policy in NK, I dont blame previous US  presidents because NK has always been intransigent and unreasonable when it comes to negations

So lets see if this works, I hope it does    

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Dfp9VUiV4AA8zKn.jpg

are you tired of winning yet??

Is this the same type of fake news as with fish feeding in Japan?
It all depends on how you define " fake news "

If you consider this photo fake news that would mean you reject 100% real and proven events and developments .....in this case even the WH accepts this saluting as real. But you can believe what you want, thats the beauty of freedom of thought :yes:

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/world/2018/06/14/north-korea-state-media-airs-unseen-video-trump-salute-general.cnn

Well, since I specifically asked about the fish feeding in Japan do you think I asked because of concerns about the photo being real or because of false narrative about the photo? Think hard ;)

Well, it depends on who you ask, either Trump knew what he was doing or he didn't know what he was doing. NK is going to make propoganda meat out of it regardless.

Here comes the trade wars...

I thought he already started one with Canada, Mexico, and the EU?

China now imposing $50 Billion in tariffs against the US. Problem is the US has more tariffs imposed against it than the recipient nations. It's a 1-to-many relation on our end. We are fighting a trade war on multiple fronts.

Unless the State does some massive trillion dollar injection to re-kickstart manufacturing industry in the US, then it's all for naught. The US is a service industry nation. I don't see the republican's launching any such endeavor, if anything it would be the democrat hawks pushing for DOD spending, but more realistically the dems would just reopen trade.

At one point he described migration as a big problem for Europe then said to Abe: "Shinzo, you don't have this problem, but I can send you 25 million Mexicans and you'll be out of office very soon," creating a sense of irritation in the room, according to an EU official.

The source added that when the topic turned to Iran and terrorism, Trump took aim at French President Emmanuel Macron, saying: "You must know about this, Emmanuel, because all the terrorists are in Paris."

European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker also came under fire and was repeatedly described by Trump as a "brutal killer" in reference to the bloc's antitrust and tax fines against U.S. tech companies that have run into billions of dollars.

with friends like these

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

that 25 million mexicans comment is just gold

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Thought for the day. In adjusted dollars a college degree in the USA costs 297% more today than in 1978. Lunch at McDonalds costs 40% less than in 1978. Guess which of these two is getting subsidized by YOUR taxes?

5996ab02f69dfaa4ed831a7f76865fab.jpg

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Both, because McDonalds workers were on $7B worth of welfare in 2013 and it has likely increased since then.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/view/articles/2013-11-13/how-mcdonald-s-and-wal-mart-became-welfare-queens

And college will, theoretically, give you better job prospects while McDonald's will just make you fat.

Edited by KaineParker
  • Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Thought for the day. In adjusted dollars a college degree in the USA costs 297% more today than in 1978. Lunch at McDonalds costs 40% less than in 1978. Guess which of these two is getting subsidized by YOUR taxes?

(edit out image to reduce clutter)

federal tertiary education spending for 2018 is gonna be 'bout $28 billion.

federal agriculture subsidies for 2017 were $23.9 billion.

*shrug*

individual states are shouldering less and less o' higher education, so fed and students get stuck with more o' the load compared to past years.  support services at Universities has also increased dramatic over the years.  not just paying for education but for country club amenities. 

regardless, from a practical pov, both higher education and your mcdonalds lunch is being subsidized by the fed.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

McDonalds also gets subsidies in most countries in world which it does bussiness, as most countries in world give both agriculture and low pay worker subsidies, etc. assistances, which both indirectly and directly benefit McDonalds. I have seen some calculations that McDonald's effectivelly gets more subsidies than its world wide revenue is.

McDonalds also gets subsidies in most countries in world which it does bussiness, as most countries in world give both agriculture and low pay worker subsidies, etc. assistances, which both indirectly and directly benefit McDonalds. I have seen some calculations that McDonald's effectivelly gets more subsidies than its world wide revenue is.

If only produce shacks at every 10th intersection would be subsidized instead. The inability to find healthy fast food given the sophistication of the global supply chain is depressing.

I think that's only a small part of the problem. Most people don't want to eat a bunch of raw fruits and vegetables every day...and furthermore, it's difficult to survive on only them (especially vegetables, which are by and large incredibly calorie-light). So you have to figure out how to integrate them into actual meals...and there's the problem. The time it takes to cook and prepare meals, the time it takes to figure out what you want to cook (most people don't want to eat the same 2-3 meals every day for forever), the initial time sink required to actually learn how to cook (preferably with skill!). You know what's not difficult to survive on? Hamburgers.

If there has been any great loss as a result of the disintegration of the "traditional family structure", it's probably been decent home-cooking and nutrition. People just don't have the requisite time for doing it (properly) anymore when there isn't at least one person dedicated to the job - and I don't think it much matters whether it's a man or a woman, just that there has to be somebody. I have celiac disease, so I can't eat anything BUT home-cooking pretty much, and I absolutely loathe it. Not that I ever much ate out or had fast-food to begin with, but the loss of so many other prepared foods on top of it has made it even more acute.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

I think that's only a small part of the problem. Most people don't want to eat a bunch of raw fruits and vegetables every day...and furthermore, it's difficult to survive on only them (especially vegetables, which are by and large incredibly calorie-light). So you have to figure out how to integrate them into actual meals...and there's the problem. The time it takes to cook and prepare meals, the time it takes to figure out what you want to cook (most people don't want to eat the same 2-3 meals every day for forever), the initial time sink required to actually learn how to cook (preferably with skill!). You know what's not difficult to survive on? Hamburgers.

If there has been any great loss as a result of the disintegration of the "traditional family structure", it's probably been decent home-cooking and nutrition. People just don't have the requisite time for doing it (properly) anymore when there isn't at least one person dedicated to the job - and I don't think it much matters whether it's a man or a woman, just that there has to be somebody. I have celiac disease, so I can't eat anything BUT home-cooking pretty much, and I absolutely loathe it. Not that I ever much ate out or had fast-food to begin with, but the loss of so many other prepared foods on top of it has made it even more acute.

You don't have Gluten free burgers in McDonalds in USA?

In Finland's McDonalds has Gluten free version of Big Mac and Quarter Pounder with Cheese. Most restaurants, including fast food places, here have gluten free options in their menus these days. Also you usually can order lacotse free and milkless versions menu items in most restaurants.

I haven't had a McD burger in probably around 15 years, but from everything I've read, pretty much no fast-food place has anything gluten-free here in the U.S., and things that should be are usually contaminated. So even though you should be able to get like a burger without the bun and stuff, or fries, it will really just be up to how strictly individual employees adhere to keeping stuff from getting contaminated. And I don't know what wages are like in Finland (I presume better), but a lot (not all, but an understandably large amount given the generally terrible pay and working environment) of minimum wage employees here in the U.S. just don't really care that much. From a quick Google search, I certainly see nothing of the sort offered here.

Edited by Bartimaeus

I haven't had a McD burger in probably around 15 years, but from everything I've read, pretty much no fast-food place has anything gluten-free here in the U.S., and things that should be are usually contaminated. So even though you should be able to get like a burger without the bun and stuff, or fries, it will really just be up to how strictly individual employees adhere to keeping stuff from getting contaminated. And I don't know what wages are like in Finland (I presume better), but a lot (not all, but an understandably large amount given the generally terrible pay and working environment) of minimum wage employees here in the U.S. just don't really care that much. From a quick Google search, I certainly see nothing of the sort offered here.

Average salary per hour for new McDonalds workers is 13€ (15 USD)  (there is variety as you get paid more in evening and night shifts than in morning and day shifts and also sundays and holidays salary is higher)

Restaurants are very strict about contamination as they are fully responsible if they sell product that is advertaised glutenfree (same with other allergenics) and it isn't

• Like 2

It's still 2 years earlier than I can retire.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

To 65? In germany it is 67 since a long time already.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

You really have to go through multiple leaps to claim restaurants are subsidized in any comparable way to a public university. But hey, whatever. I was looking for a way to get than Animal House meme in and that was a good one. 

Just one thought on higher education. One of the biggest lies we all tell ourselves is that a degree from one University might be better than another. Unless you are studying medicine of nuclear physics this is not so. The curriculum of one accredited school in any state is much the same as any other. I graduated from FAU back before it started expanding. It was the smallest of Florida's public universities. But if you compare the courses I took to Florida State they are exactly the same but I paid $68 per credit hour vs $100 (or whatever FSU was in the '90s.) Something to think about when you are paying your own way. Especially if you are going in serious student loan debt to do it. 

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

But institutions with many bright minds attract even more bright minds, no?

Or institutions with lots of money can afford brighter minds.

Either way, it does seem to me that it’d make a difference

Edited by Ben No.3

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

But institutions with many bright minds attract even more bright minds, no?

Or institutions with lots of money can afford brighter minds.

Either way, it does seem to me that it’d make a difference

Trust me, the rules of calculus are the same at Harvard as they are at Marlboro College (the smallest public U in the US as of 2012). They don't teach the "secret math" in the Ivy Leagues. In education there is only one word that matters: accreditation. As long as your school of choice is accredited (not all are so be careful) you are good to go. The only advantage of a big university (aside from specialized studies like medicine, nuclear physics, etc) is networking. Which after your first job you should be doing OK with anyway.

Oh, and snobbery. Can't forget that. 

Thomas Sowell

You really have to go through multiple leaps to claim restaurants are subsidized in any comparable way to a public university. But hey, whatever. I was looking for a way to get than Animal House meme in and that was a good one. 

Just one thought on higher education. One of the biggest lies we all tell ourselves is that a degree from one University might be better than another. Unless you are studying medicine of nuclear physics this is not so. The curriculum of one accredited school in any state is much the same as any other. I graduated from FAU back before it started expanding. It was the smallest of Florida's public universities. But if you compare the courses I took to Florida State they are exactly the same but I paid $68 per credit hour vs $100 (or whatever FSU was in the '90s.) Something to think about when you are paying your own way. Especially if you are going in serious student loan debt to do it. 

I don't really understand how this lie is even perpetuated. In education we basically snicker at the teachers that have ivy league degrees. Good job, you went to Stanford but still make the same as every other public school teacher. Plus I've noticed that junior colleges have really taken off in the last decade, so much that they can actually be difficult to get into.