This game is so badly balanced in terms of classes abilities that its impossible to balance POTD. Literally every class has something so stupidly OP that it allows it to solo 3 skulls dungeons on POTD. I would nerf every single ability in this game so their impact is low to moderate in terms of performance.

All classes I have played so far:

Cipher

- why can I stack full focus on cipher ascendent in 1 shot which allows me to spam +3 power level strong abilities from the beginning of fight? I dont even have to go thro reload animation. Amplified wave crits for 100dmg in huge aoe as well as CCing enmies and can be spammed so fast that enemies cannot get back to feet

- why I have spammable -5 armor debuff so early in this game, while other abilities on different classes that reduce only 3 armor points are 8 or 9th level of power? Dragons are joke

- why can I have +300% action speed while reducing all enemies action speed by half all in 1 ability that can be cast at the start of combat? 300% action speed puts my spells on 0.3 sec cast time and 0.7sec recovery time. Is this a joke?

Chanter

- why can I summon highest level summons I have access to at the start of each combat? Why can I summon 2 powerfull dragons so early in this game that can aoe 1shot most enemies and if they survive put super strong dot on them? Remove empower from summon skills pls

- why can I have +100% permanent healing aura that when combined with fighter 50% healing from dmg received makes me immortal? I can cast it 7 times and for total 160+ sec of immortality

- why can I cast super strong buff at the beginning of fight that gives me +1 resource every 3 sec? Combined with above, it can make me immortal FOREVER

Paladin

- why can I have so much armor on 1 character when we have this kind of system where armor can reduce ALL dmg by 75% instead of flat reduction like POE? Large shield modal allows me to receive only 12.5% dmg and synergises well with stoic steel passive

- why can I get extra 21 deflection from 1 passive so early? srsly?

- why lay of hand can be casted 12 times per encounter for 120 sec of immortality (yes, it makes you immortal now) or 18 times with empower.

- what if I refill my zeal with genius inspiration? Can I die somehow?

Monk

- why can I get immune to melee dmg so early in this game? Dance of death + blade tunning + high int = immunity to melee dmg as soon as power lvl 3 and it also reflects FULL DMG back with 100% accuracy

- shatter pillar - can you delete this subclass pls?

- why level 9 abilities are joke? 1500 dmg with 100% accuracy or AOE + untargetability that can be spammed forever untill your enemies die?

- why can he have + 80% dmg from turning wheel and lightning strikes that can be active all the time? Its broken when multiclassing.

to mod - STOP DELETING MY TOPICS AND POSTS. I am not breaking any rules. I am allowed to talk about balance of classes and abilities!

• Like 3

Presentation, my dear nemesis205bw, presentation. 

I understand you're frustrated because you feel the game is imbalanced and classes are too powerful but rather than your post coming across as constructive criticism to try and improve the game it comes across as a rant where you ask questions that you don't really want answers to and you provide absolutely no feedback other than "nerf please." 

The developer has already stated that they're working on balancing the difficulty of the game for those players that wish to have a greater challenge, providing constructive feedback on how you might accomplish that would be far better received than the format you've chosen. 

Also, it's a single player game, providing blanket nerfs to classes and abilities is going to diminish the feeling that some players enjoy where they feel like extremely powerful heroes in the story that's being told. Far better to balance the difficulty stages of the game so that those seeking a more punishing game experience can do so while those seeking to be gods among mortals can do so in the easier difficulty settings. 

• Like 17

I literally just pointed out all the things I would like to see changed. There is so many ways to achieve this. This game feels unfinished and rushed.

The easiest changes would be:

cipher

make Ascended consume focus so you cant spam top tier abilities for 30sec. +3 power level is enough of bonus and you will be able to cast 3-4 skills while ascended.

chanter

increase cost of high level summons so you can start combat with only 3 power level less summons

paladin

remove immortality from lay of hands

fighter

make unbending reduce dmg by half instead of healing for half. Change its upgrade so it never reaches 75% reduction

monk

make shatter pillar no longer recover wounds by ability dmg. Only basic attacks should count. Set max limit to 10 to compensate

idk how these went thro if they are so easy to change.

Edited by nemesis205bw
  • Like 2

It was nice way of saying it considering how dissapointing this game is in terms of abilities design. Few stupid abilities just ruin the game and fun. Also my point was they will never balance POTD if you can make yourself immortal no matter the enemy dmg. Even if they gave enemies +50 accuracy and defenses bonuses, encounters would just last 20x longer. 

Edited by nemesis205bw

I understand you're frustrated because you feel the game is imbalanced and classes are too powerful but rather than your post coming across as constructive criticism to try and improve the game it comes across as a rant where you ask questions that you don't really want answers to and you provide absolutely no feedback other than "nerf please." 

The developer has already stated that they're working on balancing the difficulty of the game for those players that wish to have a greater challenge, providing constructive feedback on how you might accomplish that would be far better received than the format you've chosen. 

Also, it's a single player game, providing blanket nerfs to classes and abilities is going to diminish the feeling that some players enjoy where they feel like extremely powerful heroes in the story that's being told. Far better to balance the difficulty stages of the game so that those seeking a more punishing game experience can do so while those seeking to be gods among mortals can do so in the easier difficulty settings. 

Yes, speaking as one of the people who is not bothered by challenge, particularly, and is rather enjoying Ascendant Cipher, I'd rather see them balance it by making the PotD encounters much harder (better tactics, more combined arms) for you guys, rather than drastically nerfing things for everyone. Buff the encounters, not nerf the characters. (To an extent.)

(I mean, if I'm DMing - which is sort of what they're doing - and the PCs find a new new death mechanic, I nick it and use it right back. So, I dunno, give the monsters a few Ascendant Ciphers right back. And when you PotD guys manage to break that, then use that knowledge back again to give the mosnters counters and so on. It's always gonna a bit iterative to do it right, as opposed to just buffing hit points and stats.)

(Also, yes, I'm still a bit sore they nerfed Mind Blaes and Amplifoed Wave in PoE 1...)

Edited by Aotrs Commander
  • Like 5

Yes, speaking as one of the people who is not bothered by challenge, particularly, and is rather enjoying Ascendant Cipher, I'd rather see them balance it by making the PotD encounters much harder (better tactics, more combined arms) for you guys, rather than drastically nerfing things for everyone. Buff the encounters, not nerf the characters. (To an extent.)

(I mean, if I'm DMing - which is sort of what they're doing - and the PCs find a new new death mechanic, I nick it and use it right back. So, I dunno, give the monsters a few Ascendant Ciphers right back. And when you PotD guys manage to break that, then use that knowledge back again to give the mosnters counters and so on. It's always gonna a bit iterative to do it right, as opposed to just buffing hit points and stats.)

(Also, yes, I'm still a bit sore they nerfed Mind Blaes and Amplifoed Wave in PoE 1...)

You have a very strange mind! None of your logic makes any sense to me.

Set your own rules until they rebalance PoTD or add another difficulty.

For example, I don't use food, combat consumables, or empower to keep it interesting. Two of my companions are junkies right now so I can pass skill/attribute checks with their respective drugs. Because I don't give an eff how other people are playing, I'm enjoying the hell out of the game as is(level 14 average on party); when they release the difficulty adjustments down the line, awesome. I'll be playing again for the expansions, anyway.

Balancing will be a B-tier priority at best until the bugs are fixed. "Unplayable" is a bit hyperbolic.

Edited by Makagulfazel
  • Like 1

So basically don't play wizard or beckoner, and don't use lvl 19 abilities of anything. 

Edited by Dongom

So basically don't play wizard or beckoner, and don't use lvl 19 abilities of anything. 

Or literally don't play the game, as in decide it's "unplayable"? I'll choose the former option of setting limits for myself if it is drool enough.

They will most definitely nerf Faith and Conviction + Deep Faith.  They did it in POE 1 and they will now.  It is easier to have a REALLY good ability and tune it down than the other way around.  Same with all the Cipher issues.  They did it to BOTH of these classes in POE 1 and they will do so again.  Pre 3.0 in Pillars 1 you could stack a Paladins defense SKY HIGH with Per and Resolve adding deflection AND how much bonus you had from Faith and Conviction and he/she would not get touched.  Also Ciphers had very cheap focus costs for abilities and could spam to kingdom come AOEing everything down.  This was tuned down and balanced.  Did you start playing late in the last game?  If so than I can tell you that the game was fairly balanced after 3.0 but it took quite a bit of work.  The same will happen here.  Its a big game with a lot going on it will take a bit.  Much longer than a development cycle, so for now enjoy the story and kicking some butt.

• Like 1

Have gun will travel.

I think it is reasonable to change the topic name. At the moment it looks like spam.

Monk

- why can I get immune to melee dmg so early in this game? Dance of death + blade tunning + high int = immunity to melee dmg as soon as power lvl 3 and it also reflects FULL DMG back with 100% accuracy

Nice point. I had the same thoughts. I think the ability should have a reduced duration and it should redirect attacks to OTHER enemies, therefore it should be useless vs a single enemy. Reduced duration would turn it into an active blocking which is quite interesting: I predict a hit in 1,5 seconds and prepare Blade turning instead of blindly spamming it for immortality. Increasing the cost to 3 is also an option.

Edited by Sotnik

I can only comment on ciphers as that what I explored so far but it looks like the most sensible thing to do is grant 2 charges or 1 even for every cipher ability level spell in that ascended state so you don't end up firing off like 12x amp wave or whatever in those 30 sec. in itself that subclass also mainly becomes broken with the time parasite spell and not in itself when compared to the ridiculous things other classes can do. like 1 empowered high level ability out of stealth, instant high level summons  etc. 

Edited by 1TTFFSSE

But here I think he's referring to the Shieldbearer addition to lay on hands that functions the same way as Barring Death's Door -- prevents death for a short period.

What's funny about that is I've never heard anyone ever say that ability is overpowered. I remember a lot of people saying it was possibly the least desirable of all the paladin subclass abilities. I'm playing a Shieldbearer/Chanter, and it isn't even in the top 10 of my most powerful abilities.

Edited by Amentep
Edited out deleted post
  • Like 1

But here I think he's referring to the Shieldbearer addition to lay on hands that functions the same way as Barring Death's Door -- prevents death for a short period.

What's funny about that is I've never heard anyone ever say that ability is overpowered. I remember a lot of people saying it was possibly the least desirable of all the paladin subclass abilities. I'm playing a Shieldbearer/Chanter, and it isn't even in the top 10 of my most powerful abilities.

Playing a Shieldbearer as well and while its nice it is only 5 or so seconds depending on INT.  If a squishy is getting focused it just buys you time to get something done and fast, if not they are toast anyway.  Also maybe I am just terrible but if you wait to long/do not notice that someone is very low and they are getting focused and you have just finished another ability the recover time if you are wearing heavy armor (likely for a Paladin) is HUGE..literally takes forever and a half to cast.  If you jump on it and notice it early its no big deal and you will land it but its far from immortal. Edited by Amentep
Edited out Deleted posts
  • Like 1

Have gun will travel.

This game is so badly balanced in terms of classes abilities that its impossible to balance POTD. Literally every class has something so stupidly OP that it allows it to solo 3 skulls dungeons on POTD. I would nerf every single ability in this game so their impact is low to moderate in terms of performance.

All classes I have played so far:

Cipher

- why can I stack full focus on cipher ascendent in 1 shot which allows me to spam +3 power level strong abilities from the beginning of fight? I dont even have to go thro reload animation. Amplified wave crits for 100dmg in huge aoe as well as CCing enmies and can be spammed so fast that enemies cannot get back to feet

- why I have spammable -5 armor debuff so early in this game, while other abilities on different classes that reduce only 3 armor points are 8 or 9th level of power? Dragons are joke

- why can I have +300% action speed while reducing all enemies action speed by half all in 1 ability that can be cast at the start of combat? 300% action speed puts my spells on 0.3 sec cast time and 0.7sec recovery time. Is this a joke?

Chanter

- why can I summon highest level summons I have access to at the start of each combat? Why can I summon 2 powerfull dragons so early in this game that can aoe 1shot most enemies and if they survive put super strong dot on them? Remove empower from summon skills pls

- why can I have +100% permanent healing aura that when combined with fighter 50% healing from dmg received makes me immortal? I can cast it 7 times and for total 160+ sec of immortality

- why can I cast super strong buff at the beginning of fight that gives me +1 resource every 3 sec? Combined with above, it can make me immortal FOREVER

Paladin

- why can I have so much armor on 1 character when we have this kind of system where armor can reduce ALL dmg by 75% instead of flat reduction like POE? Large shield modal allows me to receive only 12.5% dmg and synergises well with stoic steel passive

- why can I get extra 21 deflection from 1 passive so early? srsly?

- why lay of hand can be casted 12 times per encounter for 120 sec of immortality (yes, it makes you immortal now) or 18 times with empower.

- what if I refill my zeal with genius inspiration? Can I die somehow?

Monk

- shatter pillar - can you delete this subclass pls?

- why level 9 abilities are joke? 1500 dmg with 100% accuracy or AOE + untargetability that can be spammed forever untill your enemies die?

- why can he have + 80% dmg from turning wheel and lightning strikes that can be active all the time? Its broken when multiclassing.

to mod - STOP DELETING MY TOPICS AND POSTS. I am not breaking any rules. I am allowed to talk about balance of classes and abilities!

Agree most of your comments.

Cipher is one of the most gimped classes early on so it actually needs a rebalance rather than a plain nerf. It does get broken at higher PLs.

As for the full list of brokenly OP stuff, your list is not even remotely close to complete :D.

• Like 2

The problem is that they have openly said POTD is not currently balanced. They decided to focus their attention on fixing Bugs first. So a lot of the complaints don't hold as much weight. Once they've balanced POTD, then your views might have some weight.

Oh, and it's not "unplayable", POTD just needs balancing (which they are well aware of).

And when they do the balancing work on POTD, they'll likely tweak and revise a number of abilities. After all, players are wonderful at finding ways to take two innocent abilities and turn them into an OP Broken Slaughterhouse of a combo.
  • Like 1

Agreed. Make the POTD Content harder rather than nerf classes.

Yeah the problem isn’t with classes having overpowered talents the problem is POTD is currently broken and level scaling doesn’t work.

Hopefully fixed ASAP because the game in it’s current state is unplayable for those who have played pillars 1 because they are kind of veterans at this

Pain in the but

Even after 3.0, the original game is trivially easy by act 3. Even without min-maxxing. Just like this game now.

At this point it's just a hallmark of the series (and even the genre, considering I remember the same being true in Baldur's Gate 2/Arcanum/Icewind Dale) that we're much more powerful than the enemies and if we want it to be difficult we need to set self-restrictions.

Irritating, but easy enough to do. My favourite self-restriction is only using a rotating subset of my party for each encounter - allows all the high-level toys and can still throw the whole party at difficulty spikes.

I'm much more bothered by bugs like the companion-related ones, because you can't work around those without cheating.

Edited by Luagha

First, you do realize no one is forcing you to min-max right? Problem: The builds are stupidly powerful. Solution: Don't use them. When you take a problem-solution approach to things, you end up being more constructive and less bitchy.

I wasnt min-maxing. I just picked cipher as my watcher and recruited paladin...

--How are you starting a fight with full focus? That sounds like a bug.

I already told how. dual wield pistols and use just 1 attack to refill full focus because of draining whip giving 150%

--Because other classes don't have to build up resource?

you mean 1 basic attack?

--Time parasite gives a 50% buff. Don't make **** up.

Did you ever use this ability? It gives +50% action speed PER ENEMY HIT. How can you argue like that without ever using abilities I am bringing up?

--By "so early" you mean at level 19 when the cap is 20. Definately trolling. Also you only get 2 dragons if you take the subclass, which makes them weaker.

NO. Its level 10. You have access to big drake that can hit fireballs for 100dmg in aoe that also apply dot ticking for 30+. oh and its unlimited casts

--Immortal?  Just because you have a regen doesn't mean your immortal. I've seen Eder die plenty and on lower difficulties too

Again, you have no idea about this game! Paladin subclass allows lay of hand to cause immortality while this effect holds!

Edited by Amentep
Edited out personal commentary
  • Like 2

I, for one, am glad they allowed us to have fun this time with all these crazy abilities and OP multiclass combos instead of the boring over-balanced mechanics of the first game. It reminds me of how broken you could be in BG2.

I do agree that PotD should be made harder if only to avoid threads like this in the future.