Why are half the companions trying to get in my pants?

Five pages of comments and it appears not one person answered the question of "Why are half the companions trying to get in my pants" with "they're pirates, how better to get your booty?"

I am so disappointed in you Obsidan forums!  SO DISAPPOINTED!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsjLILPXMQ4

now...I'm adding that to 'This the list of things that screw up my life'' ..

So cannot Unsee!  :lol:

• Like 4
I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

Five pages of comments and it appears not one person answered the question of "Why are half the companions trying to get in my pants" with "they're pirates, how better to get your booty?"

I am so disappointed in you Obsidan forums!  SO DISAPPOINTED!

On behalf of forums everywhere, I feel I must apologise. I actually feel personally responsible for this failure, as I did make a comedy post about them literally stealing pants and I love pirates and yet I did not put the two together. I am so disappoint in myself.

• Like 8

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Guest Ontarah

For what it's worth, I mostly approve of flirty companions if the game is going to have romances. I don't like the Bioware model they put in place after DAO which is basically that the player has to make 100% of the moves.

I think some should be flirty and some you should have to make a move on yourself (Aloth in this case) as that is how such things go in RL.

For what it's worth, I mostly approve of flirty companions if the game is going to have romances. I don't like the Bioware model they put in place after DAO which is basically that the player has to make 100% of the moves.

That would have been ok if they flirted first, but here they want to get in your pants straight away skipping all the flirting and sense.

• Like 4

Guest Ontarah

That would have been ok if they flirted first, but here they want to get in your pants straight away skipping all the flirting and sense.

This is almost certainly a bug. This has been stated like 50 times already. People have also reported instances of conversations triggering that make references to other conversations that haven't yet triggered. Aloth is also perpetually stuck at 0 percent approval/disapproval for some people apparently, which prevents his conversations from triggering correctly. The whole companion conversation system appears to be wonky at the moment.

(Though for some characters wanting to jump you immediately would totally be in character. It is for Tekehu).

The whole romance thing seems like the worst part of Deadfire so far to me. It's worse than usual Bioware thing, as those are at least paced. Here, I cant recall many interactions with companions outside being hit on. And it's not like the romance is just an option. It's not like you can avoid gaining companion's romantic interest. It seems like you can either try to sleep with majority of them, or give them the cold shoulder. It's ME3 problem over again. "Guy's we have stuff to do and worry about! Can't you think of anything else than ****ing me?" It's not like there is charisma/beauty stat. I am playing a bloody orlan. According to the lore I am part of a discriminated race. Why in the holy **** Xoti wants to bang me that badly? And it comes back over and over again. 

PoE1 was full or rich and interesting characters. So far companion wise Deadfire is embarassing. For next playthroughs I might go full sidekick, or custom mercenary. I didn't have high hopes for romances, but this is bad. Is there companion content outside 50 shades of embarrassing? 

• Like 3

The whole romance thing seems like the worst part of Deadfire so far to me. It's worse than usual Bioware thing, as those are at least paced. Here, I cant recall many interactions with companions outside being hit on. And it's not like the romance is just an option. It's not like you can avoid gaining companion's romantic interest. It seems like you can either try to sleep with majority of them, or give them the cold shoulder. It's ME3 problem over again. "Guy's we have stuff to do and worry about! Can't you think of anything else than ****ing me?" It's not like there is charisma/beauty stat. I am playing a bloody orlan. According to the lore I am part of a discriminated race. Why in the holy **** Xoti wants to bang me that badly? And it comes back over and over again. 

PoE1 was full or rich and interesting characters. So far companion wise Deadfire is embarassing. For next playthroughs I might go full sidekick, or custom mercenary. I didn't have high hopes for romances, but this is bad. Is there companion content outside 50 shades of embarrassing? 

Yes. Serafan, Pallegina, Aloth and Eder all have plenty of nonromantic content. Xoti and Taekhu are pretty thirsty though but you can shut fishboy down without him going on about it. Xoti apparently is a different matter but you can probably avoid that by never flirting with her.

That said I didn't find the POE1 companions all that great outside of Eder and Aloth. (granted I didn't use the WM companions)

Edited by Ryz009
  • Like 1

Guest Ontarah

That said I didn't find the POE1 companions all that great outside of Eder and Aloth. (granted I didn't use the WM companions)

Yea, this. Durance, Aloth, and Eder were the only characters who had detailed arcs paced over the whole game.

Everybody else was basically like "I have 1 problem. Please fix it." And then they proceed to stop talking to you once it's fixed.

A shame, for Zahua was both hilarious and well-written.

I know but I did WM so late I was pretty done with switching my party around xD

Yea, this. Durance, Aloth, and Eder were the only characters who had detailed arcs paced over the whole game.

Everybody else was basically like "I have 1 problem. Please fix it." And then they proceed to stop talking to you once it's fixed.

Yeah the thing is the companions quests leave a lot to be desired. Either they're constant rest and talk to me abit for more scraps of information quests (Grieving Mother, Durance) or they're fix this one issue and we'll never discuss it again (most everyone else). The POE1 and POE2 companion quests leave much to be desired.

Edited by Ryz009

If only Obsidian would find a way to please everyone. Yeah that's what they tried by making everyone bisexual. But they didn't take into account the people who would dislike that.

Well, they had to choose... They choose right :v

Edited by esyvjrt

Guest Ontarah

If only Obsidian would find a way to please everyone. Yeah that's what they tried by making everyone bisexual. But they didn't take into account the people who would dislike that.

Well, they had to choose... They choose right :v

While I don't really like the "everybody's pansexual" strategy and much prefer the DAI methodology, I have to agree here. I had rather the devs take the "everybody's pan" approach than the game have no romances at all.

Guest Ontarah

But I'm playing a syphilitic wild orlan with mange and fleas and an Intellect of 3 who insists on giving overly long hugs to everyone in the party upon a quest completion.

But I'm playing a syphilitic wild orlan with mange and fleas and an Intellect of 3 who insists on giving overly long hugs to everyone in the party upon a quest completion.

Seriously now.

You have plenty of gold.

You have the power to take every single item from your companions.

You're on a boat.

By the way, if they wanted to please all the players, why is bisexuality not an optional feature?

Edited by Sotnik
  • Like 3

Everyone is bisexual and sex mad. 

Why

Only the new companions. And they're not bisexual, they're playersexual. Which is way worse. Xoti shows no interest at all in women unless it's a female watcher that's coming on to her.

I didn't even realize this. If so that is annoying, I used to play BGII with my PC race and gender selection based on who WON'T be romanced by my planned core NPC party members. So if I plan to take Anomen for whatever reason I play a male, if I plan to take any of the three female romances I purposely play a female or a specific male race that I know they won't romance. I ended up never really playing human, half-elf or halfling much because of it since everybody romances those three races.

I really wish they didn't make everyone bisexual. I feel that sexual orientation is something that is integral to who a character is, and that it shouldn't be the players who decide. 

Characters should be decidedly staight, gay, or bi, but don't make everyone bi. If a player wants to romance Maia and she only likes females, well tough luck. 

Though I'd probably have preferred if they left out the romance. Having a romance only works if the game / story recognizes it. Romancing someone early on, only to never have it come up again is odd, and it makes it feel like the  Watcher is going, "Just another notch on my belt baby."

• Like 5

I can forgive Xoti too because it turns out she's psychotic, I don't expect rational behavior from Eora's version of the Son of Sam killer.

Yes. Serafan, Pallegina, Aloth and Eder all have plenty of nonromantic content. Xoti and Taekhu are pretty thirsty though but you can shut fishboy down without him going on about it. Xoti apparently is a different matter but you can probably avoid that by never flirting with her.

I don't think any of the companions have plenty of content, platonic or not I thought the whole point of having less of them was to flesh them out more. Here I am left hoping that I'm just missing most of it because of bugs.

• Like 2