Politics' Official Eighteenth Thread

Amentep

Its much better to rely on god to heal your injury and shield you from virus. :yes:

Wait, which one is the psuedoscience again?

Don't think I ever heard that expressed in Mass.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Au contraire.   ;)

Don't try to fool me into believing in your imaginary planets by misdirecting me. You said Alpha Centauri, not Proxima Centauri, the next door neighbor.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Timeline of the US Democrat party https://www.theonion.com/timeline-of-the-democratic-party-1826641163

Timeline of the US Republican Party: https://politics.theonion.com/timeline-of-the-republican-party-1826465476

:lol:

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I had to look it up:

Temple Garments

According to the LDS Church, the temple garments serve a number of purposes. First, the garment provides the member "a constant reminder" of the covenants they made in the temple. Second, the garment "when properly worn ... provides protection against temptation and evil". Wearing the garment is also "an outward expression of an inward commitment" to follow Jesus Christ. General authority adds that the garment "strengthens the wearer to resist temptation, fend off evil influences, and stand firmly for the right."

Good vs undead, crap vs smallpox. :lol:

• Like 1

That's the problem with conspiracy theories, anything and everything becomes support for the theory. Even when Trump was threatening to directly attack Russia in Syria some people thought it was all a stunt to try and disprove collusion when all indications are that he had to be talked out of it by Mattis.

Trump wants Russia there to distract from his isolation and so that people would shout at Putin rather than him. No need for any 'collusion'.

That US and European intelligence agencies have poured billions of dollars into the arming of Islamist militias that serve as proxies in their war for regime-change in Syria is, however, not a paranoid “conspiracy theory” or “fake news” produced by “Kremlin trolls,” but a widely-reported fact.

Yeah, that's 100% true. They also did that knowing that some of those weapons were being supplied to Al Qaeda. The trouble is that despite that there's no evidence they supported ISIS as ISIS, they just supported a bunch of guys who fought alongside ISIS and later joined ISIS, as most of the eastern rebels ended up doing (if they didn't they were killed). It's easy enough to go from looking at the stupid policy of arming islamist militias that later joined ISIS and turning a blind eye to al Qaeda's front groups getting a bunch of your weapons to there being an underground railway of ISIS operatives coming into Europe to do western intelligence's bidding. The latter has no evidence for it though, it's pure conjecture.

Anyone's thoughts on the SCO summit so far?

Probably of more practical importance than the G7 but with a lot less attention given to it because it's just minnows like India/ China/ Russia attending instead of global collossi like Canada, the UK and Italy (with apologies to Canada and Italy), and there's no Trump and associated dramas.

Based on Justin’s false statements at his news conference, and the fact that Canada is charging massive Tariffs to our U.S. farmers, workers and companies, I have instructed our U.S. Reps not to endorse the Communique as we look at Tariffs on automobiles flooding the U.S. Market!  PM Justin Trudeau of Canada acted so meek and mild during our @G7 meetings only to give a news conference after I left saying that, “US Tariffs were kind of insulting” and he “will not be pushed around.” Very dishonest & weak. Our Tariffs are in response to his of 270% on dairy!

Well at least the final G7 was entertaining, and it ends with Trump being as diplomatic as ever on twitter. Wonder where the G6 will be held next year.

• Like 1

Though it would be amusing to see the U.S. kicked out of the G7, I think the others will collectively weather the storm for the time being.

(e): Although based on his recent temper tantrums, it's probably much more likely Trump will decide to simply withdraw from the G7.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

It would 100% be Trump deciding not to go rather than being kicked out, losing the US officially would near kill the G7 outright since it would then be EU, plus Japan and Canada. It would also make a mess for when Trump is gone, it would potentially be embarrassing to whoever comes next if they have to readmitted.

OTOH Trump already looked like he didn't want to be there this year, and it seems very likely that things will get worse rather than better in that respect. He probably looks at Putin or Modi in Shanghai getting stylin' gold chains from Xi and wonders why he's spent time with people who pretty obviously loathe him.

Edited by Zoraptor

kqpPZja.jpg

guise what gunz is this?

looks like what i used to shoot with at fairs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiang_Kai-shek_rifle

I guess.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Israeli, American Jews deeply divided on Trump: poll

by Julia Manchester

Israeli and American Jews are deeply divided on issues related to President Trump, according to a new poll from the American Jewish Committee (AJC). 

More than three-quarters (77 percent) of Israeli Jews surveyed said they approved of U.S.-Israeli relations under Trump, while only 34 percent of American Jews said they felt the same way. 

Over half — 57 percent — of American Jews said they disapproved of Trump's handling of U.S.-Israeli relations, while just 10 percent of Israeli Jews said the same. 

The poll also revealed a significant split between Israeli and U.S. Jews on the U.S. Embassy's move to Jerusalem.

Eighty-five percent of Israeli Jews said they supported the embassy's relocation, while 46 percent of American Jews said the same. 

The poll comes a month after the U.S. Embassy opened in Jerusalem, sparking mass protests from Palestinians who view east Jerusalem as the capital of a future independent state. 

Dozens of Palestinians were killed by Israeli forces in the demonstrations connected to the embassy's opening. 

The embassy's move set off a major rift between the U.S. and the international community, which recognizes Tel Aviv as the Israeli capital. 

The AJC poll on Israeli Jewish public opinion was conducted in May among 1,000 Israeli Jews over the age of 18, with a margin of error of 3.1 percentage points. 

The poll of U.S. Jewish public opinion was carried out on April 18-May 10 among 1,001 American Jews over the age of 18, with a margin of error of 3.9 percentage points.

I'm reminded of a story when Ehud Olmert was having lunch with the recently departed Philip Roth:

In the winter of 1988, with the first intifada raging, author Bernard Avishai was visiting Israel with Philip Roth and stopped by the Knesset to introduce the famous American writer to Olmert, then a Likud back-bencher whom Avishai had known since 1974. As they sat down to lunch in the parliament’s cafeteria, Olmert suggested that a mass migration of American Jews to the West Bank would render moot the claims of rebellious Palestinians.

“Philip looked at him and said ‘Are you crazy? American Jews aren’t coming,'” recalls Avishai, author of The Hebrew Republic: How Secular Democracy and Global Enterprise Will Bring Israel Peace at Last. “And Olmert said, ‘Why would they not come?’ and Philip said ‘Because they have lives of their own.'”
Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I see the cops in Denver shut down some kids who were selling lemonade in a park last week. Well done City of Denver. Imagine, the audacity of a couple of kids wanting to sell $.75 cups of lemonade to people without getting on their knees and humbly begging the Crown for permission coupled with an abject offer of paying license and permit fees. Personally I'm really surprised the cops didn't beat the holy hell out of those children, shoot them dead on the ground, drop a "hot" pistol and their corpse then give themselves raises. Oh... wait the kids were white. Had they been otherwise...

Thomas Sowell

Oh... wait the kids were white. Had they been otherwise...

...they would be selling crack.... just joking, dont kill me xD

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Trump stil ranting at Trudeau.  I guess this is some negotiation tactic to act like someone with NPD.  Still curious at what exactly the sudden betrayal by Trudeau is, given Trudeau's been saying the same thing for a while now.

Being <a person> selling <a product> in a <public space> requires certain permissions. Not as QQ as punching babies in the face but rules is rules. :shrugz:

Guess his point was the rules are ridiculous, I guess. 

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/stapleton-neighbor-calls-police-on-boys-memorial-day-weekend-lemonade-stand

Nothing like calling the cops to be a passive aggressive ass :lol:

Edited by Malcador

I understand that it sounds petty because it "children selling lemonade". But its no different than someone setting up a fruit/vegetable stall on the side of the road. Or a food truck. Or a hotdog stand. Hell, iirc, even block parties require permissions.

Therein lies the problem. A free people living in a free country should not be required to get on bended knee and beg the State's permission to do business on a small scale.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Oh ok. Here, enjoy some of this meat that been in the sun for a few days. It totally isn't riddled with buttworms.

If you are dumb enough to buy meat from some guy sitting at a table on the side of the road you deserve what you're likely to get. But since when did the government become our goddamned mother telling us who to buy from? Or who can sell? I just made enough watermelon wine this weekend to fill 30 16oz  bottles. If I sell one of those bottles I'm looking at a $10k fine and one year in federal prison. That is government run amok.

Thomas Sowell