Why are half the companions trying to get in my pants?

Also let's keep in mind that we are only looking at this game.

You only look at those subsets in which there is a majority of non heterosexual people. You disregard all other subsets. And then you complain how unrealistic that is.

Ummm...

Yes, we of course are only looking at this game because this is a PoE II section of the Obsidian games forum, and it's this particular game's companions the OP has a problem with? Why would we even bring other subsets into this.

What are the chances your Watcher randomly ends up in a group where 5/7 characters are coastal aumaua? Will you find it believable?

What are the chances that a character becomes a watcher? What are the chances not only does he become a watcher but also a watcher with an awakened soul? And yet 100% of the main characters are a watcher with an awakened soul.

What are the chances to win the lottery?

And yet 100% of the winners of the lottery have won the lottery.

And THAT is what you are doing. Of course you would never question how unlikely it is to become a watcher with an awakened soul.

Or how unlikely it is to win the lottery. I'd guess those topics are not interesting enough.

No you want to focus on one topic alone. There may be so many unlikely things be happening in the real world or in all fantasy worlds combined. And of all the unlikely things ever happening, you only focus on this one topic.

And that's what I've been trying to say all along. You disregard everything else. Just so that you can complain about this one thing.

Edited by Fluffle

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

Let's just take the identity politics out of it and say it's weird that of the potential subset of people forced by circumstance to travel with the watcher, almost all of them come from the subset of the general population that want to **** them. That a disproportionate number of the companions are bi is just a side effect.

Also of note is that in 100% of games where this is the case, the writing seems to have gone downhill compared to earlier installments where that was not the case.

Edited by The Sharmat
  • Like 6

You only look at those subsets in which there is a majority of non heterosexual people. You disregard all other subsets. And then you complain how unrealistic that is.

Ummm...

Yes, we of course are only looking at this game because this is a PoE II section of the Obsidian games forum, and it's this particular game's companions the OP has a problem with? Why would we even bring other subsets into this.

That's my very point.

The OP is focusing on one subset only. Namely on that one, of which the statement is true, that the majority of the people are not heterosexual.

And I'm trying to show you that you can make that statement always true. It just depends on how you choose the subset.

If you want to make the statement true that THE majority of a group of people is not heterosexual, then you will only look at groups of people of which the majority is not heterosexual.

The OP chose that specific subset for that very reason to make that statement true. And then be able to complain about it.

Edited by Fluffle

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

What are the chances your Watcher randomly ends up in a group where 5/7 characters are coastal aumaua? Will you find it believable?

What are the chances that a character becomes a watcher? What are the chances not only does he become a watcher but also a watcher with an awakened soul? And yet 100% of the main characters are a watcher with an awakened soul.

Because that is the main plot hook of the game.

No you want to focus on one topic alone.

I can also focus on how unlikely it was to have three Awakened people at once in our party in the first game, or how unlikely it was that we run into Aloth of all people on that particular island where we happened to crash, if you like. But that is not what this particular topic is about, and I don't see why we should discuss how unlikely all of these other things are here.

Ummm...

That's my very point.

The OP is focusing on one subset only. Namely on that one, of which the statement is true, that the majority of the people are not heterosexual.

And you know OP that well to be sure this is his only gripe with the game?

• Like 1

Only Takehu has made a pass at my character so far. OFC my rogue instantly threw himself at him, so maybe that's why the others leave him alone? xD

Edited to add: I'm a bit confused as to the problem with characters being "bi". Unless they state this in dialogue, the fact you can date them with both genders wouldn't automatically make them bi. Storywise only one version of reality exists, so they could be gay, straight or bi depending upon what character you are playing. Just the fact they are able to romance a different gender in a different scenario won't make them inherently bi in every universe, just as the Watcher isn't always the same. *shrug* Having said that, idk if the ones that are bi all make that clear from their ingame statements. I know Takehu does and there's an implication that Aloth dated a guy, but that's all I've seen.

Edited by Slotharingia
  • Like 1

nvAeseu.png

Aramintai, I imagine having a female perspective shoved into your head when you're a guy probably doesn't exactly make the IDEA of sexual relationships all that appealing.

As to DA:O, I liked the fact that they weren't "player-sexual" but rather had their own preferences. This is just like the real world, people have their specific preferences. It's not about being "hung up about gender". It's about what they like.

Though in regards to Xoti, she seemed more interested in Eder than my character. She didn't even look at me.

In my case, after Eder rebuffed Xoti, she immediately turned her sights on me without any prompting at all. Then there's Tekehu, who tries to proposition you within seconds of meeting him.

• Like 2

One of the best feeling in this game is friendzoning Xoti though.

"WATCHER! I have this weird feeling for you"

"Like, as a friend?"

"NO WATCHER, LIKE.."

"Sorry, not interested."

Aw poor Xoti!  ;(

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

"Like, as a friend?"

"NO WATCHER, LIKE.."

"Sorry, not interested."

Gaun't touch this.

Am I trying to too hard?

• Like 6

"Like, as a friend?"

"NO WATCHER, LIKE.."

"Sorry, not interested."

Gaun't touch this.

Am I trying to too hard?

Her smile and enthusiasm... Gaun.

• Like 3

Aramintai, I imagine having a female perspective shoved into your head when you're a guy probably doesn't exactly make the IDEA of sexual relationships all that appealing.

As to DA:O, I liked the fact that they weren't "player-sexual" but rather had their own preferences. This is just like the real world, people have their specific preferences. It's not about being "hung up about gender". It's about what they like.

Though in regards to Xoti, she seemed more interested in Eder than my character. She didn't even look at me.

In my case, after Eder rebuffed Xoti, she immediately turned her sights on me without any prompting at all. Then there's Tekehu, who tries to proposition you within seconds of meeting him.

Tekehu is "I'm pretty, you're pretty, lets bang" with everyone. If you bring him to the Wild Mare, you learn he tried to kiss the owner without his consent once while drunk...

As for Xoti, she is lonely and horny...the first thing she does is trying to catch Edér. She switch to your character if you tell Edér to turn her down and/or goes for Maia (or Maia goes for her, I'm not sure who start it).

Deadfire is a big soap opera, really.

• Like 1

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

All you idiots who demanded in game relationships are the ones to blame for this.

Are you happy now?! I have to suffer this terrible fan fic/romance novel writing because of you.

• Like 8

nowt

I wouldn't mind dropping the soap for Serafen. Wink wink.

All you idiots who demanded in game relationships are the ones to blame for this.

Are you happy now?! I have to suffer this terrible fan fic/romance novel writing because of you.

It's not D:OS2 level of terrible so I am happy.

Bisexual or not, it's also weird that literally everyone is attracted to the Watcher regardless of sex, looks, or personality.  I mean, you could make an Orlan woman who's rational and benevolent, or a Godlike man who's aggressive and cruel, yet the same exact people would be attracted to you.  That's just lazy.

• Like 10

Oh come on, i'm sure some fanfics are better than this  :w00t:

Bisexual or not, it's also weird that literally everyone is attracted to the Watcher regardless of sex, looks, or personality.  I mean, you could make an Orlan woman who's rational and benevolent, or a Godlike man who's aggressive and cruel, yet the same exact people would be attracted to you.  That's just lazy.

Lack of chemistry really is terrible.

• Like 2

Lack of chemistry really is terrible.

That's what happens when you replace scientifically legitimate chemistry with mystical mumbo-jumbo alchemy!

• Like 1

tsk..dunno why everyone look down on fanfic . I read some that were worth any book . 

and yeah..I'm happy !  :yes:

• Like 1
I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

Romance in PC CRPG is crap shocker. They should have stuck to their guns and told the partisan minority to keep writing their own fanfiction. I know there's a very passionate little group of players that like the romances but being vocal doesn't make you a majority.

They're terrible, they've always been terrible. It's not the writers fault, either, it's just that real romance doesn't happen in the space of five to ten scripted multiple choice conversations. You're never going to get real depth and feeling in that format, you're only ever going to get tacky cheese. That's exactly the argument Josh and Co used to exclude them in the first game and they were dead right to do it.

Should have stuck to their guns. That said, they're easy to ignore I suppose so if it makes people happy then so be it. But don't complain when you finally do get romance but it's not quite good enough.

• Like 2

The chance of Romance in cRPG working is very slim anyway because if the romance is possible, then they have to either

1) Increase the amount of budget for the sequel because all the romantic partner will have to be present and can't be killed without causing a rage quit.

2) Decrease the amount of possible choices and make people salty they can't sleep with the best guy

3) Start the sequel with a completely new char with different time line

So yeah, it's going to suck by default because the budget demands it.

Romance in PC CRPG is crap shocker. They should have stuck to their guns and told the partisan minority to keep writing their own fanfiction. I know there's a very passionate little group of players that like the romances but being vocal doesn't make you a majority.

They're terrible, they've always been terrible. It's not the writers fault, either, it's just that real romance doesn't happen in the space of five to ten scripted multiple choice conversations. You're never going to get real depth and feeling in that format, you're only ever going to get tacky cheese. That's exactly the argument Josh and Co used to exclude them in the first game and they were dead right to do it.

Should have stuck to their guns. That said, they're easy to ignore I suppose so if it makes people happy then so be it. But don't complain when you finally do get romance but it's not quite good enough.

I don't know, some of the companion interactions in both Pillars games have been very emotional and heartwarming.  It's just that the romance parts seem to be forcibly inserted as if it's a simple on/off option during the conversation rather than developing organically.

• Like 3

Tekehu is "I'm pretty, you're pretty, lets bang" with everyone. If you bring him to the Wild Mare, you learn he tried to kiss the owner without his consent once while drunk...

As for Xoti, she is lonely and horny...the first thing she does is trying to catch Edér. She switch to your character if you tell Edér to turn her down and/or goes for Maia (or Maia goes for her, I'm not sure who start it).

So when I didn't tell Edér not to talk to her at all and try to accept their differences, I shut down her romance with me? Seems a little sillly...

What's with the Xoti and Maia thing, though? Can anyone give a brief description? Using both, but hitting on Maia so I won't see it.

Oh, by the way, I like how you expect sparks to fly between Pallegina and Maia, like in a hostile way, but they get along pretty well other than a bit of light jabbing due to being on opposite sides. Nice to have two characters respect each anothers professionalism.

Edited by Yenkaz
  • Like 2

Except romance can be quite endearing when done right. You don't need multiple entries, or sequels, to create meaningful romance. Some of my favorite romances come from dragon age origins. 

It's just here, the devs didn't have the talent to make good romance. In which case, they should have instead not opted for romance. 

• Like 1