What is your worst single-class in Deadfire?

Your worst single-class in Deadfire (no subclass)?  

270 members have voted

1. 1. Your worst single-class in Deadfire?

• Druid
    • Chanter
    • Rogue
    • Paladin
    • Fighter
    • Ranger
    • Wizard
    • Cipher
    • Priest
    • Barbarian
    • Monk

I can see Ranger being a potentially fun solo class if you know how to micromanage the pet and constantly kite with roll. The problem is that single-target class is meh as AoE are guarantreed to wipe until they fix level-scaling with spell and overpen bonus.

Maia quest rifle is also a multi-target hit rifle so if you can consistently get enemy in a line, that's ton of damage every shot.

It's also great to accidentally hit civilians and cause entire areas to go hostile.

Works perfectly with her story as well... Uhh... No spoilers though

@E.RedMark: Have you played PoE1, or are you new to the franchise? If so, there will be something of a learning curve (which I personally love to encounter in any new game I indulge in).

I did play POE1 lol the issue...is that I just suck . I mean I played DOS 1 and 2..and dunno..the system was easier , the each it turn make it easy . When it's like BG...I get a harder time . I did finish the game , just not gonna brag 'I played on Insanity and I still have my pants!' lol 

*Shrug*...I get it eventually lol 

• Like 1
I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

I like how monk and barbarian aren't even in the poll, since who in their right mind would pick them?

cose they are both bald? Double shine for Andraste!  :lol:

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

@E.RedMark: Have you played PoE1, or are you new to the franchise? If so, there will be something of a learning curve (which I personally love to encounter in any new game I indulge in).

I did play POE1 lol the issue...is that I just suck . I mean I played DOS 1 and 2..and dunno..the system was easier , the each it turn make it easy . When it's like BG...I get a harder time . I did finish the game , just not gonna brag 'I played on Insanity and I still have my pants!' lol 

Yeah, turn-based is another beast, but you do know that you get to set up auto-pauses and you can have slomo slow mode, etc?

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I like how monk and barbarian aren't even in the poll, since who in their right mind would pick them?

Just you wait!

EDIT: ...and added!

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Yeah, turn-based is another beast, but you do know that you get to set up auto-pauses and you can have slomo slow mode, etc?

yeah but it's not the same . 

Add to that..I'm more innit for the story...so when I go all 'Move away damnit! I gotta go kill this guy so I can get this super duper weapon and no I'm not giving donation! 

Take sometime before I notice someone is dead lol 

Been playing games since the atari..but...there are games where I can kick anyone butt and some..just meh , I'm mediocre at best lol 

• Like 1

Elderly Hive Dweller

Voted for Priests. 

I love that we get different votes. Somebody picked Chanter, a class that I'm certain would be able to solo PoTD Deadfire as it stands right now.

I saw someone saying they were useless because you didn't need support outside healing. I suspect some people haven't read the Chanter ability list much...They have everything, debuff, buff, healing, damage, summons, CC.

Ranger are not a bad class. They are very passive which seems to be a problem for many players, but they can deal a crap tone of single target damage.  Well at least Maia does. Although, Ghost heart is crap. The summon can be interrupted and when that happens they get stun locked trying to summon the pet. They also get no bonus outside summoning their pet which is basically a negative. lol.

• Like 1

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

@E.RedMark: Nice to see another gaming veteran. I played Pong in the 70's, and my first D&D CRPG on the Intellivision slightly later, and I have been hooked ever since.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 2

wonder though if it's fair to vote for class one either can't play cose they don't like it , or don't like it for reasons (like rp reasons , just doesn't feel right) . 

I mean there is a difference between the 'This class is weak , and I'm a pro at knowing when it's ' and 'This class is so muh..everyone say it,s fun but I just don't feel it' . 

Elderly Hive Dweller

I had significant problems with my cipher at first. Took too long to build focus- usually encounter was already finished by the time I built focus and then went through the casting time.

But at level 11? Completely different beast. Disintegrate requires one opening shot and then something in the back just dies. Or I can open with dominate, which completely swings fights.

Actual weakest? Ranger. Maia gets by as ranger\rogue, but ranger brings little beyond an extra body. Doesn't do the kind of damage the fox could do in PoE1, and if an enemy focuses on it, the bird dies.

Priest had been really good so far- defensive spells, spot healing and some really big nukes.

Edited by Voss

True, and RP-wise, there aren't any weak classes in Deadfire.

so why the hating on ranger ?  :getlost: making me wanna re-roll now  :lol:

Elderly Hive Dweller

IIRC, ranger was among the worst in PoE1 as well. Perhaps the class will be boosted (a rare thing, if so, in the PoE franchise).

B-but..you get a pet ! *whine* and get an exuse to use a BOW! 

*Sulk*....and have an exuse to be wacist against everyone cose 'Nature'.....

• Like 1

Elderly Hive Dweller

While I don't think rangers are bad, I don't really see what you gain from going single class with them instead of mulitclassing. Pets scale with CL instead of PL and the high level abilities aren't amazing, so why not pick up another class?

if that question was toward me , I'm multi-classing right now . I went Druid/ranger . 

As for going single class ranger , dunno....for that classic feel? Not everyone like or know how to use multi-class . 

Elderly Hive Dweller

I've read that some think Wizards are gutted and that Rangers are unvaried and bad. I've also read that Rogues suck.

Still, after 50h in the backer beta, and over 50h in Deadfire, my own candidate, disregarding subclasses, for the worst class in Deadfire 

would be... *drumroll*

Cipher!

Oh I love ciphers. I am playing an ascendant and it’s sick. Reach max focus in about 3 shots and go wild with spells without an end. Buffs/debuffs/mindcontrols/damage. Chaining high level spells and not worrying about focus is just crazy. I feel like maybe an 50% discount would be buff enough. Right now it’s hilariously great.

• Like 1

All these down votes on Ranger. Careful people. If I find out who you are, I'm sicking my bear companion on you and he won't let go until you change your mind!

It’s coming from love, to hate. I am leveling Maia and all picks look dull and unappealing.

All these down votes on Ranger. Careful people. If I find out who you are, I'm sicking my bear companion on you and he won't let go until you change your mind!

It’s coming from love, to hate. I am leveling Maia and all picks look dull and unappealing.

I will admit, and this may be heresy, but the ranger skills in D:OA are far superior.

By far it has to be Ranger, but that's only when it's single classed. I know in a second playthrough, I'm planning to multi-class my Fighter as

a Ranger. My dude may turn out to be like Aragorn from the Lords of the Rings, but the only difference being is a pet wolf follows him around.

Edited by wolfrider100
  • Like 2

" Life... is strength. That is not to be contested, it seems

logical enough. You live, you affect your world. "

Jon Irenicus ´

I'm so going to have to give ranger a try later because their skills do look interesting and some of the warbow/arquebus are reallllyyy good.

And they're even better in the hands of another class. I've got a great hunting bow for my cipher- gives action speed as an aura.