Why are half the companions trying to get in my pants?

Everyone is bisexual and sex mad. 

Why

Only the new companions. And they're not bisexual, they're playersexual. Which is way worse. Xoti shows no interest at all in women unless it's a female watcher that's coming on to her.

I didn't even realize this. If so that is annoying, I used to play BGII with my PC race and gender selection based on who WON'T be romanced by my planned core NPC party members. So if I plan to take Anomen for whatever reason I play a male, if I plan to take any of the three female romances I purposely play a female or a specific male race that I know they won't romance. I ended up never really playing human, half-elf or halfling much because of it since everybody romances those three races.

Nah turns out I was wrong. They avoided the player sexual thing by just making most of the party full on bisexual. I guess that's better?

Everyone is bisexual and sex mad. 

Why

Only the new companions. And they're not bisexual, they're playersexual. Which is way worse. Xoti shows no interest at all in women unless it's a female watcher that's coming on to her.

That's not true, she flirts with Maia and could ended up together with her.

In this game all the romanceable companions are bisexual instead of player sexual, they all present interest to both sex when it comes to characters other than the Watcher.

I don't necessarily like the choice, if you ask me Maia should be a lesbian(she even says she prefer woman than man, but man will do if they think with the right head) and Aloth should be a straight.

Edited by jf8350143

All you idiots who demanded in game relationships are the ones to blame for this.

Are you happy now?! I have to suffer this terrible fan fic/romance novel writing because of you.

There's just so much to say about this topic... I quoted this poster though because I just want to say that this is fairly common in games. Very few games involving player romances have great writing. Not even Bioware does it perfectly. The problem is actually resources - regardless of whether the romance is straight or queer - there's only so much work hours you can dedicate to them. So at most you end up with three or four conversations culminating in a kiss/fade to black scene - and maybe a quest which performs the role of a challenge/obstacle in the relationship. "Good" game romances might have more conversations or more than one quest - but then you get games like Skyrim where all you have to do is present an amulet and boom, you're getting married. (They tried, not very successfully if you ask me, to make it make sense with the whole "people of Skyrim are very pragmatic when it comes to relationships" thing... But I don't care how pragmatic you are, people and relationships just don't work that way.)

The other thing I want to say, which has only tangentally to do with the above quote, is that - as I did say - resources are limited. If we wanted to appeal to all players, with characters of individual sexualities (which would necessarily include people of a bisexual orientation), we would have to have so many companion characters that the game would be unnecessarily overwhelmed by them. Which is why they took the short cut of making the characters bi (and they are Bi, not playersexual in this game). And while it might not be common to find a group of five or so bisexual people who are friends/comrades, it's not impossible.

Z72.

• Like 1

Romancing someone early on, only to never have it come up again is odd, and it makes it feel like the  Watcher is going, "Just another notch on my belt baby."

But it does come up again, at least with Aloth. He makes little romance-related comments about places the party visits, the way he talks to the Watcher changes, there are banters with other party members about the relationship - all these things are meant to combat the tendency you mentioned. Plus there's the scene at endgame, of course.

• Like 2

I don't think any of the companions have plenty of content, platonic or not I thought the whole point of having less of them was to flesh them out more. Here I am left hoping that I'm just missing most of it because of bugs.

They are more fleshed out. It's not all "click companion and trigger conversation" like  in POE1. They comment a lot more (or do things) when you visit places or during quests. They change barks depending on disposition. Some have ship only stuff to say. They have auto-dialogues based on disposition with the watcher and companions, although they seems to trigger too fast in many cases which probably cause others to never trigger and some disposition are bugged as well. There are a few adventure-text where they will have opinions. They have banters which aren't all about saying funny things.

The biggest change is really the quests/places commenting though. I don't think I've done a single quests where there was no companion comments and it's not all flavor one liners. For example, Maia intimated the Ruatai ship captain in All Aboard for me without me asking her.

• Like 2

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

I don't think any of the companions have plenty of content, platonic or not I thought the whole point of having less of them was to flesh them out more. Here I am left hoping that I'm just missing most of it because of bugs.

They are more fleshed out. It's not all "click companion and trigger conversation" like  in POE1. They comment a lot more (or do things) when you visit places or during quests. They change barks depending on disposition. Some have ship only stuff to say. They have auto-dialogues based on disposition with the watcher and companions, although they seems to trigger too fast in many cases which probably cause others to never trigger and some disposition are bugged as well. There are a few adventure-text where they will have opinions. They have banters which aren't all about saying funny things.

The biggest change is really the quests/places commenting though. I don't think I've done a single quests where there was no companion comments and it's not all flavor one liners. For example, Maia intimated the Ruatai ship captain in All Aboard for me without me asking her.

Yes I like that they chime in more often but that's the only improvement. Everything else is a step back. At least none of them are quite as pointless or short as Pallegina or the Devil of Caroc in Pillars 1, but none of them even come close to the ones that had good arcs in Pillars 1.

Romancing someone early on, only to never have it come up again is odd, and it makes it feel like the  Watcher is going, "Just another notch on my belt baby."

But it does come up again, at least with Aloth. He makes little romance-related comments about places the party visits, the way he talks to the Watcher changes, there are banters with other party members about the relationship - all these things are meant to combat the tendency you mentioned. Plus there's the scene at endgame, of course.

I am looking forward to seeing this when things get patched. ^_^

• Like 2

Yes I like that they chime in more often but that's the only improvement. Everything else is a step back. At least none of them are quite as pointless or short as Pallegina or the Devil of Caroc in Pillars 1, but none of them even come close to the ones that had good arcs in Pillars 1.

It's a trade-off because the freedom for the writer in PoE 2 isn't anywhere near as high as PoE 1.

In PoE 1, companions tag along because something nice might happen if they tag along so they just do. Unless you ask them to leave or kill them yourself, they will stay until the end. Even WM companions are like that, including Zahua who is all about "My tradition and legacy".

In PoE 2, the companions are actually linked directly to the world and your actions now affect them as much as you affects the other factions. Beside Eder and Aloth, everyone have their own faction and a red flag. They have their own opinions now and you MUST travel with them to let them grow. I'm on my 2nd playthrough now and I actually have to recruit most of the chars early and plan who to bring for a certain faction quest in order to maximize the reputation dialogue and growth. It's something I never bothered in PoE1 and if they are on my "no1care" list, they never leave the stronghold when their quests are done. It's different and give them a real place in the world more than PoE 1 did.

Edited by Zeitzbach
  • Like 1

The whole romance thing seems like the worst part of Deadfire so far to me. It's worse than usual Bioware thing, as those are at least paced. Here, I cant recall many interactions with companions outside being hit on. And it's not like the romance is just an option. It's not like you can avoid gaining companion's romantic interest. It seems like you can either try to sleep with majority of them, or give them the cold shoulder. It's ME3 problem over again. "Guy's we have stuff to do and worry about! Can't you think of anything else than ****ing me?" It's not like there is charisma/beauty stat. I am playing a bloody orlan. According to the lore I am part of a discriminated race. Why in the holy **** Xoti wants to bang me that badly? And it comes back over and over again. 

PoE1 was full or rich and interesting characters. So far companion wise Deadfire is embarassing. For next playthroughs I might go full sidekick, or custom mercenary. I didn't have high hopes for romances, but this is bad. Is there companion content outside 50 shades of embarrassing? 

I can forgive Xoti too because it turns out she's psychotic, I don't expect rational behavior from Eora's version of the Son of Sam killer.

The whole romance thing seems like the worst part of Deadfire so far to me. It's worse than usual Bioware thing, as those are at least paced. Here, I cant recall many interactions with companions outside being hit on. And it's not like the romance is just an option. It's not like you can avoid gaining companion's romantic interest. It seems like you can either try to sleep with majority of them, or give them the cold shoulder. It's ME3 problem over again. "Guy's we have stuff to do and worry about! Can't you think of anything else than ****ing me?" It's not like there is charisma/beauty stat. I am playing a bloody orlan. According to the lore I am part of a discriminated race. Why in the holy **** Xoti wants to bang me that badly? And it comes back over and over again. 

PoE1 was full or rich and interesting characters. So far companion wise Deadfire is embarassing. For next playthroughs I might go full sidekick, or custom mercenary. I didn't have high hopes for romances, but this is bad. Is there companion content outside 50 shades of embarrassing? 

Yes. Serafan, Pallegina, Aloth and Eder all have plenty of nonromantic content. Xoti and Taekhu are pretty thirsty though but you can shut fishboy down without him going on about it. Xoti apparently is a different matter but you can probably avoid that by never flirting with her.

That said I didn't find the POE1 companions all that great outside of Eder and Aloth. (granted I didn't use the WM companions)

They feel as fleshed out as the POE1 companions did honestly.  Granted there's no Durance or Grieving mother but I never did feel they were particularly well done they just talked a lot and said very little.

And people still using playersexual improperly huh? Those buzzwords are really hard to let go.

Edited by Ryz009

That said I didn't find the POE1 companions all that great outside of Eder and Aloth. (granted I didn't use the WM companions)

Yea, this. Durance, Aloth, and Eder were the only characters who had detailed arcs paced over the whole game.

Everybody else was basically like "I have 1 problem. Please fix it." And then they proceed to stop talking to you once it's fixed.

I think people that say this just didn't use the companions they didn't like. Sort of like how G0-T0 was a really interesting character in KOTOR 2 but no one used him because they found him boring, so he never got to talk so they never got to figure out why he wasn't boring. It's possible this is true of Deadfire's companions as well and glitches are just screwing me.

So far of these characters I've only seen two that have something resembling a character arc, and they're basically concluded with minimal effort in a very short period immediately after recruiting them unless you screw around with 60 hours of sidequests before touching the alleged main story at all. Nothing like the long, hard to predict arcs "boring" companions like Kana or Sagani have that depend on basically everything they can see or hear with the Watcher in PIllars 1.

Ryz: The word playersexual isn't even in that post, sorry you were triggered so hard by that one time I used it. I clarified later that I was mistaken and in reality everyone but Edér was bisexual. Which I suppose is very slightly better writing. But I still can't imagine it is the way it is for any reason other than power fantasy.

Edited by The Sharmat
  • Like 3

Coming back to this to add that now I've almost finished the game, only Tekehu tried to get in my pants, but beyond him going on about his past one night stands, nothing has actually happened. Other than that, I have the option to flirt with Serafen and he tells me to wing it. That's it. My watcher must be ugly xD

nvAeseu.png

Coming back to this to add that now I've almost finished the game, only Tekehu tried to get in my pants, but beyond him going on about his past one night stands, nothing has actually happened. Other than that, I have the option to flirt with Serafen and he tells me to wing it. That's it. My watcher must be ugly xD

Will there be any reaction from the other companions if I shoot Tekehu down after that?

Edited by Sotnik
  • Like 1

Will there be any reaction from the other companions if I shoot Tekehu down after that?

Not sure what you're saying xD

nvAeseu.png

Not sure what you're saying xD

If I kill Tekehu, will companions start a dialogue expressing their approval or disapproval? Or change attitude to me? Or leave the party?

Edited by Sotnik

I think people that say this just didn't use the companions they didn't like. Sort of like how G0-T0 was a really interesting character in KOTOR 2 but no one used him because they found him boring, so he never got to talk so they never got to figure out why he wasn't boring. It's possible this is true of Deadfire's companions as well and glitches are just screwing me.

Maia gave me the "postman quest" only after I took 2 small pro-Huana choices (against the Republic, wasn't even a RDC related quest) and she dropped to 0 disposition (she was almost at 2 prior to that). She also doesn't gain/lose disposition with any of the party members despite seeing approval/disapproval flags. 

I suspect some conversation aren't triggering just because some disposition are raising too fast or not at all (my Aloth is stuck at 0).

• Like 1

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

The first conversation I had with Maia involved her watching to climb onto the captains mast. There is no way that wasn't a bug. At least that it what I thought before doing her quest content where it seemed like everyone she has had contact with has either been boned or killed. Hm.

• Like 1

Ryz: The word playersexual isn't even in that post, sorry you were triggered so hard by that one time I used it. I clarified later that I was mistaken and in reality everyone but Edér was bisexual. Which I suppose is very slightly better writing. But I still can't imagine it is the way it is for any reason other than power fantasy.

Yes I'm triggered by people using terms improperly and spewing their uniformed views all over the place that they regurgitated from some other uniformed person. It's extremely tiresome to see that constantly repeated by people who don't even know what they're talking about go on and on about it. That said you did admit you were wrong so thank you for that. That bit wasn't even directed towards you if it was I'd specified you instead of saying people. Cause you can't seriously believe you're the only one using that term on these boards. You have agreed with posts using that term so you know it's not just you.

Like what sense would it make for me to say people in general if I meant you in particular?

As for power fantasy it's a video game. Power fantasy is part of their bread and butter. If an RPG was to be realistic your PC wouldn't have nearly the amount of influence over how the factions win/lose as they do.

Like the bs excuses are so tiresome. You don't like it. That's fine. (General you to make this clear)That doesn't mean it's not immersive or its some extreme outlier in all the other crap that's in the game. Why can't people just say they don't like something and leave it at that? Why all the bs justifications? Like if they had did this with established characters and you're like "that's not how they were before." I'd get it. But they used new characters for a reason.

Regarding the OP I also get the aggravation on NPCs hitting on the PC first. But I really haven't experienced that? Even Xoti despite the clear thirst hasn't openly hit on my character in this play-through so I'm wondering if it's a dialogue trigger.

Edited by Ryz009
  • Like 1

I just don't know then, i've had 3 party members want to come back to the captains quarters almost immediately. I feel like the dialogue must be being initiated too quickly or something. I'd had Maia in my party for all of 5 minutes before she wanted my pole.

I will accept it is bugged dialogue and hope a patch sorts it.

If not, the writing is horribly forced and ham-fisted.

nowt

I just don't know then, i've had 3 party members want to come back to the captains quarters almost immediately. I feel like the dialogue must be being initiated too quickly or something. I'd had Maia in my party for all of 5 minutes before she wanted my pole.

I will accept it is bugged dialogue and hope a patch sorts it.

If not, the writing is horribly forced and ham-fisted.

Yeah both approval and disapproval are triggering waaay to fast. I got aloth to -2 in like 2 conversations which is absurd.

I finally realized why he was at zero all the time though. His stewardship and autonomy were cancelling each other out on my first game -_-.

Edited by Ryz009
  • Like 1