A Man of Chimes quest, how do I save Giacolo?

What are the answers needed to prevent Captain Tatzatl from killing Giacolo and ending up fighting the godlike pirates? I've tried what seem like the correct answers but nope.

Unless there really is no good ending here and it's all a sadistic game on Captain Tatzatls part.

If you want to save Giacolo and fight the pirates, well having priest's withdraw ability gives you dialog option that makes 100% sure he stays alive. If you want to not fight them at all, tell them its good thing for mother to end their child's life short so they don't suffer in long term, tell them you wouldn't intervene to ensure right thing happens(the cruel disposition option) I forgot what I chose for research options when I tested this but it was the "middle" one between making sure nobody gets access to it and everyone gets access to it and tell them you wouldn't kill someone to prevent bad thing happening. That did work when I tested if any of them work(though I reloaded and chose to fight them anyway)

Edited by BrokenMask
  • Like 3

What are the answers needed to prevent Captain Tatzatl from killing Giacolo and ending up fighting the godlike pirates? I've tried what seem like the correct answers but nope.

Unless there really is no good ending here and it's all a sadistic game on Captain Tatzatls part.

Really fast CC should work as well. Dominate was just a touch too slow, but at least i forced him to kill one of his murder buddies.

It wasn't sadistic, exactly, but it was largely philosophical drivel so he could blame someone else for what he wanted to do.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Wanted to do this without getting cruelty, but didn't have any fast enough CC abilities. It turns out that if you sprint forward after they go red, you can take a few steps to get just close enough to throw a stun bomb which is just barely fast enough to stop the captain's first attack.

The only way I could do this without Giacolo dying was if I immediately attacked (and cast Withdraw on him asap) instead of going through all the dialogue first. Pallegina makes a fuss afterwards but she quickly gets over it since her pal lives. 

I gave Eder the Boots of Leap (found in Fort Deadlight), had him leap in between the mooks and Giacolo, and kept the other ones busy with Binding Web. Then I also lined my crew up in between him and them. If one of the others gets free, they'll kill him, so you have to keep all of them away. Use Eder's knockdown and stun abilities also.

Edited by Celan

How I did it was, I had Eder Charge towards the nearest enemy to Giacolo (might have been Tatzatl himself, I'm not sure), which draws all the others' attention towards him. That buys me just enough time for Xoti to cast Withdraw on Giacolo, Aloth to pull them even further away with Pull of Eora, block the way to Giacolo with a Wall of Force, and then proceed with the fight from there.

Took a few tries, as I was probably under-leveled, but eventually I managed it with Pallegina using the Bounding Boots to body-block, after which she read a Scroll of Withdrawal. 

Edited by Enoch

the results are not set in stone. I basically answered the questions however I wanted and they ended up with "we will free giacolo, but destroy his research"

And then I talked him into both freeing Giacolo AND giving me the research.

Edit: Also pretty sure if you wanted to save Giacolo, all you really need to do is answer one question correctly. The one about someone doing lots of great things, but potentially do lots of small harm to others.

Edited by CAlmond

I managed it after a few reloads by having Maia snipe him before he got to Giacolo. May have been a fluke but I downed him in 2 shots using Dragon's Dowry.

Atsura, the intelligent Psychopath of my dreams.  I like my elves grumpy and my godlike fishy!

And my Rekke romancable!