Favourite Shany  

174 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favourite Deadfire Shanty?

• Deadfire Lines
    • Haul Away And Go
    • Faithful Sailor
    • Heave Away My Lendry
    • Roll The Old Berath's Wheel
    • Aim Spirente
    • THEY'RE ALL AMAZING!

Well, what is it!?

Something to be said for them all but Aim Spirente & Deadfire Lines....unf..

^ All heard here.

While you think about it, here's something to mull you over.

Edited by Ashen Rohk
  • Like 8

You read my post.

You have been eaten by a grue.

I like all of them  :yes: so where is mah button for that ! 

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

Thank you!  :w00t:

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

The shanties are easily one of my favorite things in the game.

I was expecting Obsidian to do something ala Sid Meier's Pirates. You know, vague simlish yo-ho-hos and humming. But no, they're actual songs that make sense in the context of the setting, and they're all amazing to listen to.

Glorious, glorious surprise.

• Like 11

The most amazing thing about it is that it's such a simple thing. It's a really great immersion thing that makes me smile. But most importantly it tells me that I'm not a terrible captain!

• Like 12

Yes! We have no bananas.

The most amazing thing about it is that it's such a simple thing. It's a really great immersion thing that makes me smile. But most importantly it tells me that I'm not a terrible captain!

"Someone start singing so we can pretend we didn't hear the captain's stupid orders, quick!"

BTW, I bothered to write down the lyrics for Aim'Spirente. They are available in-game but not entirely correct.

It's a fine three-master thin like a bird,

Heave-ho, Aim'Spirente!

Of Captain Parfitto's never said a hard word,

As we sail all our troubles away.

Hold fast to the helm, hold fast to the wind,

Heave-ho, Aim'Spirente!

Ondra's grace or we'll all be skinned,

As we sail down the Deadfire way.

We've gone a long way, left our loves behind,

Heave-ho, Aim'Spirente!

It caused me a sorrow most unkind,

While crossing down the Deadfire way.

(Refrain)

They say in Deadfire the luminous grows,

Heave-ho, Aim'Spirente!

And so that's where our brave ship goes,

To make our fortunes one fine day.

(Refrain)

Hold fast to the course, hold fast to the waves,

Heave-ho, Aim'Spirente!

If we don't wind up in salty graves,

We'll come back to Spirento someday.

(Refrain)

Edited by omgFIREBALLS
  • Like 7

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

Heave Away My Lendry, it plays all the time and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I like how it has 0 votes...

My Deadfire mods

I went with Aim'Spirente.

I love these kind of shanties as they're written as they were in the golden age of sailing - simple songs, no clever bull**** and a rhythmic chorus to sing while you work. So many games get it wrong trying to put elaborate poetry into these things and it never works.

Except now we should all be singing Roll The Old Ferris Wheel Along. That's brilliant.  :lol:

• Like 2

You read my post.

You have been eaten by a grue.

From a musical perspective you could certainly "improve" them as songs, for starters by adding some instruments. But as shanties they are fantastic, because as you say, they are something you sing while you work. Not something you sing accompanied by an orchestra and a choir.

I hope y'all noticed the taverns sometimes play the White March tune (The sea beheld her love...) but in a much livelier form. That was another awesome move.

And lastly, just for the record, if you check the lyric book in-game you'll see it's spelled Aim'Spirente. I have no idea why the apostrophe, but yeah.

BTW, Deadfire Lines lyrics at https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Deadfire_Lines though I haven't compared. And on a completely unrelated note, the last name of https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Club_of_Refined_and_Prestigious_Gentlemen_Guestbook (Retsim Namotatop) is Mister Potatoman backwards. Caught you.

Edited by omgFIREBALLS
  • Like 3

My Deadfire mods

I voted for THEY'RE ALL AMAZING! because they are, but I have to admit that Roll The Old Berath's Wheel is the one that always gets me singing along.

The mechanic is genius - it adds so much flavour, and gives an added incentive to pay attention to ship management and make sure you feed and water your sailors. (Or booze them, but my Watcher mostly gives them a healthy diet of fish, fruit and water. They sing all the time so I guess they've adjusted.)

• Like 1

I love the shanties as well as the tavern music pieces in this game. I liked the tavern music in PoE1 as well but this is on another level. Great stuff and feels like it's "performed", it's not perfectly played. Love that.

One thing that would be cool for the shanties would be if there were some impromptu instruments joining in at some point or another, like a solo violin or something. Would be fun.

But yes, great work on these things Justin. It's stuff like this that makes the game come alive.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I love the shanties as well as the tavern music pieces in this game. I liked the tavern music in PoE1 as well but this is on another level. Great stuff and feels like it's "performed", it's not perfectly played. Love that.

One thing that would be cool for the shanties would be if there were some impromptu instruments joining in at some point or another, like a solo violin or something. Would be fun.

But yes, great work on these things Justin. It's stuff like this that makes the game come alive.

The tavern music in the first game made me want to self harm. The ridiculously high pitched singer I think in the White March singing some terrible, mournful ballad especially was dreadful. I'm sure the girl who performed it normally sounds wonderful and whoever wrote it has done plenty of great work but I doubt either considers "she something or something in to her heart" as their finest.

When I heard remixes of the same melody for Deadfire though, I had to chuckle. I liked that, it was a nice bit of self referencing.

Anyone else notice that the combat music for boarding a ship is basically "Shipping Up To Boston" by the Dropkick Murphy's? Those less inclined to the style might recognize it from the movie The Departed

I'm pretty much a DKM super fan and I can't say I noticed.

Huh. At 100% morale and I think all but one slot on the Defiant is full... Maybe need one more crew then...? Have to try later.

Shanties don't seem to be triggering for some people, could be a bug. Of course, make sure Shanties aren't turned off in the audio menu too (yes, that's a real thing)