No Endless Paths style Dungeon in POE 2?

dunno..not everyone was a fan of that one . 

• Like 1
I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

The dungeon of endless tedium was awful and wrecked the pacing of PoE1, and I'm pretty sure the devs realised that.

• Like 7

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

if they did it like Diablo 1....that would have been so much fun . There were part of the dungeon I liked..but in the end it was a just grinding area (which I don't care for grinding , I have boring MMO for that) . 

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

I'm only 20 hours in and the biggest "dungeon" I"ve come across was 4 levels. I for one loved the Endless Paths. I remember going back to it a few times because I would progress only so far before it told me: "You are too weak, leave now" (aka I would get my arse handed to me).

As much as I love the ocean setting and boat mechanics, I kinda feel like Obsidian treated this like Rocksteady did for the batmobile in Arkham Knight. EVERYTHING revolved around the batmobile. I have a sneaking suspicion that EVERYTHING is revolving around open water and ship management/battles, and less on nice meaningful maps and multi level dungeons.

• Like 2

The dungeon of endless tedium was awful and wrecked the pacing of PoE1, and I'm pretty sure the devs realised that.

No one forces you to do that optional dungeon.  I personally loved it.

This is a game, not a novel or a movie.  Pacing isn't something that I'm concerned about.  Fun is far more important to me.  And a huge dungeon to explore and pillage is a great thing from my perspective.

• Like 1

I'm only 20 hours in and the biggest "dungeon" I"ve come across was 4 levels. I for one loved the Endless Paths. I remember going back to it a few times because I would progress only so far before it told me: "You are too weak, leave now" (aka I would get my arse handed to me).

As much as I love the ocean setting and boat mechanics, I kinda feel like Obsidian treated this like Rocksteady did for the batmobile in Arkham Knight. EVERYTHING revolved around the batmobile. I have a sneaking suspicion that EVERYTHING is revolving around open water and ship management/battles, and less on nice meaningful maps and multi level dungeons.

For what it's worth, remember that the player's ship is his stronghold.  And there were plenty of people who wanted a more involved stronghold for PoE2.  I was NOT one of them.  I was happy with a low maintenance stronghold, and find this new stronghold as ship to be entirely too tedious.

As for the Endless Paths, I agree and did the very same thing.  Heck, I expect that most people did the exact same thing.  About the only way to really be able to handle the EP without stopping and coming back would probably have been to wait until your character was closer to the end of PoE1 and was strong enough to handle the final levels.  of course, if you were able to do that, then the early levels of the dungeon would have been ridiculously easy.  It really wasn't a dungeon meant to be completed in a single, top to bottom visit.

• Like 2

as long as it's endless for real...cose the old dungeon..wasn't so endless... :getlost:

Elderly Hive Dweller

as long as it's endless for real...cose the old dungeon..wasn't so endless... :getlost:

Oh come on, don't you miss the 'levels' that are basically a landing between staircases?

I miss Diablo ! Now that you could call it endless !  :yes:

Elderly Hive Dweller

For what it's worth, remember that the player's ship is his stronghold.  And there were plenty of people who wanted a more involved stronghold for PoE2.  I was NOT one of them.  I was happy with a low maintenance stronghold, and find this new stronghold as ship to be entirely too tedious.

As for the Endless Paths, I agree and did the very same thing.  Heck, I expect that most people did the exact same thing.  About the only way to really be able to handle the EP without stopping and coming back would probably have been to wait until your character was closer to the end of PoE1 and was strong enough to handle the final levels.  of course, if you were able to do that, then the early levels of the dungeon would have been ridiculously easy.  It really wasn't a dungeon meant to be completed in a single, top to bottom visit.

I'm fine with the ship being the stronghold this time, although I never had issue with Caed Nua in the first game. I loved upgrading it and doing the bounties. I also loved the patch that came later that let us send them out on missions. The only thing I didn't care for was having to race back home to defend it. That was annoying.

Owning the ship and being the captain has a fun sense of entitlement to it, just like being the owner of Caed Nua gave me the same feeling. One made you feel like a Lord, the other, like a Captain. I just wish there was more to "unlock" for the ship. 15 hours in I bought the captain's quarters and pet farm. Other than purchasing new cannons, etc, I felt there was more sense of upgrade progression with Caed Nua.

• Like 1

They were only endless for every other party that didn't succeed in that dungeon!  Or maybe it even ended for them as well ... in death.

• Like 1

Thanks this is a nice discussion. I think the Endless paths was intentionally long. However, the build-up and mood really sets in when delve deeper and deeper to unravel the mystery of who the Master Below is. I really appreciated this narrative and its depth. I think POE so far seems to be focused on wider content in terms of world exploration but lacks the depth of dungeon like the endless paths. 

I am not a big fan of dungeon delving but I really liked Endless Path because it was purely optional and it was essentially the only massive dungeon in the game. The dungeon had multiple plots to keep the delving interesting and varied types of encounters. I personally loved it, and again, I say that as someone who is not a big fan of deep dungeon dives. 

I really hope something similar is added to this game at some point, provided it maintains the narrative elements of the Endless Path, and is not just a pure loot grind for cool stuff. 

Edited by PatrioticChief
  • Like 1

Just casting my vote. I like combat and i like endless path in first PoE. Also multiclassing doesn't seems right to me. It was supposed to be a selling point but i find it too limited and restrictive. The fun i had in first PoE is totally gone.

I did like Endless Paths, especially the mini-story that was held within it. The big problem for me was how it was so stop-start for me, that the difficulty progressed so I had to jump out, level up and then come back to progress it. Broke it up for me a bit too much.

I'd like to see a dedicated end game dungeon, one that starts at Level 15 ish and powers through to having over-levelled enemies. Od Nua you could do the first half under Level 10 which disappointed me for what was supposedly endgame.

• Like 1

You read my post.

You have been eaten by a grue.

I really enjoyed endless paths. I do miss not having anything like it in Pillars 2. As for start stop I liked fact it started and stopped had multiple story lines running so it had natural break points for me. 

Having massive end of game version of endless paths does sound interesting idea too.

Only issue I really had with Pillars 1 was DLC spoilt levelling. do it at the end then not really got enough to do for soulbound stuff and if do it in the middle then spoilt level progression.

As for DLC I actually enjoyed the DLC no complaints about it just way it was thought out with level progression/soulbound items.

As for DLCs in 2 hope one might be like endless paths. Also hope that if smaller then white marsh we get white marsh size DLC in future.

I loved Endless Paths, too. But Deadfire seems to have gone the opposite direction, with no real dungeons at all. Very disappointing after the great dungeons in Pillars 1.

I wish someone would make a cRPG like Icewind Dale again, where it was 90% dungeon crawl and the story was told through the dungeons themselves.