Please tell me that Durance is going to be in the DLC

After the "round table" scene, I so want to help him get his vengeance.

I would forge a cannon to launch his soul into into the cycle if I could weaponize his hatred towards this gaggle of bickering little bitches they call "gods". It's clear to me at this point why he hated them.

Edited by spardeous
  • Like 4

Please tell me that he isn't. Can you imagine how horrible he would be fully voiced...?

lol, him and Eder were the best characters. He's the Archie Bunker of POE, except meaner and more intelligent.

His hatred makes so much more sense when you actually sit down and talk with the gods. I would probably turn into a cynical bitter old man too, If I devoted my life and sacrificed part of my soul to these louts -- with the exception of maybe Galawain, Abydon and Eothas(so far).

Magran is actually in retrospect(after completing the game) one of more reasonable gods for most parts <_< I know, its really surprising. What I mean is that she doesn't look down Watcher as much as some other gods do and she actually has sense of humor and while she has temper that can break out, she actually avoids jumping on the gun for most of the game.

Also interesting to learn that she thinks that Woedica manipulated her to nuke Eothas as you can learn in one of interactions.

• Like 5

There's really no room for Durance in Deadfire. He has nothing to do with any of the factions and his story is completely based around Godhammer in Dyrwood. Same goes to a bunch of other char.

The only two that has a chance is Kana because he's already there and Maneha.

Magran is actually in retrospect(after completing the game) one of more reasonable gods for most parts <_< I know, its really surprising. What I mean is that she doesn't look down Watcher as much as some other gods do and she actually has sense of humor and while she has temper that can break out, she actually avoids jumping on the gun for most of the game.

Also interesting to learn that she thinks that Woedica manipulated her to nuke Eothas as you can learn in one of interactions.

Pretty much the gods that are part of Galawain-Magran happy club are the "Kith should grow and become stronger on their own." club.

• Like 1

There's really no room for Durance in Deadfire. He has nothing to do with any of the factions and his story is completely based around Godhammer in Dyrwood. Same goes to a bunch of other char.

Pretty much the gods that are part of Galawain-Magran happy club are the "Kith should grow and become stronger on their own." club.

Maneha is actually in the game too.

She's in the Durrange's Tavern, but you can't really speak with her. Just gives a single line when you click her (not even actual dialogue)

Really kinda disappointing. Though not as disappointing as finding Devil of Caroc's torso being sold as bloody armor (in which description it says that she was torn apart, even though i had gotten the other ending for her in my game, so whatever???)

Edited by Juodas Varnas

Maneha actually has multiple lines of dialog that eventually loop through if you listen them all <_< Her final one before loop being essentially "Since you are here clearly something bad is going on so I'm gonna get out of here when I finish my drink"

• Like 1

while I liked him..(Sorta)...he is dead in my game . So dunno if you can bring a dead person in this game . 

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

while I liked him..(Sorta)...he is dead in my game . So dunno if you can bring a dead person in this game . 

Is he dead because you told him to renew his faith? Or because he actually died?

You kinda need to re-frame your view of him slightly to understand why he's relevant - he killed the ONE god(at great personal expense to himself) who actually took a stand for the mortals(besides Abydon). Eothas represented Durance's utopia, and Durance slowly comes to that conclusion throughout POE. Maybe it wasn't clear at the time, but his regret lies not just in the fact that he was used, but that he was instrumental in destroying the one (living)god who actually gave more of a **** about the mortals.

He is by far the most tragic character in POE, because he brought about the destruction of the one thing that he truly desired from his deity(direct intervention to benefit mortals) with his own hands.

And now, the mistake he made has been undone.

Why wouldn't he jump on the Eothasian bandwagon at this point, or the "lets just destroy heaven in general" bandwagon? Durance is highly relevant to what is going on in Deadfire, perhaps more than any of your ex-comrades, because Eothas is up marching around.

In POE, his whole story is him coming to terms with the fact that that his actions brought up the destruction of his ideals, including his personal connection with Magran. He was used and discarded.

He hated the idea of being used more than anything, so much so that he makes his position about the god's continued existence(if he had his way) well understood near the end of POE. The fact that Magran stopped commuting with him after the Godhammer messed his soul up, combined with that all of his brethren died mysteriously just adds fuel to the fire.

IIRC, he even hints at the idea that he blew up the wrong god. His redemption arc would be awesome, because he is the one character in POE who would gladly sacrifice himself for that vengeance. And I would personally not mind weaponizing that zeal. I feel like this is a missed opportunity, because in Durance, you have a character with a real chance at achieving his redemption and real motivation to do it.

He's the only one with the same sort of skin in the game that the Watcher has.

Edited by spardeous
  • Like 1

Is he dead because you told him to renew his faith? Or because he actually died?

both ?  :lol:

I had a hard time keeping him alive , so he did die on me alot and had to reload . But yeah , I got the ending to renew his faith . 

while I understand what you are saying...his potty mouth really make me wanna see him as bad butt  :yucky:

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

@OP

with avellone's recent revelations it's very very unlikely any piece of his legacy will be included.

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

Concerning DLC and digressing slightly:

At least 1 ship vs a big sea monster battle is what I'm hoping for.

More content for the sidekicks would be good (Ydwin, Konstanten etc) - possibly make them full companions if it's not too much work.

As per topic and Durance...

Not bothered if he makes an appearance in Deadfire or DLC even though I think he's a brilliant character and my joint favourite companion next to Edér. I suppose as per Deadfire's plot though, it could be spun out to justify his presence though as per his desire for revenge etc.

If there was ever a third game (akin to an epic level ToB final 'chapter') - I'd definitely like to see him return as I miss having at least one abrasive/unpleasant companion in my group (a la Edwin or Sarevok in BG). 

Seems a bit too convenient / a stretch though that everyone you traveled with happens to turn up in the sequel.

One line of dialogue with Maneha (not got that far into the game) seems disappointing though. I fought a damn Kraken with her and travelled veritable leagues of the White March with her and all we get is that?

Guess I'll comment further when I bump into her.

Edited by Androoh

Deadfire made me like Magran a lot. I'm actually thinking of doing a priest of Magran playthrough now.

As for the Woedica manipulating her, it was suggested in POE1 as well, you learn that only in one of Durance's quest resolution I think, so people might have missed it.

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Bull****, Durance killed Eothas, Eothas is the focal point of the whole damn game. There's plenty to do for Durance in the game, very intimately tied to the main plot no less.

• Like 2

The most important step you take in your life is the next one.

@spardeous- he wouldn't jump on the Eothasian bandwagon because, as he happily tells you, he got his jollies during the Purges torturing suspected Eothasians to insanity, death and the destruction of their souls.

And he regards the ones that got off with merely death as a personal failure.

He's about as tragic as the suicide of a genocidal maniac.

Edited by Voss

Durance was written by Chris Avellone, and Avellone is no longer with Obsidian, so it's highly unlikely Durance will make a comeback 

Yeah, I doubt anyone will take upon themselves to write his characters. Shame, I would love to see the broken Durance. 

In the first game your learn that Woedica and Magran worked in concert against Eothas.

Well, POEII acts like it's an actual fact that was passed on your during POE, but actually, it was just one of the hypothesis and one that you can suggest to Durance.

Woedica made part of the plan and convinced Magran, Magran executed it.

@spardeous- he wouldn't jump on the Eothasian bandwagon because, as he happily tells you, he got his jollies during the Purges torturing suspected Eothasians to insanity, death and the destruction of their souls.

He's about as tragic as the suicide of a genocidal maniac.

Have you heard what Magran has to say about humanity? lol, Abydon and Eothas were the only two gods who actually cared about humanity. And for that, they were both murdered by the other gods.

Durance was just following the dictates she laid out. Him saying he felt used is par-for-the-course with Magran's dictates. Eothas had to be eliminated "by any means necessary"; that's sort-of what the Godhammer represented. You think it was just Magran's followers who participated in those purges? lol, take look at the freaking Dyrwood, for christ's sakes. Hell, Woedica is the one who convinced a begrudging Magran that the Godhammer was a good idea - just let that sink in.

Durance is the most tragic of your companions - by the end of POE, he seemed to deeply regret his actions, not because "people died", but because Eothas represented exactly what he was asking of Magran, and why he despised his god. Magran sent them on a wild goose chase to snuff out Eothas's influence for less-than-noble reasons. Eothas may have used his followers, but he came down to personally LEAD them, at his own expense. Durance didn't even personally believe the man claiming to be Eothas was the real deal, but as you unfold his story, he tells you flat out that he "may have killed the wrong god".

That's his crisis of faith - if he truly believed that Magran's actions were just, then he would not have doubted his crusade against Eothas. When he finds out that the gods are actually just ancient Engwithian nobodies cut from the same cloth as the cast of the movie "Mean Girls", it's understandable why he is shocked - through that nature, the gods led the Dyrwood right into Waidwen's legacy, and he, along with the watcher, come to understand that in POE. The one god who could have stopped him - Eothas - was snuffed out by who? Woedica and Skaen, who were both working with Thaos, and Magran, who was "tricked" by Woedica.

Maybe Durance didn't feel sympathy for those he killed, but this is beyond splitting hairs. Does Eder sit around and twiddle his thumbs over every random pirate he kills? What about all the ships the watcher sinks? How many of those pirates would have begged for their lives if anyone on the boat had given a **** enough to fish them out of the water? Thousands died under the eye of Eder - you can balance it out and say 'yea but he helped saved the Dyrwood so it's ok' - but then so did Durance.

Which is my whole point.

Edited by spardeous
  • Like 1

Does Eder sit around and twiddle his thumbs over every random pirate he kills? 

why would anyone feel bed for Pirate ? they are PIRATEEEEE! 

Elderly Hive Dweller

They're not really pirates. After all, they only ever attack the Watcher's ship while avoiding unaffiliated merchants. 

And I agree that Durance was the best written character in the first game, and he had a more interesting story than the Watcher. So much so that back when I finished POE, I just ended up wishing that we were put into the shoes of Durance as the main story. 

I disagree with the Watcher having skin in the game for Deadfire though. For me, their arc ended in the first game. In Deadfire, they are irrelevant to the plot, and could have easily been replaced by a rock. Deadfire would have ended the same.

Just get rid of Xoti and have Durance in the game. Xoti is also robbing Eder of his spotlight. Poor Eder getting his silly side quest because of Xoti.

• Like 1

I feel like Durance' role was to be the embodiment of the Saints War and its effect on the Dyrwood. I can't say that despite his history with Eothas I think his character would have been as interesting in another setting.

That being said, I didn't like him much. His story was interesting, but it needed a serious dose of 'show, don't tell' and his personality and the timegating mechanic gets on my last nerve, and it bothers me so much of the story is buried in a single companion. I enjoyed him more as a Wiki article than in game.

• Like 1