Politics' Official Eighteenth Thread

Amentep

"You could retire early if you invested in comic books"

In a way... this is true. Just got to invest in Marvel baby!

Heh, to this day I know people that believe power lines give you cancer. I also know people that believe in an all powerful sky being that has nothing better to do than monitor your every action from birth to death and then will judge you on those actions. Its a kooky world we live in! :yes:

Hahahaha, look guise a 20 year old quote!

Things people believed 25 years ago that ended up being wrong.

FEAST!

"You could retire early if you invested in comic books"

In a way... this is true. Just got to invest in Marvel baby!

Anyone with sense knew retiring off of X-Men #1(1992) wasn't something that was going to really happen.  There's a reason why the comics from the 30s-50s (the "Golden Age") were so valuable - they were disposable entertainment that survived war time recycling drives AND the 50s "Comics are going to rot our children's brain and make them murder us all, horribly" scare.  They're scarce despite having print runs larger than any of the 1990s speculator comics.  It was a bubble that had to (and did) burst.

The big speculator market in the 90s were really newcomers who didn't understand the market or what made things valuable in the long term (but lots of short term money was made in flipping books, which still happens today in the market).

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Hahahaha, look guise a 20 year old quote!

Things people believed 25 years ago that ended up being wrong.

FEAST!

Which is relevant to the asbestos evaluation just how?

Not to mention how ignorant that article really is when it states that "AIDS will get worse" as false. *cough* Africa *cough*

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I guess investing in companies is different than investing in rare collectibles. The D.A.R.E. scares are the most relatable part of that list for me given my age during the 90s. Some of those short films are still burned into the back of my skull.

I think it instilled in me a keen sense to detect a "right message for the wrong reasons" and made me care more about getting the facts straight and care less about conclusions.

It was all sort of worthless because the only drug I've ever been offered was weed and lsd. Probably the safest out there.

I guess investing in companies is different than investing in rare collectibles. The D.A.R.E. scares are the most relatable part of that list for me given my age during the 90s. Some of those short films are still burned into the back of my skull.

I think it instilled in me a keen sense to detect a "right message for the wrong reasons" and made me care more about getting the facts straight and care less about conclusions.

It was all sort of worthless because the only drug I've ever been offered was weed and lsd. Probably the safest out there.

When I was that age our school took us on a yearly trip to an NGO helping recovering addicts by providing them with housing and small time jobs to help their recovery and possible return to society. We had a chance to interact with them, hear their stories and how it happened that they got addicted. That was much better than any silly film about drugs we were shown.

Hyperbole and overblown fearmongering is not really necessary. We also learned up-front that the ideas of gateway drugs was silly. None of them had progressed to heroine abuse from a joint or two.

Edited by majestic

Not to mention how ignorant that article really is when it states that "AIDS will get worse" as false. *cough* Africa *cough*

Its relevant insofar as people can think one thing, and then years later change their minds and think another thing. *GASP* Also, people are stupid and gullible, as evidenced by the approximate 3.8 BILLION Christians and Muslims that CURRENTLY belive in a sky overlord.

BTW, has the worldwide infection rate of AIDS increased or are you just locked onto Africa since that specific place has had an AIDS rate increase?

Its relevant insofar as people can think one thing, and then years later change their minds and think another thing. *GASP* Also, people are stupid and gullible, as evidenced by the approximate 3.8 BILLION Christians and Muslims that CURRENTLY belive in a sky overlord.

BTW, has the worldwide infection rate of AIDS increased or are you just locked onto Africa since that specific place has had an AIDS rate increase?

Well it does align with the EPA actions. Seems odd, but I probably think it's just them doing the usual of not collecting data to later aid in helping industry.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

According to AVERT, the global new infection rates are down by 16% for the last available data period (2010-2016). The only increasing region being Eastern Europe and Central Asia.

https://www.avert.org/global-hiv-and-aids-statistics

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Sure Trump is free to change his mind about something, God knows he does that all the time. It's not about what he said though but about the apparently new policy at the EPA of not bothering with existing asbestos and all that jazz, just proving that Trump hasn't changed his mind about this particular subject. ;)

The overall number of new (known) HIV infections is on a slow decline since the late 2000s but the disease is still a huge issue and far from no longer as problematic as predicted just because it's no longer a death sentence in the West. The article's statement is true from a rather limited point of view...

Mesothelioma.com

The handling of asbestos must be done with great care due to the toxic properties of this substance and its classification as a known carcinogen. It’s important to know that when asbestos is in good condition, it does not usually present a hazard. However, worn or damaged asbestos poses a great risk to the health and safety of humans as fibers may flake off and become airborne.

Why do you approve of the EPA creating problems where none exist? :p

Is it ever in good condition? Once you mine it it's already gone all **** up.

I know Russia's been pushing the asbestos is safe propaganda for a long time because they sell that **** to India... which is causing a lot of problems in India but India's construction sector is pretty corrupt and is under expectations to meet housing needs.

My understanding is that the health hazard is when you have (for example) asbestos insulation around a pipe and the insulation cover splits allowing particles to become airborne.  Most of the professional remodeling I've seen has been based on the assumption that buildings have asbestos until you're sure they don't. We had a remodel at work that found tile in one of the spaces (part of an older layout where that part of a room had actually been part of an adjoining bathroom).  Since tile of that age probably has asbestos, they went into full asbestos remediation to safely remove the tile.

I gather that Gfted1's point is that if you're remodeling your house you should be responsible for hiring a company to check your house for asbestos before you start blythly knocking down walls and such (companies like that exist) and if they find it you'll need to hire a company that specializes in removing it before/as you remodel rather than have the EPA keeping a list of spaces with asbestos and forcing you to remediate the asbestos in their house.

On an unrelated note, I keep typing "asbestoes".

• Like 1

Amentep is right. Asbestos is perfectly safe until is breaks, gets wet, mishandled, or in any other way compromised. Then it's not safe at all.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

That's a fairly ridiculous mischaracterization of religious faith. On a related note:

I say it is better to believe in a God (I personally don't) thanb to believe in an even faker god known as Karma. Anyone who believes in the religion of karma is even more braindead.

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

So in 2022 you might not want to hang out with Hurlshot or Gromnir. They may not smell so good on days they do laundtry, wash their cars, etc http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2018/05/31/california-water-limits/

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

That's a fairly ridiculous mischaracterization of religious faith.

wut

Thought it was pretty clear. Describing every Christian and Muslim as gullible and stupid is ridiculous. You are dismissing 3.8 billion people (not to mention all those throughout history) because of what, exactly?

Thought it was pretty clear. Describing every Christian and Muslim as gullible and stupid is ridiculous. You are dismissing 3.8 billion people (not to mention all those throughout history) because of what, exactly?

Thought it was pretty clear. Because they believe in a moronic tradition that is LITERALLY without a single shred of proof.

"Donald Trump Called Asbestos Poisoning a Mob-Led Conspiracy"

He believes that exercise uses up a body's finite energy. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he's a Flat Earther.

• Like 1

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Thought it was pretty clear. Because they believe in a moronic tradition that is LITERALLY without a single shred of proof.

1. "Moronic traditions" are a huge part of every community. I am sure every sporting event and festival can be described in the same manner. Maybe it is better to be above all that, but maybe you are also missing out.

2. Do you have some sort of definitive proof as to why we exist? You are getting into some pretty heavy philosophy here. Personally I don't think we are anywhere near the point of fully grasping the how's and why's of our universe, but I guess it must be nice to have no doubts. 

• Like 1

1. "Moronic traditions" are a huge part of every community. I am sure every sporting event and festival can be described in the same manner. Maybe it is better to be above all that, but maybe you are also missing out.

C'mon. One is used for entertainment, the other to rule the masses through fear, persecution, wars and death. Totes equivalent huh?

2. Do you have some sort of definitive proof as to why we exist? You are getting into some pretty heavy philosophy here. Personally I don't think we are anywhere near the point of fully grasping the how's and why's of our universe, but I guess it must be nice to have no doubts.

What the what? Why we exist? I don't really care "why" but Ill go with a fortuitous sequence of events and biology. NOT that some omnipotent being created us for the lulz. However I am willing to accept ANY, and I mean ANY, physical proof that I can see or touch. Can you hook a brother up?

Other "important documents" throughout history show many gods so maybe you guys should believe those hokum. Spread out your gods a bit so you don't get stuck with the butthurt god that punishes you to eternal torment for not following his "word". :lol:

• Like 1

Some is feeling unusually combative today. BTW any guesses on who hacked Gfted1's password? :lol:

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell