I think in the endings where we didn't save the kid he's too unhappy. I bet the guilt will plague him forever, and that's why I will always do my best to save Bearn. He'll grow up and marry and make Edér a grandpa (granduncle?) in a couple of years, and then Edér can go back to the Watcher (I hope).

So I agree there's still hope. I just feel like his potential in Deadfire was wasted, and some of his character development from the first game ignored or oversimplified or retconned. Fingers crossed for more companions stuff in DLCs/future updates.

• Like 1

I started a new game and avoided meeting Xoti because I think she's annoying, and I noticed that Eder's personal quest prompt (which usually triggers after meeting Xoti and the Dawnstars) never came up.

I wonder what kind of ending slide I will get if I never complete his quest?

Aloth massages his temples, shaking his head.

To be honest, I am not holding out for the 3rd game on this.

Since this game handled it in such an unpleasant (for his fans) way, I think if the writers cave in to romance in the third game, it will be worse.  :p

I started a new game and avoided meeting Xoti because I think she's annoying, and I noticed that Eder's personal quest prompt (which usually triggers after meeting Xoti and the Dawnstars) never came up.
I wonder what kind of ending slide I will get if I never complete his quest?

I think you need to talk to Dawnstars somewhere for his quest to pop up. On my pt where I didn't get Xoti his quest triggered in the Gullet.

• Like 2
Emissary Tar: At last, someone who looks like they could be of some assistance! The assorted boobs and dimwits around here have been of very little help.

Charname: I’m afraid you have mistaken us for someone else. I’m Dimwit, this is my good friend Boob, and behind me you’ll find Brainless and Moron. How do you do? 

To be honest, I am not holding out for the 3rd game on this.

Since this game handled it in such an unpleasant (for his fans) way, I think if the writers cave in to romance in the third game, it will be worse. 

Like Barik in Tyranny. My biggest fear for Edér!

Although Barik at least got his issues resolved in the DLC.

I haven't completed Tyranny, but I remember Barik and Verse were my favorites. What happened to him? Aside from being a walking sewer stuck in a tin can.

As for Eder not liking the Watcher. I feel like the Watcher is the least "normal" person regardless of what they want in their miserable life. The first game they were going crazy, staring into space drooling, conversing with ghosts. Second game they still converse with ghosts, still drool and stare into space but now they also have gods watching them like a reality show and taking active part in their life.

Idk this is anything but normal.

I know we are talking about fictional characters here, but I feel like you don't need logical reasons for someone to like someone, and vice versa. Sometimes people are just not attracted romantically even though they have extremely close friendship. Sometimes being friends is better than being lovers. And in fictional universes its alright too, they don't need legit reasons if the writers decide they don't.

Edited by Aridea
  • Like 2
Emissary Tar: At last, someone who looks like they could be of some assistance! The assorted boobs and dimwits around here have been of very little help.

Charname: I’m afraid you have mistaken us for someone else. I’m Dimwit, this is my good friend Boob, and behind me you’ll find Brainless and Moron. How do you do? 

I haven't completed Tyranny, but I remember Barik and Verse were my favorites. What happened to him? Aside from being a walking sewer stuck in a tin can.

If/when you kill his mentor Graven Ashe, he falls apart mentally to the point where he stops responding to stimuli. With DLC, you can snap him out of this endgame depression and eventually get him out of the armor altogether - something that was missing in the base game. He even uses three different portraits depending on how far along his de-canning you are.

Edited by Skazz
  • Like 1

I haven't completed Tyranny, but I remember Barik and Verse were my favorites. What happened to him?

That's spoilers.

Let's say a very brief and very bugged sexual encounter was added, and I definitely wouldn't want anything like that for Edér.

Regarding reasons for Edér not to be romantically interested: it's one thing if he kept doing what he was doing in the first game, and the Watcher could never bring this up, or if the Watcher brought it up, and Edér said, "Sorry, I consider you my baby sister, and I love you like a baby sister." That's fine. But if we can ask him about his feelings, and he gives this very confusing speech about how he can't move on for 20 years but it's fine? What is this?

tumblr_p9el3edXA61unrz44o3_1280.jpg

Such finality, like he already decided his life is over, but there is absolutely no reason for it to be over? He's not even old, and his life is not even that bad.

• Like 2

Such finality, like he already decided his life is over, but there is absolutely no reason for it to be over? He's not even old, and his life is not even that bad.

Right, because the Saint's War was a joyful walk in the park for everyone involved. ;)

Sure, one can argue things could always have been worse, but I'm pretty sure he didn't have it all that swell either. The chief reason why Eder behaves like he does is because he saw the absolute worst of life, humanity, and the divine all in one go. He isn't a jokester for the sake of being jokey, it's his way of coping with the horrible, horrible stuff he's seen.

Edited by Skazz
  • Like 5

It's not that his life is over, it's that he can never go back and be the person he was before the war, and that Eder had a future that probably involved marrying some nice local girl and living that farming life. He misses his friends and family, his hometown as it used to be, and his uncomplicated religious faith. He's stuck mourning for all of that and hasn't managed to let it go and move on. Realistically he's not that old and he could still settle down if he wanted to, but it'd inevitably be different than what he used to imagine for himself. I think he shoves all of this aside instead of dealing with it, so he remains stuck. 

• Like 4

And the Watcher isn't given the option to slap him and tell him, "I'M RIGHT HERE! LOVE ME AND WE CAN HAVE A BEAUTIFUL LIFE TOGETHER!" :p

...or, you know, convince him in a less dramatic fashion.

• Like 3

Of course he isn't interested in Xoti romantically, she is early 20's and he is probably mid to late 30's. 

I don't want to shock you, but Xoti is 27. Yeah, I know. But that's what she says herself.

As for Eder's personal quest, after hearing one of his banters with Pallegina about having children I don't really think it's about an old flame or Bearn's life and death. I think it's more about Eder desperately wishing for some sort of normal life and family and realising that time is ticking. Elafa and her son are just the people he happened to appoint his family substitute. Which is kind of sad, I suppose, but still not as sad and unhealthy as suddenly deciding that you have feelings for a woman you haven't seen in 20 years.

When does she say that exactly?  She looks, and acts, like someone who is maybe 22-23.  Also Eder did not "just suddenly decide" anything, he realized something was missing, he thought about it, and figured out he regretted not staying by her when he was younger.  That is called a realization that you made a mistake in your youth, it isn't a midlife crisis or a random event.

Of course he isn't interested in Xoti romantically, she is early 20's and he is probably mid to late 30's. 

I don't want to shock you, but Xoti is 27. Yeah, I know. But that's what she says hersel

When does she say that exactly?  She looks, and acts, like someone who is maybe 22-23.  Also Eder did not "just suddenly decide" anything, he realized something was missing, he thought about it, and figured out he regretted not staying by her when he was younger.  That is called a realization that you made a mistake in your youth, it isn't a midlife crisis or a random event.

Here.

He's midlife, and it's very normal to start seeing that there's more behind you than in front of you and regretting decisions you made earlier. It's just weird that he apparently has no notion his mind can change again.

Edited by Celan
  • Like 1

Maybe he just doesn't want to romance the Watcher. Like... he just doesn't feel like it y'know? Just like my Watcher didn't want to romance Xoti, because she's kinda weird. 

Yes, Edér finds *you* weird. And you probably smell bad too. That conversation Edér has with you regarding him finding Xoti to be kind of a pain the butt? Edér probably has the same conversation with Serafen or somebody about you, you weirdo.

• Like 6

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

In which case, yes Xoti, you are kind of immature.  Also has anyone actually gotten this line in the game?  Just because it is in the files doesn't mean you can actually get it, and if it actually isn't in game it could be retconned/ignored on a whim.

Maybe he just doesn't want to romance the Watcher. Like... he just doesn't feel like it y'know? Just like my Watcher didn't want to romance Xoti, because she's kinda weird.

Yes, Edér finds *you* weird. And you probably smell bad too. That conversation Edér has with you regarding him finding Xoti to be kind of a pain the butt? Edér probably has the same conversation with Serafen or somebody about you, you weirdo.

How DARE he!? My OC is the PERFECT woman for him! AND I think he's hot! How can this be possible???

• Like 2

In which case, yes Xoti, you are kind of immature.  Also has anyone actually gotten this line in the game?  Just because it is in the files doesn't mean you can actually get it, and if it actually isn't in game it could be retconned/ignored on a whim.

I did get this line in the game, that's how I learned Xoti is 27. But it sure was a big WTF moment for me, I'd give her 20-22 tops. 

• Like 2

I did get this line in the game, that's how I learned Xoti is 27. But it sure was a big WTF moment for me, I'd give her 20-22 tops. 

Huh. She must have lead a REALLY sheltered life then. For the record, Pallegina in PoE 1 was 26. But yeah, I'd give her no more than 19-20 at max, given how incredibly immature she is at times - or that just might be her over-the-top genki girl personality. Either way, I still don't know whether that's supposed to be deliberate, or did the writing team screw up.

• Like 1

Yes I did. Because I had the same reaction to Xoti as Pallegina, heh.

I took screenshots of the conversation with Eder (at +1 rep) that gave me the feeling that he thinks the Watcher is too creepy to date because they are a Watcher:

post-51558-0-62715400-1527987985_thumb.jpg post-51558-0-69821400-1527987992_thumb.jpg post-51558-0-50553000-1527988005_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Yeah, Eder is probably the most normal and human out of all of the characters, including the Watcher. So while beings friends is fine, any sort of romantic relationship will probably be taking it too far.

Although all that speculation may be completely wrong and we get surprised in the third game, who knows.

the watcher's too creepy but the awakened spirit sharing a body isn't?

Lol good point. I did always think it was more of a joke. I don't think we are supposed to take it seriously. But again who knows.

I actually felt like Eder became a flanderized version of himself, so to speak. His worse qualities were amplified, like his racism and how mindlessly cruel he can be to others sometimes (like not recognizing that his jokes can be hurtful). He still pets every animal, so of course that's him right? Well. It feels like he lost much of his dark humor and he no longer feels like he's being laid-back and kinda detached.

I also agree with OP that his relationship with the Watcher lost some its warmth. He doesn't express nearly as much concern and care as he used to. Maybe because the Watcher's mental health is pretty okay now.

But personally, and I am aware that I will be in the minority here, I didn't want Eder to be romanceable. The idea of him being an object of sexual desire makes me uncomfortable and that's my personal feeling. But. The way it was handled in game wasn't satisfactory to me because the game reminds me all the goddamn time about his love life and whatnot. NPCs can ask if Watcher and Eder are an item, Watcher can tell Xoti to back off because Eder is theirs etc. Then of course Watcher can ask if Eder has any feelings for them - and to be honest, even though I wasn't enthusiastic about the idea, the way Eder was expressing his admiration for Watcher I thought he might actually love them - and gets turned down. It's quite nasty if you're playing an orlan. Anyway, I just wished that this whole thing would boil down to "Nah sorry I just never saw us that way" and not... that convoluted thing it was. (As a side note, while Eder and Watcher were quite cordial I didn't really think they could be in a romantic relationship. Like I didn't think Eder would want that. He retains a certain distance, at least that's how i see it).

I also thought that his personal quest was rather disappointing and that it could instead be more about Eothas and faith. I mean, it kinda is but mostly it's about his fling that happened ages ago. After reading some of your points, especially made by marimo, I see some value to it. Like it's more about Eder regretting how the war affected his life and changed it significantly and destabilized it rather than just pining after one woman. More like what she represented vis-a-vis the moment in his life at the time.

• Like 8