having done the peaceful route, I got the weapon from both sides, and I think from memory the valera sword was much better than the bardatto mace. That said I think there might be a way to get into the bardatto vault to "acquire" better stuff, going to check that out next run through...

After doing all quests I first worked for Valera. This gives more Reputation (with Valerian Trading Company), also you get both unique Weapons and the unique armor from Bardetto. After the quest you can attack the Valeras to get a second copy of the Valera unique weapon and their unique armor if you want.

• 2 weeks later...

The best approach is to arrange a conference, make sure the conference breaks down, one side will backstab the other then attack you, you get both good armors and both good weapons.

Then you just go murder your way into the vault.

Then after that, recruit Pallegina, so you don't piss her off by tanking the quest.

It may be possible to refine this a bit if you can get entree to the vault without blocking a conference but I'm not sure you can -- if anyone's figured out a way to get into the vault and then do the peace conference, please share.

Edited by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

I managed to get 3 Duskfall swords lol. By playing both sides, then convincing them to have a meeting, tell Valera that I'm not ready yet, run over and kill Ezzali, run back to Valera and tell him I killed her and then tell him I'm ready for the meeting. Ezzali appears at the meeting, alive lol. After they made peace I spoke to Valera and got second sword, then I killed him and got me a third sword hehe.

Tried to recreate it again on different playthrough but something went wrong somewhere so I couldn't convince Ezzali to have a meeting, might have been because Captain Vilami died during the vault raid.

So, i can not do the peacefull approach anymore, so i have to kill one family. But does one give more loot / a better reward?

I just didn't resolve the quest in good playthrough :p in diplomatic one I got them to cooperate

So, i can not do the peacefull approach anymore, so i have to kill one family. But does one give more loot / a better reward?

you could alter some values in some files and you can go the peaceful route - there is another topic about this and i went this route...in case youre not opposed to this (i did it cause pallegina is an essential member of my party and shell leave)

others than that

killing valera yields you an awesome armor

on the other hand the valera sword you get is better than the bardatto mace imo

you can robb the bardatto vault in either way for some nice gear

Go back and talk to each of them, they each have a unique item for you. Though you do lose out in raiding the vaults.

If you have a character with enough stealth/mechanics you can steal the items from the vault. Valera is alone at night and can be murdered with no consequence for his armor and another sword. Ezzali is never alone and killing her will make everyone hostile, however her armor is not worth unless you specialize in electricity magic.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Oh, I figured out a way to get ALL The rewards for these quests -- the vault contents, both ship gear items, and all armor/weapons.

1) Stealth rob the vault on your own (you can do this at any point before triggering all the other quests, takes high mechanics, a few stealth buffs, sparkcrackers)

2) do the duel quest and resolve it peacefully

3) Do the quest to clear out the mercenaries from the Queen's Berth porch (you want to fight or pickpocket, good ring); get valero sails reward

4) Do the quest to discover the vault plot (talk to musician, go to The Hole and overhear plot)

5) return to Mr. Valero and Mrs. Bardatto and before turning in the vault plot quest, arrange for them to meet in a conference (you can do this earlier, probably best to do it ASAP)

6) turn in the vault plot quest for Bardatto Hull item

7) Go to the conference and make sure it fails, so you can loot all the bodies 

if you do all that before recruiting Pallegina, no downside!
Edited by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...
On 5/15/2018 at 10:28 AM, baldurs_gate_2 said:

I allready looted the treasure chamber. After you informed the one family about the heist, you get access to the TC and can loot everything, including the 2 yellow weapons. But you need a good mechanic skill.

I informed Ezalli Bardatto about the Valera Heist, then i told her "it is still time to speak with Atello and arrange things" she asked me to return when i am ready.
After this I tried to enter the vault but the vault guards attacked me. after i cleaned the vaul
Did i miss something?

Edited by fced

Pillars of Eternity PS4 - RPG fan - Native language French, so please forgive my poor English speaking ...

When she asks you to check on the Valera plot you talk to Zilli Valera during "A Sinking Feeling" quest. He points you to the Hole in the Gullet. When you get there you meet Persa and Baer. Here you can uncover the plot and then return to Ezalli. She will then tell you that she wants the plot to play out and ambush the Valeras. She tells you to talk to Captain Vilami and starts the quest "Family Pride". This will cancel the quest "Bigger Fish". During Family Pride you can go to the vault when you talk to Vilami he will take you there. After the ambush you are free to loot the place if you use stealth.

14 minutes ago, AeonsLegend said:

When she asks you to check on the Valera plot you talk to Zilli Valera during "A Sinking Feeling" quest. He points you to the Hole in the Gullet. When you get there you meet Persa and Baer. Here you can uncover the plot and then return to Ezalli. She will then tell you that she wants the plot to play out and ambush the Valeras. She tells you to talk to Captain Vilami and starts the quest "Family Pride". This will cancel the quest "Bigger Fish". During Family Pride you can go to the vault when you talk to Vilami he will take you there. After the ambush you are free to loot the place if you use stealth.

Actually, you can just skip talking to guard captain down and just loot the place b4 the ambush and talk after looting to him xd