Politics' Official Eighteenth Thread

Amentep

They do require a license. The question is should they? If you make a thing more expensive you will have less of it. If you want more commerce then making commerce harder to do is not the way to go about it. But it isn't about that. It's just about extorting a little money.

Imo, yes. If you are selling any consumable item to the public, they you need a license and permit, full stop. Blanket policies exist precisely because everyone feels that they should be exempt wrt whatever they're individually doing. "Let the people figure out on their own that the meat is rancid!" I don't believe that you believe that.

I kind of get Guard Dog's point - although I also get the public health point too. For example, lets say you know a great home-baker, keeps a clean house and kitchen and bakes everything very well.

You buy all the ingredients for your favorite cake at a store, given them to the home-baker and they bake you a cake, which you pick up from their house.  The guberment won't step in. But if you go into the house of the home-baker and they offer to sell you your favorite cake that they've baked, the guberment now says the home-baker must have a license to sell that piece of cake to the public, they can't cook it in their own kitchen because their home kitchen as it is doesn't meet the specifications for restaurant kitchens in the legal code, etc.

But, to Guard Dog's point, the difference isn't in the baking, or in the cake, the difference is that money is changing hands between you and a private party and the government wants a part of that exchange or, arguably, restaurant and grocery stores don't want competition that doesn't have the same overhead that they do to operate so force the government to intervene by claiming unfair competition from an improperly licensed competitor.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7984436.stm

In summary: The French victory parade in Paris during WWII was made to be a “white mens parade” (of a “white mens war”) by de Gaulle, acting upon the explicit wish of Eisenhower’s chief of staff to ensure this. This covered up the fact that, of course, many (most, in fact) French soldiers in fact came from the colonies and weren’t quite white.

Edited by Ben No.3

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

I believe Colorado.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Heh, the Democrats are so desperate for messaging help that they are looking to Hollywood: https://www.politico.com/story/2018/06/11/democratic-campaign-messaging-hollywood-637364

This paragraph just about sums up the whole problem: “One of the first things we were at least talking about in the beginning meetings was how to improve upon the message as to what does the Democratic Party stand for, what does that represent,” said Andrew Marcus, who owns the television and film company Apiary Entertainment. “When the Republican Party or [President Donald] Trump is able to say ‘Make America great again’ and nobody that I know can tell you what the DNC or any of the leading candidates’ slogans [are], I think that’s a marketing problem.”

While I don't think Hollywood is neccesarily the best place to look for messaging that will attract Trump voters since Hollywood has this disconnect with conservatives, the TV/movie/music/entertainment industry is certainly useful as an idea factory.

How about democrats lean into "diversity of empirical measure" in order to promote a middle-class cash flow between urban and rural regions of the country.

Oh wait, because the democrats are a facade for an elite class and they want their own party spinning their wheels.

BOTH parties are a facade for an elite class, also, try turning your first sentence into a slogan, that is the challenge the Dems have.

Larry Kudlow, the chief economic advisor had a heart attack almost when the summit starts. I'm not religious or superstitious myself, but I could see someone who is superstitious or deeply religious interpreting that as a bad omen.

To me, it's nothing other than an interesting coincidence. Hope Larry Kudlow is okay though.

Can the US just break up already

As a Florida resident I can safely say that we would devour the rest the States...and I mean literally.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I think the ocean is going to devour you guys.

Yeah, in simulations of high sea rise, Florida is just about entirely wiped out, possibly nonexistent for all practical purposes. Though it also joins a few other states that get wiped out like New Jersey and Delaware.

Yeah, in simulations of high sea rise, Florida is just about entirely wiped out, possibly nonexistent for all practical purposes. Though it also joins a few other states that get wiped out like New Jersey and Delaware.

Unless the ocean rise is a flash flood I'm pretty certain that we will move to a different state. Look forward to South Carolina becoming new Florida.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Unless the ocean rise is a flash flood I'm pretty certain that we will move to a different state. Look forward to South Carolina becoming new Florida.

Well yeah, it's not going to be so fast that people can't get to safety. Something that catastrophic probably won't happen in our lifetime unless like, the entire Greenland icecap slides into the ocean or something.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/11/white-house-economic-advisor-larry-kudlow-suffers-heart-attack-trump-tweets.html

Larry Kudlow has had a heart attack, he is  recovering nicely

I wonder if the " outrage " that was expressed about Justin Trudeau's G7 speech added to this ?

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/jun/10/larry-kudlow-calls-justin-trudeaus-verbal-attacks-/

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Today's headline from the best (and mos reliable) news source: "World Leaders Hope Singapore Summit Will Lead To North Korea Becoming Normal Impoverished Country They Don’t Have To Think About"

https://politics.theonion.com/world-leaders-hope-singapore-summit-will-lead-to-north-1826739714

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/11/white-house-economic-advisor-larry-kudlow-suffers-heart-attack-trump-tweets.html

I wonder if the " outrage " that was expressed about Justin Trudeau's G7 speech added to this ?

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/jun/10/larry-kudlow-calls-justin-trudeaus-verbal-attacks-/

It was Canadian spies trying to assassinate him, naturally.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It was Canadian spies trying to assassinate him, naturally.

Nah, you conspiracy meter does not go deep enough, it was fake hearth attack in order to make him more sympathetic in eyes of people order to give more weight to what he said about backstabbing Canadians in order to get closer to their long game goal which is USA's attacking to Canada :devil:

Edited by Elerond
  • Like 1