Why are half the companions trying to get in my pants?

As for the OP half the companions? Tek and Xoti aren't half the companions so :rolleyes: Yes they both hit on the PC pretty aggressively. You can also turn them down immediately and keep it moving. I'm not sure about Maia but Aloth doesn't bring up romance unless you bring it up first in my experience.

Maia brought it up in the very first automatic dialogue with me which happened within an hour since I recruited her. So yea, Xoti, Tekehu, Maia - that's most of the romanceable companions that try to get in our pants right off the bat.

Edited by Aramintai
  • Like 3

Ah, yes. There is nothing I love seeing more in my fantasy games then reflections of reality. Well, except for the magic. And dragons. And sexy talking swords. I mean, those are all fine, but I definitely draw the line at bisexuals. Like, a society thats not hung up on gender? Well, that just is taking things too far. 

I see this tired old argument is very popular with you guys :rolleyes: . I'll humor you once more - sexual relationships are relateable to the real world and people can't help by draw parallels and conclude that a dense congregation of LGBTs in a small group is not normal (and don't go with "LGBT circles attract" theory again, it's still not normal for a lot of people). Nobody can relate truly magical and fantastical stuff you mention to anything in the real world, so it doesn't break anybody's suspense of disbelief when we play or read fantasy, because we just accept it as imagined fiction. But you can't simply make people erase the real world parallels from their minds, so don't act so baffled when they won't treat "everyone is LGBT in this world" as acceptable imaginary fantasy. And, btw, it's not a norm even in the game, at least in some regions - when Xoti talks to the Watcher about Maia you can ask her why does she want her if in Readceras it's a norm only to form couples that provide offspring.

And, in any case, it's sad that you're defending this lazy writing, because devs didn't make it just to please LGBTs, they did it because they were lazy to write companions more nuanced in their preferences.

Edited by Aramintai
  • Like 13

Ah, yes. There is nothing I love seeing more in my fantasy games then reflections of reality. Well, except for the magic. And dragons. And sexy talking swords. I mean, those are all fine, but I definitely draw the line at bisexuals. Like, a society thats not hung up on gender? Well, that just is taking things too far. 

I see this tired old argument is very popular with you guys :rolleyes: . I'll humor you once more - sexual relationships are relateable to the real world and people can't help by draw parallels and conclude that a dense congregation of LGBTs in a small group is not normal (and don't go with "LGBT circles attract" theory again, it's still not normal for a lot of people). Nobody can relate truly magical and fantastical stuff you mention to anything in the real world, so it doesn't break anybody's suspense of disbelief when we play or read fantasy, because we just accept it as imagined fiction. But you can't simply make people erase the real world parallels from their minds, so they won't treat "everyone is LGBT in this world" as acceptable imaginary fantasy.

Honey, sweetheart, I didn't say LGBT circles attract (although they do). I said a lot of my friends and acquaintances were not straight cuz Queer people are not as rare as you seem to believe. Maybe if you weren't so obviously uncomfortable by bisexuals, more people would be willing to come out to you. 

But really, this is the same tired argument you always hear from racists, sexists, and homophobes. "This FANTASY world is based on medieval Europe so why is there so many black people? Its ~unrealistic~", or "I can accept dragons but its ~unrealistic~ for there to be female warriors", and so on and so on (even though POC's and women were a lot more abundant throughout history then those ppl believe). The issue isn't that it has a real world parallel, but that some people are in denial about their own bias. God. How many times have dudes excused Red Sanja's outfit on the basis on "its fantasy", but when it comes to the gays suddenly we gotta be "realistic".

Everyone has a different line for how far they can suspend their disbelieves when it comes to fantasy settings. You should look deep within yourself and ask why you chose to end yours at bisexual people.       

• Like 3

But really, this is the same tired argument you always hear from racists, sexists, and homophobes. "This FANTASY world is based on medieval Europe so why is there so many black people? Its ~unrealistic~", or "I can accept dragons but its ~unrealistic~ for there to be female warriors", and so on and so on (even though POC's and women were a lot more abundant throughout history then those ppl believe). The issue isn't that it has a real world parallel, but that some people are in denial about their own bias. God. How many times have dudes excused Red Sanja's outfit on the basis on "its fantasy", but when it comes to the gays suddenly we gotta be "realistic".

Everyone has a different line for how far they can suspend their disbelieves when it comes to fantasy settings. You should look deep within yourself and ask why you chose to end yours at bisexual people.       

Groan worthy, "honey"  :rolleyes: But I'm glad at least somebody is satisfied with how companions are written here.

• Like 5

Aramintai, I imagine having a female perspective shoved into your head when you're a guy probably doesn't exactly make the IDEA of sexual relationships all that appealing.

As to DA:O, I liked the fact that they weren't "player-sexual" but rather had their own preferences. This is just like the real world, people have their specific preferences. It's not about being "hung up about gender". It's about what they like.

Though in regards to Xoti, she seemed more interested in Eder than my character. She didn't even look at me.

• Like 1

As for the OP half the companions? Tek and Xoti aren't half the companions so :rolleyes: Yes they both hit on the PC pretty aggressively. You can also turn them down immediately and keep it moving. I'm not sure about Maia but Aloth doesn't bring up romance unless you bring it up first in my experience.

Maia brought it up in the very first automatic dialogue with me which happened within an hour since I recruited her. So yea, Xoti, Tekehu, Maia - that's most of the romanceable companions that try to get in our pants right off the bat.

Half the roman-cables =/= half the companions.

That said I'll give you most of the romances. Thankfully Maia's probably a bug and will get fixed.

Edit: And once again these companions aren't playersexual. People need to stop clinging to their buzzwords that they clearly don't understand. This is in general mind.

Playersexual, pandering, personality-less, so forth if you don't know what a word actually means stop using it. You make yourself look like an idiot.

Edited by Ryz009
  • Like 2

Aramintai, I imagine having a female perspective shoved into your head when you're a guy probably doesn't exactly make the IDEA of sexual relationships all that appealing.

I'm a female, so nobody shoving anything new into my head. But I guess it's pointless to disagree with LGBT's world view, all arguments end with me being conveniently accused a homophobe.

• Like 12

2aabqi.jpg

nopants.png

Those are cute! Where can I find D: (well the two on the sides. The middle one is a bit of a mess honestly)

There's a clothes vendor in Queen's Berth, I think. He sells all three of those.

• Like 2

Everyone is bisexual and sex mad. 

Why

Only the new companions. And they're not bisexual, they're playersexual. Which is way worse. Xoti shows no interest at all in women unless it's a female watcher that's coming on to her.
She can end up dating Maia.
  • Like 1

Why

Only the new companions. And they're not bisexual, they're playersexual. Which is way worse. Xoti shows no interest at all in women unless it's a female watcher that's coming on to her.

I stand corrected, she's just thirsty as ****.

Still hate the "IT'S FANTASY" argument. Just because I like fantasy worlds doesn't mean I like juvenile power fantasy like "everyone wants to **** you because you're big hero man".

• Like 2

Why

And Serafen seems to be continuing Hiravias' proud tradition of hitting on birds:

WG493D6.jpg

• Like 12

Are you familiar with the political term "gerrymandering"?

This is what some of you are doing. You see a group of people. The majority of them is heterosexual. The minority is not.
And what you do is to divide these people into subsets, so that there are more subsets with a majority of non-heterosexual people.
And then you claim that THE majority is not heterosexual.

In this concrete context, you simply dismiss all the characters in the game outside of the party.
Five out of seven companions are bisexual. That is THE majority. The majority of what?
You are dismissing all the other people in the game just so you can make that statement.

Also you are showing that you have no knowledge of statistics at all. If let's say 5% of a population were gay that does not mean
that whichever random group of people you pick out of that population, that no more than 5% of people of that chosen group can be gay.
That is not how statistics work.

Edited by Fluffle
  • Like 2

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

Five out of seven companions are bisexual. That is THE majority. The majority of what?

You are dismissing all the other people in the game just so you can make that statement.

No, they are not dismissing all the other people in the game. What they find difficult to believe is that you could randomly end up in a group where 5 out of 7 people would be bisexual. That just seems extremely unlikely is all (though I guess it's still better than 5 playersexual characters, which they are not).

• Like 2

As an example.

You have a set of 100 people. 95 of them are hetero. 5 of them are gay.
You pick a group of 5 people out of those 100 with the condition that only gay people are in that group.

Then you regard that group. Well 100% of that group are gay! That is THE majority! How can that be?!
Even though only 5% of the population were gay!

• Like 1

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

Then you regard that group. Well 100% of that group are gay! That is THE majority! How can that be?!

*sigh*

Nobody says those 5% are THE majority. They are still a minority overall. What people are saying is it isn't very believable that all of these 5% would suddenly end up in your group (unless you were picking them by that specific criteria). It isn't totally impossible, sure. Just quite improbable.

Let's leave gay out of it for a second. Say, there is some minor number of coastal aumaua in the Dyrwood in the first game, ~1% of the population. What are the chances your Watcher randomly ends up in a group where 5/7 characters are coastal aumaua? Will you find it believable?

Edited by Yria
  • Like 5

Also let's keep in mind that we are only looking at this game.

Look at all the video games ever made that feature companions. Do you think THE majority of ALL companions of ALL video games ever made are gay or not gay?

You only look at those subsets in which there is a majority of non heterosexual people. You disregard all other subsets. And then you complain how unrealistic that is.

There may be a few other games where the majority of companions is not hetero. But I'd wager all in all, games where the majority of the companions are not hetero - are the minority in fact.

But of course you only want to focus on the games where the majority of the companions is not hetero only so that you can complain about it.

Wait, what? Xoti and Maia? Not gonna let Maia get all unprofessional with me in my second game then, I have to see that. I can't imagine what they have in common other than passion.

Edited by Yenkaz
  • Like 2