I started a new party with all characters I hate: Aerie, Anomen, Cernd, Nadia, and Haer'Dalis.  It's been... interesting.

Sidenote: Haer'Dalis is really good!  I don't remember Blades being that useful in the original game, but he's tearing #$#% up in EE.

Oh my.. that is... a terrible idea  :w00t:

I don't think I could ever finish that playthrough. Also you're in for a surprise if you romance Aerie. Just saying.

Haer'Dalis actually is extremely useful, especially when you get the upgraded bard song he's very powerful.

I tried, I really tried to romance Aerie.  But after the umpteenth complaint about the trauma of losing her wings-- wings <CHARNAME> never had, made to a guy who just saw his sister kidnapped and half his companions killed, to say nothing of the trauma conga line that was BG-- I just had to tell her to STFU.

And that ended that.

• Like 1

I started a new party with all characters I hate: Aerie, Anomen, Cernd, Nadia, and Haer'Dalis.  It's been... interesting.

Sidenote: Haer'Dalis is really good!  I don't remember Blades being that useful in the original game, but he's tearing #$#% up in EE.

Oh my.. that is... a terrible idea  :w00t:

I don't think I could ever finish that playthrough. Also you're in for a surprise if you romance Aerie. Just saying.

Haer'Dalis actually is extremely useful, especially when you get the upgraded bard song he's very powerful.

I tried, I really tried to romance Aerie.  But after the umpteenth complaint about the trauma of losing her wings-- wings <CHARNAME> never had, made to a guy who just saw his sister kidnapped and half his companions killed, to say nothing of the trauma conga line that was BG-- I just had to tell her to STFU.

And that ended that.

It will never cease to amaze me how minor bioware npcs issues are compared to the PCs and yet how they'll go on and on and on about it and not even acknowledge the PCs issues. It's magical.

Another reason I loved Eder was because he actually was supportive and didn't ignore the Watcher's feelings.

• Like 2

As far as the relationship with the Watcher, yeah, I don't get it.  He does show concern at times, but yeah, not like in the first game, and his personal quest is kind of insulting for those who were hoping to romance him...another dead former lover?  After Boone in New Vegas, and about half a dozen Bioware games?  Come on, Obsidian writers.  You're better than that.  At least give him an original personal quest, even if you don't want him to be a romanceable character.  Rehashing the dead lover storyline seemed cheap.

Lol meee. The male LI with a ex-wife/gf drama has become a serious pet peeve of mine thanks to Bioware. I groaned when I realized where Eder's personal quest was going.

There were shades of this kind of backstory in Obsidian's Neverwinter Nights, too, in the Aarin Gend romance.  

• Like 1

As far as the relationship with the Watcher, yeah, I don't get it.  He does show concern at times, but yeah, not like in the first game, and his personal quest is kind of insulting for those who were hoping to romance him...another dead former lover?  After Boone in New Vegas, and about half a dozen Bioware games?  Come on, Obsidian writers.  You're better than that.  At least give him an original personal quest, even if you don't want him to be a romanceable character.  Rehashing the dead lover storyline seemed cheap.

Lol meee. The male LI with a ex-wife/gf drama has become a serious pet peeve of mine thanks to Bioware. I groaned when I realized where Eder's personal quest was going.

There were shades of this kind of backstory in Obsidian's Neverwinter Nights, too, in the Aarin Gend romance.  

To be fair, that one was on Bioware, Obsidian only did NWN2.  The dead former lover thing was also present in Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic, with Carth Onasi, and Jade Empire, with Sky.  I guess we were supposed to be grateful that Anomen in Baldur's Gate 2 only compared the PC to his dead sister...

Personally, I kind of groaned when Boone in Fallout New Vegas had the same backstory (dead wife), but I thought it was done better than any of the Bioware examples.  I really don't understand why it was dredged up here.  It's not done well, we all are familiar with the trope of Women in Refrigerators in 2018, and there were about a million and one better ways to go with his personal quest than this.

I'm just putting it out there, if Obsidian wants to use my idea for a quest where Eder takes down the back alley puppy mills of Neketaka, they can use it for free.

• Like 5

To be fair, that one was on Bioware, Obsidian only did NWN2.  The dead former lover thing was also present in Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic, with Carth Onasi, and Jade Empire, with Sky.  I guess we were supposed to be grateful that Anomen in Baldur's Gate 2 only compared the PC to his dead sister...

Personally, I kind of groaned when Boone in Fallout New Vegas had the same backstory (dead wife), but I thought it was done better than any of the Bioware examples.  I really don't understand why it was dredged up here.  It's not done well, we all are familiar with the trope of Women in Refrigerators in 2018, and there were about a million and one better ways to go with his personal quest than this.

I'm just putting it out there, if Obsidian wants to use my idea for a quest where Eder takes down the back alley puppy mills of Neketaka, they can use it for free.

Ohh I mixed up the games then - NWN 1 for NWN 2. 

But yes, agreed. All those examples are what built up to my current distaste for this particular video game trope lol. (I was so annoyed by Carth that it made me biased against Kaidan just because he had the same voice actor)

• Like 1

Hah! Didnt realize Obsidian did NWN2. That means they screwed me over twice. First with Bishop (I'll never forgive this betrayal), and now with Eder. 

Yeah, I was mad when I saw his personal quest was finding an ex, and even more annoyed to find out they fridged her. Like, if we had to go that route, I had assumed that when we found her she would at least have moved on, maybe had a new family and was happy with them. Really didn't expect for her to be dead :/ Thats really the worst direction you can go with the ex-wife/girlfriend storyline. 

What sucks is that now I gotta let her son die too. I looked at the ending sliders and the only way Eder doesn't just ditch you to raise his exes kid is for the kid to be dead. Sorry Bearn.  

Edited by Mari
  • Like 3

I liked Edér a lot in PoE2. I will say that I was also disappointed in his quest which just... felt like a weird continuation of his character, and in the Deadfire especially.

But all in all, I felt Edér's sorta point to shine was in Pillars 1, and I kinda like that. In that, he faced a lot of his personal demons and I'm a glad in a way that they at least chose not do something EVEN BIGGER for his quest in Deadfire, just because. His story with his brother and his struggles with his god felt like the point of Edér to me, and that's mostly done in PoE1.

Though I do really like his ongoing disappointment in Eothas in Deadfire, and his comment near the end about the gods just being children really made his story throughout these two games worth it.

As far as banter and regular dialogues go, he still felt like regular old Edér to me.

• Like 1

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I liked the OP because I agree the ex-girlfriend story line is weak (despite some humor from the companions on him being a dad). That being said I think his character was extremely consistent with POE1 and clearly grew in terms of him rejecting Eothas and wanting legitimate revenge/answers. So well written character, weak companion quest. 

• Like 1

Don't forget Thane in Mass Effect 2 with the dead wife. Yeah, they can never just have a bad breakup or something in their past. She always has to be dead and the guy is filled with regret for the rest of his life, and the PC has to try to pick up the pieces. :getlost:

Edited by Tamyn
  • Like 3

Like I get being disappointed but angry? Naaah.

Maybe I'm too used to the husbando/waifu wars but I can't get angry that I don't have a certain romance option. I tend to just appreciate the ones I have. (Except in BG2 case because my only option was a douchecanoe and to have my PC act like a doormat.)

Giggle.

Always wondered what people thought of the only romanceable male character.

Personally after the first playthrough I've always randomly murdered Anomen just to rid the world of his whining  :biggrin: 

Yeah I couldn't do it. I tried but I ended up killing everyone myself and picking up some mod companions. Well mod companions and Dorn

I think Cernd and Annoyman were the only two characters I really couldn't stand in BGII.  But I usually didn't kill them, just kicked them out of the party.  Mostly.  Except occasionally I might give them "advice" to run naked and weaponless into a pack of orcs.  I couldn't help it if they actually took that advice! :shifty:

• Like 4

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I think I could stomach his romance if it was like Carth and you could call him out on his bs. But you can't without him getting huffy so it just feels like the PCs forced to be be a doormat or an idiot and I'm just like naaaah.

Not to mention the only way to make him palatable is to make him chaotic neutral and that takes way too long. And even then he's whinier than I'd like.

Edited by Ryz009

Don't forget Thane in Mass Effect 2 with the dead wife. Yeah, they can never just have a bad breakup or something in their past. She always has to be dead and the guy is filled with regret for the rest of his life, and the PC has to try to pick up the pieces. :getlost:

Like the OP said, and I agree, this is what off regarding Eder's  quest in relation to the novella about him and Elafa.  She clearly states for Eder to find someone else.  That he's "pretending that their relationship is more than what it is."  Eder says how do you know its not, she says because I know you.  She goes on to say that Eder looks at her with loyalty, and obligation, and the person she use to be and she doesn't want that.  So why would his quest involve seeking her out, especially after knowing she had married.  Regardless if she is living or dead she already gave him his answer.  Was he hoping she had changed her mind, based off of what?  Is it about the son he finds out she had and suspects might be his and then finds out isn't?  Is it the same misguided, but well intended loyalty and obligation that makes Eder think he needs to take care of Bearne?  Sounds like it, do I think Elafa would have wanted that?  Nope, she would have wanted her son safe, but also capable of figuring out what he truly wanted just like Eder needs to.

• Like 8

I never thought like an important part of Pillars plot got stuck into those short stories. They felt like little illustrations of what the characters were like. Edér's story seemed at the time like an illustration of such traits of his as loyalty, his sense of obligation, his religious views. Elafa didn't seem like a big deal too, just a girl he once dated but it didn't last long. And then he returned from the war lonely and confused, and she was a familiar face, and they found a bit of comfort in each other for an evening. I never could imagine she would resurface 20 years later as the love of his life or something. I was ok with his quest at first, thought he was driven by nostalgia, and then a possibility of being a father. But I expected we'd find her alive and she would once again explain to Edér that she has changed and moved on, and he better do the same, because you can't enter the same water twice. Instead she got killed off, and Edér got stuck forever with his issues. I think he deserved better. And Elafa too deserved better than to be a source of his eternal angst. She seemed like a pretty cool lady from the story, and I would love to meet her. Her son wasn't interesting at all.

And even with him, it seems like a giant plot hole that after he tells us he wants to join some creepy cult we simply leave him be, only to discover later that he did as he said and sails after Eothas to commit suicide. Surprise! We could have offered him to become a cabin boy on our ship, since we are going after Eothas anyway. The sea would make a man out of him :) So many missed opportunities! I'm not even speaking about that overused woman in the fridge trope, because enough has been said about it already.

There was also a potential to give him a slow "friends to lovers" romance arc. We rarely get those, and it would have felt fresh. Especially comparing to some companions who jump out of their pants a couple of hours after they first saw the Watcher. Not that it's bad, but love has many faces, no? It would be fun to have something different.

Him being fixated on Elafa, who I assumed was an old story, which was over 20 years ago, is what I think gives me the feeling like 20 years of his life experience were undone. And even the friendship we forged in the first game got lessened, because he says something like he didn't have anyone to talk to, and his old folks didn't know him, and only remembered him as a child. It feels odd because he knew where the Watcher lived, and he never had problems with sharing his thoughts with the Watcher in the first Pillars. I thought we were friends, Edér! Friends are great for such talks :) And then he leaves everything behind, picks up his comatose friend and sails to the other end of the world. And it kind of feels like his actions and his words don't correlate.

• Like 9

First of all: I hope this won't be seen as a hate thread. I'll try to abstain from my emotions and talk about what bothers me in the way Edér is written in Deadfire, because I need to talk about it.

1. Friendship with the Watcher.

As much as friendship with Edér was satisfying in the first game, as much it's disappointing now. Edér doesn’t feel like your old buddy who've been through all sorts of things with you, like dragons, gods, jumping into the endless pit, etc. He feels very distant. So few friendly interactions. No inside jokes. Before he won me over by being very caring and attentive to my character, but now his friend shares the soul with his god, and he's so indifferent to it. I miss him waking my Watcher up and promising a bucket of water.

2. Personal development.

In Pillars 1 Edér ended up a mayor in my game. The epilogue noted his optimism and strong desire to help people. He seemed determined and empowered, but in Deadfire he seems depressed all of a sudden. Maybe it's a bug, because it doesn't make any sense to me. His personal quest seems rather odd too. It seems more logical for him to have a quest to find Eothas and finally get the answers about Woden and Saint's War, but instead he's chasing his dead ex girlfriend, who dumped him twice, told him to move on and find someone who will appreciate his soft heart, and clearly moved on herself, married someone and had a son. So instead of going forward with personal development, Edér apparently goes 20 years back. Is this a midlife crisis? It feels so dissatisfying, especially comparing to Aloth, who strides forward boldly. Edér feels stuck and depressed for some reason, and it's never explained why is he like this, or why does he act like an old man whose life will end tomorrow? (He's only 37 years old, if it's true he was 32 in the first game).

3. Romance.

After Elafa told Edér (in the short story) to find someone who would love him, giving him a romantic arc seemed like a logical choice, especially after everything he's been through with the Watcher. And his actions say he does care about the Watcher, but he says he never thought about it? I just find it hard to believe. Indeed, like Tekehu noted, Ngati weeps for such wasted potential. His sudden fixation on Elafa after 20 years seems rather artificial and forced. For some reason she's suddenly the only person he could talk about things that worry him, but not the Watcher, who he never had problems sharing his thoughts with before. So it's the dead girlfriend and he will never love again. Seriously?

TL/DR (and personal feelings ): I feel like this is not Edér. Like maybe Leaden Key kidnapped him and replaced with a depressing clone. It's definitely not the Edér I was so excited to meet before the Deadfire release, and the change is so drastic and so inexplicable, that almost feels like the most beloved character was deliberately sabotaged as some kind of a cruel joke. I don't expect to get the answer "why", but I talked to other fans about this, and we agreed that it feels extremely disappointing, what was done with Edér, and perhaps if we provide feedback, then it will help Obsidian somehow in the future. Or please, for the love of god, patch him if this is a bug! Give us our friend back.

I mean, assuming the watcher is male, and you played as a male watcher, we could deduce that maybe he's heterosexual? It might have already been thrown around ITT but I wouldn't discount the possibility.

I think Eder only talking about going to see his parents is a bug, since that's what he does when his POE 1 quest is never completed. He shouldn't have that as his recent history with the Night Market or Mayor of Dyrwood endings.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with this. 

It seemed strange that Eder's main priority was suddenly to find a woman he hasn't seen in years, someone he apparently has strong feelings for and yet never mentioned in the first game, when his God was stomping around the ocean. And the practice of killing off a woman to serve the story of a male character is over used and tired at this point. I expected a continuation of his conflict with his religion, or maybe a story line that had him confront his racism, and could allow him to grow and learn to let go of his prejudices. It feels like there was so much wasted potential.

His personal quest feels like a weak attempt to render him unromancable without a strong argument to back it up. While I was disappointed that Eder was not a romance option, I would have been much more content with that decision if there was a logical, well written explanation for it. I also don't believe his quest gave him much opportunity for growth, if any. It felt to me that he stayed the same throughout, even claiming that he hadn't worked through some of his problems, and might die without having resolved them. It made for a very unsatisfying conclusion. 

• Like 4

First of all: I hope this won't be seen as a hate thread. I'll try to abstain from my emotions and talk about what bothers me in the way Edér is written in Deadfire, because I need to talk about it.

1. Friendship with the Watcher.

As much as friendship with Edér was satisfying in the first game, as much it's disappointing now. Edér doesn’t feel like your old buddy who've been through all sorts of things with you, like dragons, gods, jumping into the endless pit, etc. He feels very distant. So few friendly interactions. No inside jokes. Before he won me over by being very caring and attentive to my character, but now his friend shares the soul with his god, and he's so indifferent to it. I miss him waking my Watcher up and promising a bucket of water.

2. Personal development.

In Pillars 1 Edér ended up a mayor in my game. The epilogue noted his optimism and strong desire to help people. He seemed determined and empowered, but in Deadfire he seems depressed all of a sudden. Maybe it's a bug, because it doesn't make any sense to me. His personal quest seems rather odd too. It seems more logical for him to have a quest to find Eothas and finally get the answers about Woden and Saint's War, but instead he's chasing his dead ex girlfriend, who dumped him twice, told him to move on and find someone who will appreciate his soft heart, and clearly moved on herself, married someone and had a son. So instead of going forward with personal development, Edér apparently goes 20 years back. Is this a midlife crisis? It feels so dissatisfying, especially comparing to Aloth, who strides forward boldly. Edér feels stuck and depressed for some reason, and it's never explained why is he like this, or why does he act like an old man whose life will end tomorrow? (He's only 37 years old, if it's true he was 32 in the first game).

3. Romance.

After Elafa told Edér (in the short story) to find someone who would love him, giving him a romantic arc seemed like a logical choice, especially after everything he's been through with the Watcher. And his actions say he does care about the Watcher, but he says he never thought about it? I just find it hard to believe. Indeed, like Tekehu noted, Ngati weeps for such wasted potential. His sudden fixation on Elafa after 20 years seems rather artificial and forced. For some reason she's suddenly the only person he could talk about things that worry him, but not the Watcher, who he never had problems sharing his thoughts with before. So it's the dead girlfriend and he will never love again. Seriously?

TL/DR (and personal feelings ): I feel like this is not Edér. Like maybe Leaden Key kidnapped him and replaced with a depressing clone. It's definitely not the Edér I was so excited to meet before the Deadfire release, and the change is so drastic and so inexplicable, that almost feels like the most beloved character was deliberately sabotaged as some kind of a cruel joke. I don't expect to get the answer "why", but I talked to other fans about this, and we agreed that it feels extremely disappointing, what was done with Edér, and perhaps if we provide feedback, then it will help Obsidian somehow in the future. Or please, for the love of god, patch him if this is a bug! Give us our friend back.

I mean, assuming the watcher is male, and you played as a male watcher, we could deduce that maybe he's heterosexual? It might have already been thrown around ITT but I wouldn't discount the possibility.

He flat out tells you he's heterosexual if you ask him if he has feelings for you with male watcher.

• Like 1

Guest Blutwurstritter

Eder didn't change much more for me, he rather grew up a bit and became less of an insecure brainless follower, emphasis on less. I mean he had next to no reason to follow you in the first game, but nonetheless he packed his stuff and followed a complete stranger, bugging you the whole time to tell him what he should believe. 

Gotta agree with post no.2 in the thread. Eder's the same old awesome dude, his undercurrent of tragic past forming the crux of his main personal quest. How do I know it's the same old Eder? Because he get's a pro animal reputation buff in the Watershaper Guild quest in the final room. 

Aloth's turned into that guy who comes along on a road trip and sucks all the fun out, as has Pallegina. But maybe she was always like that...

You read my post.

You have been eaten by a grue.

Whenever he talks, he felt like good old Eder. He just... lacks context in Deadfire. Could have been a random hired crew member. Very little catching up, even less continuation/evolution of his arc. I suppose there is some reflection of who, he become in a way he interact with the boy, but I found it all unconvincing. I feel like Obsidian overdid it with the editing this time.

• Like 2

I would pay good money for puppy rescue DLC. 

• Like 1

When i see goal - [3m :"Relationships"] - i instantly think: "Pallegina! Wait me!"

But, when i played: "Pallegina not romanceable" - my chair instantly burn!

Waiting a couple a days siting a park, i decided: "Ok, second options - romance Eder"

BUT!.....

My burn see people in neighboring region

Now, i seat and wait in -Hachiko mod- :"Kissing Pallegina"

Edited by Daeion

When i see goal - [3m :"Relationships"] - i instantly think: "Pallegina! Wait me!"

But, when i played: "Pallegina not romanceable" - my chair instantly burn!

Waiting a couple a days siting a park, i decided: "Ok, second options - romance Eder"

BUT!.....

My burn see people in neighboring region

Now, i seat and wait in -Hachiko mod- :"Kissing Pallegina"

You want to romance them because they are cool people.

They don’t want to romance you because they are cool people.

• Like 1