What is your worst single-class in Deadfire?

Your worst single-class in Deadfire (no subclass)?  

270 members have voted

1. 1. Your worst single-class in Deadfire?

• Druid
    • Chanter
    • Rogue
    • Paladin
    • Fighter
    • Ranger
    • Wizard
    • Cipher
    • Priest
    • Barbarian
    • Monk

An important thing to note about why I still say Priest is the worst single-class: they have a lot of low-level spells that provide a buff that doesn't stack with a higher level spell that provides a slightly upgraded version of that same buff.

Since you can't "unselect" a spell to select a different one, you're forced to choose between whether you take the low level buff or the high-level buff or waste slots taking both.

This problem is exacerbated by the fact that a lot of characters can provide the same buffs to themselves through abilities.

This makes a large portion of the Priest spellbook useless.

Priest in the current patch is really only good for devotion and maybe a few heals. Terrible at everything else compared to the other classes. Mediocre damage, low cc, long cast time, non-stacking buff and weak high tier skills. Even their buff removal is nothing compared to RAnger with -30 sec from buff shot.

Priest in the current patch is really only good for devotion and maybe a few heals. Terrible at everything else compared to the other classes. Mediocre damage, low cc, long cast time, non-stacking buff and weak high tier skills. Even their buff removal is nothing compared to RAnger with -30 sec from buff shot.

Looking at the spells alone, I used to agree with you.

Then I discovered Brilliant Inspiration + Salvation of Time. You weave in short duration buffs and spam Salvation of Time over them. As an example, Barring Death's Door is right there.

I don't know if Barbarian is BAD per se, but I think they've lost the most from their POE1 implementation and it makes me sad to see where they are now.

Priest was awsome for three mains reasons :

1) +10 of accuracy AND +20 of accuracy of devotion. Now, only stay Devotion. And overall this SHOULD BE nerfed overall (10 for example). But if Obsidian do that, Priest is totally dead.

2) Sparking the souls was excellent but now, it appear very late and only for single (who want a priest single ? Nobody...)

3) In POE1 3.0 priest gain immunities and he was fantastic. Here, this function disappear for a buff of a single target... And the inspiration disapear with that if it is a counter ! Sadly no more useful for 3s of cast, plus recovery... And heal is better with druid (and druid have level 3 constitution inspiration AOE !...)

So yes, Priest is catastrophic actually. Generally, people take priest for devotion, and especially not single class, for use the second class. (Chanter is a good candidate)

Barring death+Salvation of time is an "ok" strategy... But need a problematic situation. If you have a good team, it is not useful.

Solutions :

Priest is a buffer yes or no ?

- All single target buff turn AOE (Like dire blessing and co).

- Sparking the souls down Line 7. Too much specific and unique to give that only to a single class.

- More appealing L9. Actuallty it is only bad damage or bad afflictions, not very creative...

- Some NEW specific passives like... I don't know : Damage overtime +15 %, 25 % of chance to hit to crit a buff, etc etc.

It is a good start.

Edited by theBalthazar

1) +10 of accuracy AND +20 of accuracy of devotion. Now, only stay Devotion. And overall this SHOULD BE nerfed overall (10 for example). But if Obsidian do that, Priest is totally dead.

OEI doesn't want to nerf Devotions, that's obvious to anyone who has followed the franchise since PoE1. But...

... maybe they can be forced to do this if we cry big enough river.

Vancian =/= per rest.

Then I discovered Brilliant Inspiration + Salvation of Time. You weave in short duration buffs and spam Salvation of Time over them. As an example, Barring Death's Door is right there.

I don't know if Barbarian is BAD per se, but I think they've lost the most from their POE1 implementation and it makes me sad to see where they are now.

After stuff get nerfed and damage calculation gets fixed then maybe that will be useful. But atm, you don't need that many buffs unless your team is low on damage. Devotion is the only buff you ever need.

Doesn't help that Salvation is a T6 spell so there's still no reason to ever go single priest. Like, the only thing useful on T7 - T9 priest is Magran's Might because it can be used to remove the annoying Unbending.

Priest really got the short stick. They scale badly with level as most of the buffs only get bonus duration. Most of their spells are terrible. They are also the only class who barely benefit from OP Empower and will mainly be using that for resource.

Wait a priest skill gives Brilliant Inspiration? Then no way can they be close to the worst.

Edited by Dongom

Wait a priest skill gives Brilliant Inspiration? Then no way can they be close to the worst.

Remember, polls are based on opinions.  Opinions are not always informed.  I get a chuckle when I look at this poll because in all honesty, none of the classes suck.  They are all completely valid and work fine.

I picked monk purely cause I don't like the class concept, but I have played the game and will tell you, I would take a monk or fighter (probably rogue too, better interrupters and caster assassins) over a barb any day of the week.  Yet barb is apparently really awesome according to this poll.

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 3

I think priest is the worst. While wizards are a bit dull now, they still have a lot of great spells and evokers can do insane damage. Rangers aren't that great but they can still do good damage. But priests are just so crap, aside from one spell: Devotions for the Faithful. This single spell is pretty much the only reason to bring a priest. Their spells have such long cast times and usually small AoE that it's hard to make use of them. I mean really, if an in-combat buff with a 3s cast time requires the party to literally stand in a huddle around the caster, it's just not usable.

Edited by Arnegar

I can't imagine why people would say single class wizard are "underpowered" or "disappointing". They're incredibly good, a lot more so than in PoE 1 since you can go wild with spells every encounter. I will admit tho that Aloth stats allocation isn't the best (but you could always make a wizard PC or mercenary).

Priests are admittedly less good than they were in PoE but they still have a few really nice spells aside from DotF, but their high level spells feel lacking so i can understand why people feel they're a bad single class choice (i still ike symbol of Eothas and Hand of Weal and Woe).

Rangers, i have yet to try so no opinion yet.

I personally voted for Paladins, because while they're pretty useful, no +engagement talent in the whole tree and ultra nerfed sacred immolation really disappointed me. I can't think of a good reason to not give Paladin at least 1 engagement slot. Crusaders (paladin + warrior) seem to be a far superior choice.

I'm actually playing a ranger on my first playthrough. sharpshooter. I admit I don't have much to do. I just let the AI handle him. I'm only on classic so most fights are so easy I don't even need to click anything. I could just let my party fight by themselves the game is so easy in most places. I find myself usually only controlling Aloth or sometimes Xoti.

Priests are very strong, people confuse dps or something with good class.  They are the best buffers and healers in the game, period.  Yes their high level spell selection is a little more limited than it should be, but what is there is still useful.

Like I said before, there are no weak classes in this game. They are all perfectly valid and usable, it just opinions.  I said I don't feel super impressed by barb, yet at least a third of my game has been me running around with Serafen in  my party as a straight class barb.

• Like 1

Priests are very strong, people confuse dps or something with good class.  They are the best buffers and healers in the game, period.  Yes their high level spell selection is a little more limited than it should be, but what is there is still useful.

Like I said before, there are no weak classes in this game. They are all perfectly valid and usable, it just opinions.  I said I don't feel super impressed by barb, yet at least a third of my game has been me running around with Serafen in  my party as a straight class barb.

Devotion is the only good buff in the game that priest really have. Their heal is mediocre because majority of the classes in the game have a way to not receive any damage and right now, enemies do not deal any damage to warrant healing. Friendly fire end up dealing the most damage along with Self-burn immolation on Paladins.

And yeah, all classes are perfectly viable in this game. It just so happen that priests are really only good for that 1 ability atm and they don't really scale off anything. At least Rangers can grab the ice crossbow and twin shot with driving flight for 12 arrows that easily deals 300 AoE damage per shot to anything that don't have 100+ deflection (each arrow when crit explodes into like 25 damage AoE each). What can priests really contribute to make the game easier outside that Devotion?

Maybe I am just a crap player but I have had great success (Borat Voice) with Maia (however you spell her name) as a Scout gunner.  Rifles, Blunderbusses and pistols.  She hits hard and has very quick reload times.  She is my only single target damage dealer but it works.  That being said for once I am not playing PoTD it is on veteran and most things work on less than PoTD.  I didnt play PoTD on this first run cause of Josh's comment on the balance.  Can I be playing PoTD or is it that bad?  I really want to lol but do not want a crap experience.

• Like 1

Have gun will travel.

Ranger is really nowhere near bad. It just so happen that majority of the weapon classes feels mediocre compared to mages because of how they scale into the mid and late game. There are only like, 2 good ranged weapon in the game being The triple ice bow and the fire arquebus and that people always compared those using ice bow to Monk. Ranger is like the 2nd best at using it or even the best if you can 100-0 the enemies with Twin shot which is like, 90% of the fights. You have to be fighting at Paradise of the mind or some kind of level 16 Fampyr/Knight with 100 deflection for Twinshot to not just outright kill and those are barely 5% of the games. The other 5% are bosses.

Edited by Zeitzbach

Devotion is the only good buff in the game that priest really have. Their heal is mediocre because majority of the classes in the game have a way to not receive any damage and right now, enemies do not deal any damage to warrant healing. Friendly fire end up dealing the most damage along with Self-burn immolation on Paladins.

And yeah, all classes are perfectly viable in this game. It just so happen that priests are really only good for that 1 ability atm and they don't really scale off anything. At least Rangers can grab the ice crossbow and twin shot with driving flight for 12 arrows that easily deals 300 AoE damage per shot to anything that don't have 100+ deflection (each arrow when crit explodes into like 25 damage AoE each). What can priests really contribute to make the game easier outside that Devotion?

Except none of that is true.  I am beginning to think removing difficulty indicators from everything is the one bug they need to turn into a feature.

Does everyone decide "best class" based on how they play at level 20 with the best gear in the game? That isn't how it works.  Barbs are op as heck.... with great gear, past level 15, but you don't spend the majority of the game with great gear over level 15 do you?

If you are not finding fights that are difficult, or require healing/buffs, you are simply put either not looking, avoiding any fight  with more than 1 skull, or staying in Neketaka until you are over level 10 or something and not doing any exploration until deep in crit path.

All the stuff that is actually challenging is off on random island #5 and likely you never get sent there for anything other than your own curiosity.  Maybe that's a game design issue *shrug*.

Except none of that is true.  I am beginning to think removing difficulty indicators from everything is the one bug they need to turn into a feature.

Does everyone decide "best class" based on how they play at level 20 with the best gear in the game? That isn't how it works.  Barbs are op as heck.... with great gear, past level 15, but you don't spend the majority of the game with great gear over level 15 do you?

If you are not finding fights that are difficult, or require healing/buffs, you are simply put either not looking, avoiding any fight  with more than 1 skull, or staying in Neketaka until you are over level 10 or something and not doing any exploration until deep in crit path.

All the stuff that is actually challenging is off on random island #5 and likely you never get sent there for anything other than your own curiosity.  Maybe that's a game design issue *shrug*.

I was beating fights like steel Preacher (level 15+) at level 8 without priests and also all the other stuff that were higher level above me. The thing is, the armor rating is so busted atm healing is bad compared to just, say, having the druid use the leaf looking skill that gives everyone near him Robust which pretty much prevents the enemy from dealing damage while also healing you back over time. Why heal for 50 when you can have someone give you a buff that gives you 2 armor that -50% all damage?

Enemy damage don't scale either outside mages so getting hit for 14 per hits is a joke when you can regen over time or pop Atheletic second wind for instant full heal with no delay. You only need 1 point into Atheletic too and that char with 20 poitns in athletic will boost it to level 6-7 for EVERYONE for instant on-demand 90 health healing. I dumped Xoti right after reaching Neketaka and finished her quests on my 2nd playthrough.

And you can get good weapon like

Arquebus or legendary pistol as soon as you arrive at Neketaka. With 50k gold blessing, you can just buy the 47k arquebus and be busted, or go to crookspur for a saber and armor if you steal em and so on. Even the best triple-ice bow in the game is right behind Neketaka on the world map for you to grab really early.

There isn't really a best single class at the moment but there certainly is a worst class. Priest terrible scaling is a fact in this game. They don't scales off items like weapon-user do because they have no spammable offense skill that are instant cast and scales with weapon damage. Buff do not scale with levels and only go up in durations so they can't abuse empower either. They get the worst of everything since they also removed the CC immunity and turn them into talents or food items.

There really is no point to playing a priest outside "I need devotion" which is their only unique and useful points no other class can compete with, which isn't even that great because even with the fixed-upscaling, the highest defense in the game is like 100, 150 with fortitude on dragon bosses and you will easily reach 120 base accuracy without devotion on your primary attack skill.

Edited by Zeitzbach

Ranger:

Pet abilities are weak considering that they apply to body which cant use items. So you soak pleanty of points into half good warrior.

Pet abillities cost to much, and do very little. Why to use Heal Companion on pet, when i can use lay of hand on anyone.

If you want to ignore pet and just go full Ghost Heart there are not enought abillites for main ranger.

Pet AI sometimes doesnt attack.

No ranged pet.

Not fun to play.

Priest

Class ability does not give much (Holy Radiance) and does not change with deity, so it is bland.

No passives, you can know as many spells per tier as you like but you gonna cast only twice.

Nothing to spend ability point on level 1, you want deity spell, and tier 1 heal, and then what? Arms baerer?

No way to increase spell cast per encounter with excess ability points.

Buff spells take long cast but have short duration. Holy Meditacion.

Even single target buffs take 7 sec to cast. Litany of the body. Champions boon.  So selfbuff and fight melee is not viable.

Tier 5 spells are garbage level. Reveive is nice, but you dont want to use that. Searing seal deals little dmg for such level. Barring the Door gives 10 sec, and then what?

Tier 4 is good selection of spells. But after that there is just too litle spells to choose from.

Tier 5 no good dmg spell. No good buff spell.

After level 4 far less heal spells. So even if we want priest for heals we can do, since there is no such spell on each tier.

Not enought summons on different levels, so going spiritual ally is no choice.

In comparison to that ciphers are kinda good. Yor mana never ends. If any tier is garbage you ignore it and use higher/lower more. Have some passives, and some are good.

Wizards are overall strong, since there is always spell worth casting, most versalite. While druid/priest have list of 1 spell per tier given, Wizards are given 2 spells per tier, and they can choose patronage in combat at will. (change grimoires).

Wizards still suffer from too many ability points, not enought passives. No +1 cast per tier

At lower levels you probably want to swing staff or whip rod. But there is no passives for better wand whipping.

No passives at level 1 again.

Evoker is ok, since there is many evoking spells, and themed grimoires, and specialization passive is good. (Moar dmg). Transmutacion at least have some useful spells. Other schools have too limited spell selection at each level to make it worth.

CIpher, at least you have passives which are worth something.

Not being forced to pick power at each tier is boon. There are some good enought, considering the cost.

There is general problem with Pool classes that they have like 11 pool points total at level 20. And each of your ability cost like 2-3 pool. So you can cast 5-3 abilities and that is it. You could multiclass. But that is not ideal solution. Some abilities cost too much for what they do (heal pet).

There could be power level 8and 9 passives +3 your favorite pool. So you could use your abilities.

So Priest and Ranger are priority to buff. Or at least payed attencion to.

Other aproach is to provide more neutral passives from level 1 for everyone. So if your class ability at this level is trash you could take neutral.

Edited by evilcat

Priests need tons of buff but Ranger only need a direct buff on the pets because pets scaling are terrible in this one and stop dealing damage after level 4 or 5 while also being really squishy. Pets should scales along with PL as a base line or have talents that get boosted by PL.

The other rangers skill are all fine except for the root which I never use. Accurate Wounding Shot is good for early crit and dealing with deflection. Mark is a super easy +10 accuracy and the upgrade version is "cast once and forget" type. Concussive is an instant buff removal and Evasive Fire has great DPS. When you get to level 19, that talent with ice bow or AWS allow me to perma interrupt bosses which was rather ridiculous as it serves like a 15 seconds CC if needed.

If we are going to buff ranger, buff them by creating more useful weapons into the game. Right now, the only useful ranged weapons are the Ice Bow and Dragon Arquebus. We need some kind of special pair of magical pistol that has no need for reload so we can go double bang bang with twin shot or some kind of hit-and-run bow that gain damage as you run around before each shot up to like 50-70% so you can also do something flashy like Evasive fire away from enemy for distance cover, shoot, rinse and repeat.

As a single class Ranger seems very undercooked compared to every other class. I think Ranger probably needs a suite of additional actives for debuffing various enemy defenses: Screaming Shots to lower Will, Distracting Barrage to lower Deflection, that sort of thing. Along with having a pet I tend to think of Rangers as skirmishers, who would traditionally have the task of harassing the enemy -skills like this would fit that theme.

I'm surprised Priest is so high in the poll. It seems very powerful to me but maybe the difficulty level just isn't there for Priest to shine at the moment.

• Like 1

I admit I primarily multi-class. But I'd have to say after playing around with trying to make a furry druid that I find druid at least as a caster to be just bad. I hit a large area sure but it never seems to do any damage. As point of clarity I wanted to go with a storm/lightning theme and went all in on that so it might just be lightning spells in general. I'd have to say it's lacking as a caster class over all. The massive cast time compared to say wizard for little damage is kinda disappointing. That said I think top tier pure classes would have to be rogue, chanter, wizard, monk. There are other classes that are solid solo classes but I think they are better suited to being apart of a multi class. A key example for me is the fighter is a class that I think almost exists to be paired with another class. You want a tank? fighter + X = tank.

• Like 1

As a single class Ranger seems very undercooked compared to every other class. I think Ranger probably needs a suite of additional actives for debuffing various enemy defenses: Screaming Shots to lower Will, Distracting Barrage to lower Deflection, that sort of thing. Along with having a pet I tend to think of Rangers as skirmishers, who would traditionally have the task of harassing the enemy -skills like this would fit that theme.

I'm surprised Priest is so high in the poll. It seems very powerful to me but maybe the difficulty level just isn't there for Priest to shine at the moment.

Agree with you here. I’ve had success with the ranger but only as a Scout. I think a lot of the classes are good as single class but the ranger needs a bit of a nudge in that direction. Also since there is no more heath/endurance system the pet isn’t as attractive. That being said with a few invested points they are a good mini fighter and haven’t been that soft in my case. Combined with the ranger/rogue firepower I find it to be a good class.

Have gun will travel.

Twin shot is still one of the better damaging skill in the game and again, Triple Ice Shot bow with Twinshot. That thing is broke. You have to be a T9 druid/wizard and Monk to break the damage this thing has to offer from just a press of a button.

https://imgur.com/JpZiuVd

Only like, 5-10% of the game encounter don't get instaAoEgipped by it.

Edited by Zeitzbach

Yeah single-class paladin is probably in a worse position than ranger or cleric at the moment. It's saving grace is that Paladin combined with a bunch of glasses for multi make a good toon but alone it's nothing special anymore with the nerfed abilities. Maybe you can abuse self-immolation somehow but that's about it.