What is your worst single-class in Deadfire?

Your worst single-class in Deadfire (no subclass)?  

270 members have voted

1. 1. Your worst single-class in Deadfire?

• Druid
    • Chanter
    • Rogue
    • Paladin
    • Fighter
    • Ranger
    • Wizard
    • Cipher
    • Priest
    • Barbarian
    • Monk

I've read that some think Wizards are gutted and that Rangers are unvaried and bad. I've also read that Rogues suck.

Still, after 50h in the backer beta, and over 50h in Deadfire, my own candidate, disregarding subclasses, for the worst class in Deadfire 

would be... *drumroll*

Cipher!

It hasn't done me any favours, really. And it used to be my favourite in PoE1 - I even PotD-soloed the game early on with one. Sad.

What is yours?

EDIT: I've added a poll! :)

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Ciphers never run out of spells, can stun, blind, charm, etc all day, cause raw damage for fun, get about +30% weapon damage.

My assassin can kill almost anything before it's gotten an attack off.

Rangers can, uh, have their pet play dead?

Edited by RocketChaser
  • Like 5

Cipher is awesome because they have the best buff at T9, +8 Pen. With that buff, you are guaranteed to get +100% damage from overpen on anything.

IMO, the weakest is priest. All the spell post-devotion tier are really weak or mediocre.

Unless I missed something overpen does only +30% damage ?

Overpen in POE2 can do up to 120% damage.

My opinion for worst single-class in the game would have to be Priest, unfortunately. Level 8 and 9 Priest spells aren't that impressive, their passives aren't that impressive either and a Priest gets all of their best spells by spell level IV.

• Like 1

I must agree that Priest is bad - it would be my 2nd worst class.

I have Cipher as no 1, since charming and a great T9 ability can only get you so far. Ciphers in PoE, especially the early ones, were absolutely fantastic, like the best - so I think their fall from grace hit me the hardest.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

a class I don't know how to play (or don't like to play)   :p  like cipher , chanter , monk , rogue.....adept-..wait wrong game lol 

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

I must agree that Priest is bad - it would be my 2nd worst class.

I have Cipher as no 1, since charming and a great T9 ability can only get you so far. Ciphers in PoE, especially the early ones, were absolutely fantastic, like the best - so I think their fall from grace hit me the hardest.

Try using the +8 pen spell on your wizard. Enjoy having Empowered Salvo doing 2-3k on a single cast.

Like, there's absolutely no reason to do anything when you can have your caster use giant AoE and the cipher just give him +8 Pen to go with it. 700 damage Maelstorm is hilarious and also broken.

Edited by Zeitzbach
  • Like 4

I added a poll. Vote away! This will be interesting.

more like chaotic! Hope you got booze for the mass!  :lol:

• Like 1
I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

*Hic!* You we're saying?

You drunk it all!  :aiee:  tis gonna be fun now !

How about a button for 'All of them' and 'None of them' . May as well make it spicy ! 

I get the cannon ready oy oy !  :lol:

• Like 2

Elderly Hive Dweller

I do realize that there could have been two polls:

-one for best solo single-class (at least which class we think functions best, left to its own devices)

-and one for best party single-class.

I chose Cipher. I just don't understand the class. I didn't get it in PoE either. Never used the Cipher companion in that game either.

With regard to all the negative Ranger comments in this section.....I hate you all!!!!!!!!  :devil:

I love that we get different votes. Somebody picked Chanter, a class that I'm certain would be able to solo PoTD Deadfire as it stands right now.

I can see Ranger being a potentially fun solo class if you know how to micromanage the pet and constantly kite with roll. The problem is that single-target class is meh as AoE are guarantreed to wipe until they fix level-scaling with spell and overpen bonus.

Maia quest rifle is also a multi-target hit rifle so if you can consistently get enemy in a line, that's ton of damage every shot.

Edited by Zeitzbach

Got inspired with this topic ! :lol:

IndiraLightfoot : So matey *Hic*..who gonna tell me which of you screw up a simple *hic* job! 

Dwarf: Aye , a simple job you said ! But that weasel over there *point an angry fist at a hooded figure* say he can hide in shadow but couldn't step right and got the damn bell ringing!

Rogue: I didn't trip anything! the way you carry that hammer of yours clinging against your armor is all the ringing
bell we needed !!

Cipher : I would have handled the guard , but someone decided to jump ahead and throw *Make wide motion with his arm* a damn spell and that almost singed my hair !

Mage: Trust me , if I were aiming at you , you would have no more hair to moan about!

Cipher: This hair cost me ALOT YOU ASS !

Barbarian: AH! The idiot who need to hide behind mah back to cast his illusion wearing a wig! *run a hand over his head* 

Fighter: You are one to talk ! That damn bald head of yours is more shinie then the Paladin shield and casting a glare stronger then that priest blessing spell!

Priest: please please , peace my brothers and sis-

Paladin : oh shut up you pigeon! between your mumbling about your god and that idiot over that Harping and singing 
it's a wonder they didn't spot us miles away !

Chanter: I could sing about you if you rather *wink then clear her troath* ''There was a Paladina with soaking Breech , she went
squish squish down the hall-..

Priest: Dear Lord..

Paladin: SHUTTUP!

Monk: Who need an ennemy when we are our own *Hum*

Ranger: Want an arrow between the eye so you can see better who screw it up ?

Monk: We can exchange , you can have my fist and let see who is faster !

Druid: Um..anyone care for some tea ? *Sniff* it's Chamomile..*mumble*...really relaxing...

IndiraLightfoot: Urgh..I need a drink..*Groan*

Druid: *With Sparkly eyes* shall I pour you some ?

Everyone: NO!
  • Like 3

Elderly Hive Dweller

Priest and ranger. Without doubt.

You nailed it even before this turned into a poll. Well played, or should I say, bien joué?

I wouldn't know lol I was never one for mixing or anything . I mean peoples keep saying the game is too easy..and I keep dying ! someone find the error !  :lol:

Elderly Hive Dweller

@E.RedMark: Have you played PoE1, or are you new to the franchise? If so, there will be something of a learning curve (which I personally love to encounter in any new game I indulge in). Let's just say that stuff like Penetration, Concentration, Recovery times, Action Speed and levels of Afflictions and various resistances matter.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot