Does Deadfire Have the Best Stealth Mechanics in a CRPG?

Does Deadfire Have the Best Stealth Mechanics in a CRPG?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Does Deadfire Have the Best Stealth Mechanics/Moments in a CRPG?

I'm just 20+ hours into the game, but this may have the best stealth mechanics and moments I have ever seen in a traditional CRPG.

I'm so used to the typical CRPG having rather plain stealth mechanics; go into stealth mode (or sometimes fail in the older Infinity games), to sneak past an enemy with a strong possibility of that action failing, or using stealth to move through a dungeon, helping you to spot traps and hidden items easier.

In Deadire, stealth is very straight forward again, but with a twist; I've had moments in the game where I can don a disguise to fool guards, throw a sound distraction device to help me sneak past enemies, and even plant a device in a very "Hitman" type moment. As someone who loves stealth in video games, these are all very welcome and fresh ideas in a traditional CRPG.

Again, I'm only 20 hours in or so and I look forward to hopefully more moments like this.

Do you like the stealth mechanics in Deadfire? Do you think Deadfire has the best stealth mechanics/moments in a CRPG to date? Sound off!

muh...never cared for stealth , robbing and such . But for the few times I had to use it (cose reasons)...it's pretty good actually . 

Is it the best ? That really depand on compared to what game ? 

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

I love it because distraction is a thing. Way better than D:OS stealth system of "Talk to them so they can't look at anything because that have no sensing area like PoE".

Now the game just need a system to hunt for thieves when they get pick pocketed or have their item stolen.

• Like 1

I'd say it's the best stealth system I've ever played, but there are a lot of games out there I've never played.

I remember thinking the game SEVEN: The Days Long Gone had an interesting looking stealth system, but haven't tried it.

I'm not a huge stealth player but I would agree that it's one of the best, if not the best, stealth system in the "old-school" type of RPG. And I'm always glad to see the devs pushing for different styles of gameplay, even in a franchise such as PoE which has a focus on combat.

Same with the faction stuff, it's just great to see that in Deadfire I think.

• Like 1

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I forgot to mention the viewing cone and hearing circle that have been added to Deadfire. That's a really great mechanic too!

EDIT: Also the ability to reverse pickpocket, ala' Fallout! Grenade in the pocket anyone??

Edited by Jayngo

Eh, it might be the best. Simple but functional.

But that's probably only because the stealth in every other cRPG i've played is beyond dreadful, if they even exist in the first place.

This pretty much. I quite like Deadfire's stealth but I wouldn't say its remarkable, however the stealth in most CRPGs is terrible so its definitely in the running for the best.

Best I've seen personally -both PoE 1 and 2 are the ONLY games I've ever bother with stealth as more than an occasional instance for a specific quest. In these? Spend all my time exploring in stealth. Because I can. (In PoE 1, all my party invested in Stealth - that's what I'm not keen on in PoE2 - skills are painfully few.)

That said, still haven't quite worked out how to get Edér to do Backstab yet - the enemies always seem to detect and turn around as soon as he gets close enough to stab them.

I would say no. It might be the best in a way, but not for an RPG. Stealth system of games like Arcanum or Fallout allow for some creative emergent use. Deadfire has a bit of it, but I feel it’s much more controlled (or I didn’t try to break quests hard enough).

Still, Deadfire has some great moments utilising stealth/pickpocketing.