Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Companion/Sidekick impressions

companion sidekick

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Judicator

Judicator

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 251 posts

Eder - good tank, haven't tried the reposte swashbuckler build, but I'll give it a go on my next playthrough. Likeable, but nothing special personality-wise.

Xoti - okay priest, bad everything else. I like her character and voice. 

Aloth - pure wizards are strong and Aloth is no exception. He's a bit uninteresting to me as a person though.

Pallegina - a total nag, even worse than she was in PoE 1, but all of her builds are fantastic. 

Sarafen - I like his personality, but mechanically he sucks. His stats are garbage.

Maia - boring personality and I generally don't care much for rangers.

Takehu - needs to die in a fire.

Edited by Judicator, 15 May 2018 - 04:18 AM.

• Infiltrator_SF likes this

Wormerine

Wormerine

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2409 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
My take on companions is as follows:

Eder - straight up fighter. Very useful. Eder is Eder. I like him. Or to be more accurate: I liked him in PoE. I don’t remember him doing or saying much of note in Deadfire. What was there was very Eder’y. I want more. I feel like “reunion” isn’t really acknowleged. I was excited to see him for the first time, but he just didn’t say too much ever since.

Aloth - same as above, though as he is a rather silent character I don’t mind it as much. With both those cases I am not sure if I would care much for them, if not for the already established personal attachment. I feel I really should be able to have a more in-depth talk with Aloth after leaving Port Maje all things considering. Good wizard.

Pallegina - yhh.... very wrong save import kinda started us on the wrong foot. She also really dislikes one of my permanent companions so I didn’t spent much time with her just yet. I felt like the breaching her exile ending from PoE with Deadfire is very amwkward. Stitches are visible. Great paladin.

Serafim - so far my favourite new companion. He has good introduction, you know why he follows you, and he didn’t verbally sexually assaulted my character, unlike other three. Gameplay wise - I manage to do stuff with him a bit more once I ditched his blunderbuss for full melee (I play as cipher, so I made him a barbarian). I certainly keep him more for story when dealing with Principi rather than gameplay.

Xoti - psychotic, emotionally unstable character. I don’t know WTF is happening with the relationship system, but many things went very wrong with Xoti for me. Very unappropriate reaction descriptions to various events, and her craving for sexual relationships. I feel like I am talking to an unstable and very dangerous individual. Solid priest though.

Maia - meh? Enjoyable unremarkable companion so far. Hoping she will reveal another layer as time goes on. Surprisingly little to say about her relation to Kana outside a throwaway reactivity line. Alright ranger, though wow, rangers lack interesting abilities - people were right. Once again, surprisingly quick to test the water as far as romantic interest. I am considering her a potential romance option, even in spite wondering how an orlan could satisfy aumaua but then I remembered she is Kana’s sister... which just feels awkward. And no way I am going to side with Royal Deadfire Company.

Takehu - he has been swiping my ship’s deck for the majority of the game so far on account of very forward advances toward my male orlan being the first thing he said to me. Just rejoined my party for some adventuring. We will see how it will go.

Recruited Konstanten and Ydwin, both are still level 1 and swiping the deck.

Edited by Wormerine, 15 May 2018 - 04:33 AM.

• Meepichi, Infiltrator_SF, Skazz and 1 other like this

Owlbear

Owlbear

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 50 posts

Edér is awesome as a swashbuckler. Also we are war buddies from the first game, so he has a place in my party no matter what.

Xoti is fine as a priest, but I find her somewhat annoying. It's probably thanks to her childish behavior, like when she is throwing a tantrum whenever I don't agree with her about Eothas/Gaun.

I use Aloth as a Spellblade, because of his undercover agent background it kinda makes sense, and using escape and cover rogue abilities with sneak passives are not that bad imo. As a character I don't really care about him, the usual Aloth is boring and easily forgettable, but with his inner sidekick it's a whole different story. I love their banters with Edér. :)

I was kinda looking forward to recruit Pallegina and I still think she's great as a paladin/chanter, but as a character she is even more stuck up than I am, so there's no place in my party for another way too serious person.

Serafen is a dirty little troublemaker, but I like him. Too bad the only useful thing he can really do well is to be a charm/dominate spamming midget.

I hated Takehu since the moment I met him. Even tho he is definitely not bad as a druid/chanter, the only reason I kept him around was because of his benefactress, but even that couldn't make me suffer him for too long. 

Maia is a fine ranged dps as a ranger/rogue and I also like her as a character. My party desperately needed more ranged characters and with her pet bird and Edér they have fun banters, so she is also one of my full time party members.

I didn't try the sidekicks so far.

Edited by Owlbear, 15 May 2018 - 04:56 AM.

• Infiltrator_SF and Skazz like this

Voss

Voss

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 750 posts
My party settled into (with my watcher as a no-subclass cipher):

Eder as fighter\rogue. Useful, but mostly just a body. Persistent distraction helps.

Chokey, full priest. A few useful defensive spells, plus some full on nukes. Surprisingly tanky.

Maia, as ranger\rogue, which seems obvious. Mostly passive abilities and pet healing. Spams hobbling shot, and is fairly absurd with it. Does a lot of damage with a superb arquebus

Finally, pallegina, she who will not die. Paladin\chanter. Fantastic. Just tanked Nemnok while wielding a great sword and default armor and he was three skull red, never went below 75% health.

Fardragon

Fardragon

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1443 posts

Eder is very likeable, sort of like a smart minsc.

This is referenced in the game, Maia asks him if he has had a head wound.

• ThacoBell and Owlbear like this

morhilane

morhilane

Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1126 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Eder is very likeable, sort of like a smart minsc.

This is referenced in the game, Maia asks him if he has had a head wound.

There is a blind old aumaua in The Gullet who said I was very kind to bring such a simple minded person with me. Note that Edér told me to make no noise and started to flap his arms before the old aumaua said that.

• Anouschnei, Juodas Varnas and Owlbear like this

Shepard

Shepard

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 46 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:PDominatorS3
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Adds some immersion... If they didn't talk to each other and didn't react to each other's comments, it would make them less 'human' and more like pixels... you know... it adds to their personality and helps us to treat them more like actual characters and less like computer graphics.

I'm not entirely sure what this relationship system even does, other than have Xoti allegedly bite her lip and Aloth roll his eyes every other sentence.

• ThacoBell likes this

mjn693

mjn693

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 10 posts

My impressions with ~50 hours so far

Eder: died in the initial ship battle   -.-

Aloth: I successfully converted him to be the main tank (since Eder died) with Battlemage multiclass which really shows the flexibility of the new class system. RP-wise his quest seems especially short compared to other companions.

Xoti: Priest-Monk multi starts out really bad, but as she gain levels her power grows exponentially. I'm really impressed by her combat wise after ~lv10. Another note is both her sickle and shield have great upgrade opportunities. My only issue is her quest feels very promising in the beginning but ended unsatisfactorily. 

Serafin: Barb-Cipher spec. I really like dual-wielding guns in this game and Serafin is the best companion for that role. I play a stalker-soulblade melee killing machine and I just need pain blocks and other buffs so Serafin fills this role perfectly while providing range damage. His carnage is completely wasted but I still found most of the barb abilities useful. RP-wise he is a nice little orlan pirate which I find pretty cute.

Pallegina: Left me after I killed Valera.

Maia: geomancer spec. Combat-wise really great with Arquebus and supporting speels. RP-wise her romance feels really..  short? Also left me when I decided to help Huana crown.

Teheku: I find his voice really annoying so he stays at deck until both Pallengina & Maia left me. Still don't like him.

Slotharingia

Slotharingia

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 448 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I found Rekke yesterday, and he's indestructible. I have him dual wiedling same as Eder, and although Eder doesn't go down, I do have to keep an eye on his health, Rekke is hardly ever missing any. Apart from that I find his gibberish hilarious and very well done. Really disappointed he's only a sidekick xD

Also, I cannot stand Maia.

Edited by Slotharingia, 16 May 2018 - 11:35 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: companion, sidekick

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users