Old City - did i screw myself?

Hope this is in the right place, the point of this is not for spoilers or any plot point. But beware if you haven't been down to the old city yet from the Gullet.

So....

I went down in the cage, i finished the first map, then went south west, finished that map(dont remember its name).

At that point, i can either go north to Old City, or south through the pirate cove, but I'm trying to get out of there now altogether.

From the pirate cove, seems i can't get out without a fight, and in the old city map up north, i haven't explored it all yet but i can't seem to find an exit? I'm not able to handle the mobs down there yet....

So, without any spoilers, where is the exit?

Is the lift gone? If you haven't spend too much time down there, you might still be able to leave with it.

I think the overseer says the lift should stay for 12 hours.

Other than that, you'll probably won't be able to get out without going through the pirates, sadly.

Yes i did rest, so the cage is gone....

Is there any negative impact by going through (literally) the pirates? am i missing out on quests or something that i would have gotten by going there another way?

I might just have to reload an older save before i got down there at this point,....

The pirates were not hostile for me, I could leave without a fight. But I also had the quest 'food for thought' pointing me to Mad Morena in the cove.

same here . I just walked there and then someone stopped me and you get a quest . You can end the dialogue 'Farewell' and walk back to the surface . 

Was kinda dissapointed that the only exit was trough them...Urgh . 

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

I’m not 100% sure because I didn’t use it but I vaguely remember another way out on the northern edge of one of the old city screens.

Did you find the lost adventurer in the top right of the first area with the lift? He talks about getting out via a river or something.

The pirates do aggro pretty easily. I found if you want to get through there without aggroing, there's a boat on the far right. You only need to get one person through to use it, and I managed it with a 4-5 stealth character.

Thanks! found it and got out.

Whoo, stressful area :)

The pirates do aggro pretty easily. I found if you want to get through there without aggroing, there's a boat on the far right. You only need to get one person through to use it, and I managed it with a 4-5 stealth character.

Thanks! found it and got out.

Whoo, stressful area :)

check your pocket just in case!  ;)

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

Yes this is not an uncommon occurrence. There are 3 exits from that map, one to the old city, one to delver's row, and one on a boat that will take you back to queen's birth. However if try to use the lift up to delver's row and you haven't already done certain quests to access that area, then as soon as you transition to the area you will become hostile to the npc's guarding the lift in delver's row. The best way out of here when coming from the old city is to sneak over to the dock, shimmy across, then wander north a bit and unstealth, doing so will trigger an npc conversation that will let you talk to the 'leader' of the area. Once in conversation just 'farewell' out of it and then walk in a roughly eastern direction and use the boat there.

I would definitely like to see this section get cleaned up from the dev's. seems like you start triggering quest points that you never intentionally triggered in the first place just by randomly exploring, it's very annoying and immersion breaking.

I’m not 100% sure because I didn’t use it but I vaguely remember another way out on the northern edge of one of the old city screens.

Did you find the lost adventurer in the top right of the first area with the lift? He talks about getting out via a river or something.

He does.  And he leaves whatever that way is.  But for some reason, it isn't revealed to the player.  

There is also an area in the upper left corner of that last area (not including the pirate caves) that stayed unrevealed, despite a magnifying glass symbol I could see, but not click on (Though I'm used to that at this point.  Quite a few of those are touchy for some reason, and are only clickable from exactly the right spot).

Edited by Voss