Politics' Official Eighteenth Thread

Amentep

Even though I do believe the law is specifically targeting Muslim women, lets for a moment pretend it isn’t. Why should I be stopped from wearing a mask in public? Anonymity is greatly beneficial in many situations... case and point: this very thread would probably be very different if we weren’t all benefiting from varying degrees of anonymity.

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

Even though I do believe the law is specifically targeting Muslim women, lets for a moment pretend it isn’t. Why should I be stopped from wearing a mask in public? Anonymity is greatly beneficial in many situations... case and point: this very thread would probably be very different if we weren’t all benefiting from varying degrees of anonymity.

We have similar law, but it's targeting soccer hooligans. It prevents them from anonymously devastating property.
following that line of thought, why have internet anonymity? Everyone being traceable by everyone would certainly better the tone on the internet

And everybody knows

Congratulations Spain, by the way. The less buttholes like Rajoy creep around in Europe the better. Now if we could only get rid of the EPP altogether...

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

“And since you have a right to free speech there is no reason to not allow excercising this anonymously.” so why not in public? Not like every masked person wants to stab someone; and not like you can’t deal harm to people over the internet either.

And everybody knows

“And since you have a right to free speech there is no reason to not allow excercising this anonymously.” so why not in public? Not like every masked person wants to stab someone; and not like you can’t deal harm to people over the internet either.

The internet is 99% privately owned. Not a public space. We reserve the right to refuse service and all that. We can let you be anonymous all we want.

Recall a while ago Blizzard wanted to attach Real ID to battle.net accounts. They didn't because of backlash, but they would have been well in their rights to require it to use their services. You'd have to agree to it, obviously, but if you don't you'd get no access.

Anonimity on the internet is not a right, it just happens to be the way it works on most sites. Free speech doesn't come into it.

• Like 2

Didn’t it originate in the U.K. with carved turnips and all that? The US form may be unique to the US, but similar types of traditions exist elsewhere.

As I understand it, its more specifically from Gaelic and Welsh sources (mostly from the Gaelic Calan Gaeaf festival). 

For example of the possible application of a anti-mask law, the US state of Georgia has an anti-mask law (from 1951) to make it possible to prosecute the KKK who, until that point, had been using anonymity to commit crimes and intimidate witnesses and minorities.  It is also very narrowly interpreted according to the Georgia Supreme Court to, as I recall, really only factor into situations where the mask provokes apprehension of intimidation, threats or violence despite not specifying that in the law.  The law also makes exceptions for masks for work, gas masks, masks for holidays and masks for theatrical or mardi gras style celebrations.

The law, as its currently interpreted, wouldn't apply to a Muslim woman in a traditional face covering unless she was trying to use anonymity to intimidate others thanks to her anonymity or to intimate violence against others thanks to her anonymity.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Republicans are throwing a fit after finding out that Google returns "nazism" in the search results for "Republican Party" as a definition of the party.  And they are blaming the "liberal bias" of people who work in Google.  The problem with that rationale is... no actual human/person in Google added the word "nazism" to the search results of the Republican Party as a definition. It was the Google's artificial intelligence - i.e., machine learning - that made the decision to auto-generate nazism as a result for any search for on Republican after the A.I. has self-learned the search habits and patterns of millions or even billions of people over time.  So, if the A.I. determined that if the definition fits, then the A.I. just added made the decision based on the facts it has "learned".

P.S. Since then, Google has manually removed nazism as a definition for the Republican Party.  Manually as in some human/person in Google overrode the A.I. decision and took out nazism from all relevant search results.

Edited by ktchong

Well that happens when AI learns from todays media I suppose

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

US diplomacy at work, I guess.

They also brought a resolution to the UN today that garnered a grand total of one vote, their own, and they must have known that that was all it was going to get- and they spent ages lobbying for it and tried all sorts of procedural tricks as well. At this point the 'bad' diplomacy looks like it's 100% deliberate and intended to make the US look isolated.

They also brought a resolution to the UN today that garnered a grand total of one vote, their own, and they must have known that that was all it was going to get- and they spent ages lobbying for it and tried all sorts of procedural tricks as well. At this point the 'bad' diplomacy looks like it's 100% deliberate and intended to make the US look isolated.

What was the resolution?

This really deserves to go on the weird, random, and interesting things thread, but it’d be better to contain politics in here.

(Spotted on Vox) Fox News, wtf? http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2018/05/31/school-shootings-this-cannon-fires-unbelievable-ammo-to-blast-through-walls-and-help-rescue-victims.html

I don’t care what side of the gun debate you’re on, schools aren’t fortresses and I’m pretty sure there’s usually planning before using it and by the time the siege engine squad arrived, it’d be too late.

Edited by smjjames

I think it’s just Trump that hates free trade, most Republicans aren’t as protectionist as Trump is.

Looks like Trump wants to go back to the mercantilism of the good old motherland. Maybe he'll annex India at some point. Too many engineers flooding the US. ;)

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

What was the resolution?

Blaming Hamas and PIJ for Gaza violence. The US was also the only country to vote against the previous resolution.

Well there is one thing both Democrats & Republicans agree on. If the US Government wants something you have it's perfectly OK for them to just take it. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2018/05/31/a-64-year-old-put-his-life-savings-in-his-carry-on-u-s-customs-took-it-without-charging-him-with-a-crime/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.617efb63b804

34181408_2073797532878950_11135062890837

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Thomas Sowell