No Endless Paths style Dungeon in POE 2?

I found Endless Paths to be dull. I liked the idea and story behind it, but it was filled with the same trash mob which you would be fighting outside. Very few unique encounters there. Deadfire on the other hand is filled with unique content and dungeons. I wouldn’t mind something more meaty, but at least i will remember those. Endless paths are for the most part on autopilot until the couple intersting encounters. To little content spread across to many levels. Kickstarter promise curse.

Still, I hope that the 2nd expansion + some rebalances will bring some combat joy into the game.

I found Endless Paths to be dull. I liked the idea and story behind it, but it was filled with the same trash mob which you would be fighting outside. Very few unique encounters there. Deadfire on the other hand is filled with unique content and dungeons. I wouldn’t mind something more meaty, but at least i will remember those. Endless paths are for the most part on autopilot until the couple intersting encounters. To little content spread across to many levels. Kickstarter promise curse.

Still, I hope that the 2nd expansion + some rebalances will bring some combat joy into the game.

True, all Deadfire dungeons are quite small, but pretty unique.

I felt like endless paths was hinted at as being a sort of spiritual successor to watcher's keep, but the end result was basically just increasingly difficult trash mobs and caves almost completely lacking in personality. In watcher's keep, each level was a completely different setting from the previous with its own cast of characters and unique puzzles to solve. Deadfire delivers a little more of that, just in small bits scattered around the islands as opposed to a single dungeon/tower.

I do think the Berkana's Folly quest was a missed opportunity, though. If you're going to send me off to an island to explore a wizard's tower, it needs to consist of more than a ground floor and a roof.

Edited by Purudaya
  • Like 2

Some concepts and stories of the Endles Paths were interesting and fun. But it was overdone, imho; several levels were just filler, or one small nice idea that was maybe great for one or two rooms had to power a complete dungeon level and failed at that. Sure, environmental storytelling is a thing, but if the Endless Paths are anything to go by, then Obsidian still has a lot of levelling up to do in that department.

I for one think that the Endless Paths were a nice Kickstarter idea that didn't scale very well. Shrink it by half, and you get a tight but varied dungeon.

Edited by Varana
  • Like 1

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

I absolitely loved Endless Paths! It was varied in both combat and maps, there was an overarching plot of follow a previous doomed expedition, somethign trying to wrest Caed Nua from you, and especially the mini story that each level had for itself. It was the closest any modern dungeon has come to Durlag's Tower, which I hold as the best dungeon ever designed for a computer game.

I have been thinking even more on the subject when playing today. Deadfire clearly goes for different kind of content for its main game - sprawling world, with unique encounters to find, locations to discover. Little to no classic “decent into hell” dungeons. It’s fine, and I think it serves the game well. Maybe bigger dungeon might fit in, but I think pacing of Deadfire is great. Spending too much time in one location is not what game is about.

However, I don’t think Deadfire pulls the sprawling exotic adventure either. One issue is difficulty - playing on Veteran and I feel no danger or thrill of excitement. I am confident I can defeat anything I encounter, and I even faced epic monsters with a shrug. That is a thing which hopefully will be fixed in the future.

Another element is that there are very few monsters we haven’t fought yet. Running into Lagufaeth isn’t too exciting after fighting the in PoE1. Naga are the new addition, but they die just the same - if they have abilities that make them unique, than difficulty isn’t balanced enough to let them shine. This fantastical Deadfire with its unique monsters has been very familiar so far.

Edited by Wormerine
  • Like 1

I think my favourite encounter... even though I saw it a mile off is in the Old City when you pick up the sabre and all the undead rise up and attack. However you fight ther exact same enemies throughout the rest of that area.

What do you guys think is the best encounter over both games?

I would say Raedric and his cronies. 

nowt

I think my favourite encounter... even though I saw it a mile off is in the Old City when you pick up the sabre and all the undead rise up and attack. However you fight ther exact same enemies throughout the rest of that area.

What do you guys think is the best encounter over both games?

I would say Raedric and his cronies. 

It would be between this one and Concelhaut + Cragholdt Bluffs for me.  Although really, all of White March was packed full of really great set piece encounters.

The Endless Paths being a product of the Kickstarter process made it non-optimal in my mind. While the overall idea was good in principle, it should have been developed more organically without the arbitrary constraints imposed by the Social Media counters and so forth.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

dunno..not everyone was a fan of that one . 

I enjoyed it for a few levels but man it was so long.  Was too long for me, sometimes I would do part of it then come back to finish it to break it up.

it wasn't long enough....imagine Diablo 1 kinda of long...you be running away screaming  :lol:

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

Didn't they add islands to fluvanos journey in stead of floors to the endless paths in this one?

Then that would be considered the spiritual successor to the endless paths, correct?

Yup, specifically

https://fig-images.imgix.net/https%3A%2F%2Fd3pylr1apgoxnh.cloudfront.net%2Fcampaign_body_images%2Fimages%2F875e66ad29140ec0704d57732579c816a729de29%2Foriginal.jpg%3F1487975427?ixlib=rails-2.1.3&w=570&fit=min&auto=format%2Ccompress&s=4354efe31afd6a8c5d06f5be71d86db9

They said during the campaign that the process of doing the Giant Dungeon just got exhausting and prohibitive and for a lot of reasons it's both easier and better to make 2-3 well crafted narrative medium length dungeons rather than one GIANT dungeon that will end up filled with padding.

I enjoyed it for a few levels but man it was so long.  Was too long for me, sometimes I would do part of it then come back to finish it to break it up.

it wasn't long enough....imagine Diablo 1 kinda of long...you be running away screaming  :lol:

lol.  I just get tired of being kinda locked in a certain area for a long time but it was fine.  It was what it was.  I was glad it was in there for the people who really love that kind of thing.  I did enjoy it.

• Like 1

lol.  I just get tired of being kinda locked in a certain area for a long time but it was fine.  It was what it was.  I was glad it was in there for the people who really love that kind of thing.  I did enjoy it.

I think it was mean for you to do a few level , then come back again at some time to finish it . As in , do it at your own pace . 

• Like 1
I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

I think it was mean for you to do a few level , then come back again at some time to finish it . As in , do it at your own pace . 

That's what I did for the most part but I still always had to fight the urge to keep fighting down until I got to the end. ;)

That's what I did for the most part but I still always had to fight the urge to keep fighting down until I got to the end. ;)

Tumbling down the stairs..is your boots fault!  :lol:

• Like 1

Elderly Hive Dweller

Haven't played yet, but for those tracking development this was known. I was always on team endless paths. I'd take an even bigger dungeon personally. I just love delving into the depths of the unknown.

• Like 1