Politics' Official Eighteenth Thread

Amentep

Is someone considered prejudiced if they hate everyone equally? Asking for a friend.

:lol:

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Well PCs. You got the majority. No excuses. But, Doug Ford. Why did he have to be leader? <.

I am hoping he has some scandal and they turf him as leader.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

lol

Anti-"fake news" bill gives French state unchecked Internet censorship powers

http://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2018/06/08/fran-j08.html

At the beginning of 2018, Facebook announced that it would de-prioritize political news on its user feeds in favor of “personal moments.” It said this would make Facebook “good for your well-being and for society.”

French officials planning mass Internet censorship are no less terrified of public opinion. As Macron was preparing his censorship bill earlier this year, a press campaign erupted denouncing the French people for believing in “conspiracy theories.” The so-called “conspiracy theory” that angered the press the most was the belief that NATO governments, including that of France, work with the Islamist networks that carried out terror attacks in Paris in 2015 and elsewhere in Europe since then.

That US and European intelligence agencies have poured billions of dollars into the arming of Islamist militias that serve as proxies in their war for regime-change in Syria is, however, not a paranoid “conspiracy theory” or “fake news” produced by “Kremlin trolls,” but a widely-reported fact.

Official circles are concerned that broader and broader layers of the public are concluding that the “war on terror” and the French state of emergency imposed after the terror attacks are based on lies. Mass protests erupted in Barcelona last year shortly after the terror attack there, in which demonstrators denounced Madrid’s complicity with the terrorists.

So glad I'm a Trump supporter.

Edited by Gritino

Well PCs. You got the majority. No excuses. But, Doug Ford. Why did he have to be leader? <.

Huh? Not getting the reference here.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-election-vote-ford-horwath-wynne-pc-ndp-liberal-green-1.4696736

Progressive Conservative (lol, fricking Reform ate them, really) party won the provincial election in Ontario last night.  Leader is the brother of the crack smoking, drunk mayor we had in Toronto that died in 2016 or so.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Oh, I thought he WAS that guy. :lol:

Edit: Re: religion, I've always been of the mind that you should follow demonstrable evidence. Some of science is on faith, but at least they're based on stuff you can research and test and most of the time they're out to prove themselves wrong. I respect that, not people who get their life rules from a book of fables. That being said, those kinds of fables feel neccesary to society to me and I'm thankful. The fact that so many Christian people fear that atheists for having no morals is telling, it's essentially an admission that they wouldn't have if the book didn't tell them. Maybe I'm a pessimist, but I believe religion is useful in keeping the masses in check and without it, society would never have developed far enough to coin the word 'science'.

>it's essentially an admission that they wouldn't have if the book didn't tell them

Probably too extreme a way of looking at it. It's probably more from failing to utilize a little empathetic and critical thinking. "I get my morals from the Bible - where do they get theirs?" The easiest way to answer that would be to ask where you would get your morals if you weren't a Christian...which then sort of leads to how you became a Christian to start with. For most people, the answer to the latter is "from being raised that way by my family in my society", and then the answer to the former becomes an obvious and resounding "oh". Though people with the ability to objectively notice patterns in the people they meet and know of (or rather the concrete lack thereof in this case) should eventually observe that there are both garbage and great people from virtually every walk of life, regardless of most any culture, upbringing, or religion.

(e): words

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Yeah, I phrased it as too much of an absolute, my mistake. I don't think every Christian is a murderer waiting to happen upon losing faith, but it is a concern of mine considering the strength of human cognitive bias over evidence. Religion is a strong counter to problems caused by those among our species with those kinds of cognition issues is more like what I'm trying to say, but that's more vague and less dramatic and apparently I'm all about the drama today.

• Like 1

For most, it is probably just the shared set of ideals and traditions. There is a comfort in that type of community. Heck, what do you think brings us together on this forum? We worship at the altar of Obsidian. :p

We worship at the altar of Obsidian. :p

Pft. I'm just here to kill time at work. :p

(The last Obsidian game I seriously played was Mask of the Betrayer, although I did at least give PoE a shot.)

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

I feel like they owe me money for PoE :p

• Like 1

Humph! You do realize there is no proof there are any planets around that star right. In fact SCIENCE has PROVEN there are no planets around Alpha Centauri B. Yet here you are believing in your little fairy tales about mythical planets. You've never been to Alpha Centauri, you've never seen any planets there so don't go giving me your superstitious nonsense. I've never been there but I KNOW there are no planets because a scientist (some guy named Dumusque whose never been there either) said so. 

:lol:

Au contraire.   ;)

Just to clarify. You hate religious people like Jews? You hate Jews right? How about Muslims? Do you hate Muslims?

No, I hate organized religion. Imo, anything above tribalism is just organized control of the masses.

Theres a confirmed one around Proxima Centauri, the red dwarf. Anyways, the detection method mentioned relies somewhat on the planet passing between line of sight of the parent sun and Earth, so, if the systems aren't aligned that way, it's harder to detect them. There are methods to detect planets that don't rely on that though.

I read an article showing a strong correlation between the decline if organized religion and the rise of psuedoscience and paranormal hogwash - i.e. soccer moms drop church and prayer and adopt astrology and homeopathy. An improvement it is not. I'll see if I can find it, but I read it on dead tree mulch so I dunno if it's available online.

Edit: Ugh! Google fails me! All I'm finding is articles equating the two together.

• Like 1

I read an article showing a strong correlation between the decline if organized religion and the rise of psuedoscience and paranormal hogwash - i.e. soccer moms drop church and prayer and adopt astrology and homeopathy. An improvement it is not. I'll see if I can find it, but I read it on dead tree mulch so I dunno if it's available online.

I'd be interested in reading that.