[Companions]Eder vanished from my game after ship combat

SunDD

Question

Within the last 8 hours of gameplay (after checking all of the time stamps on my available saves), Eder just vanished from my party.

I initially swapped him out to play with another companion after completing his companion quest. After many hours of gameplay, I progressed Maia's quest, in which she leaves the party temporarily and becomes 'busy'.

I then noticed that I could no longer recruit Eder. He was also no longer below deck near Aloth, and any reference to him vanished from my Reputation page.

Unless this is a bug, the only possibilities that I can think of is that he possibly died during a Ship Boarding combat sequence (is this even possible?), or that he got annoyed because I killed whales during sea encounters (he is an animal lover). I never got any notice that he ever left, or even died (At least I think not)

Can anyone shed any light on this? I really don't wish to go back to a save file from 8 hours of playtime ago and repeated everything.

17 answers to this question

He probably tried to pet the whale and drowned.

But it might be a possibility that he died during a ship-fight while being outside of your party.

I had Edér die on the very first fight of the game against Benweth and his goons and he was gone forever (didn't wash up alongside me on the beach)

Edited by Juodas Varnas
  • Like 2

He probably tried to pet the whale and drowned.

But it might be a possibility that he died during a ship-fight while being outside of your party.

I had Edér die on the very first fight of the game against Benweth and his goons and he was gone forever (didn't wash up alongside me on the beach)

you are killing me here !  :grin:

to the OP: They can die actually . Check your journal , if his quest is gone..it mean he died . Happen to me last night , during a boarding (Got attacked) the orlan companion keeled over during the battle and his quest was gone for good . 

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

It's an RPG game . You should be saving ALOT . Just in case of wrong decisions made , bug , crash..whatever . 

F5 is quick save . Use it ! 

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

I never received any notice that he died though. The lighted path is in my journal, though I completed it before swapping him out. He was a mainstay since the start.

I think it's lame that companions can die when you don't have control of them. Either give me control, or don't force them in to the fight.

I never received any notice that he died though. The lighted path is in my journal, though I completed it before swapping him out. He was a mainstay since the start.

I think it's lame that companions can die when you don't have control of them. Either give me control, or don't force them in to the fight.

whatta mean you can't control them ? you decide how they fight , how is that not control ? 

hit spacebar to PAUSE during a fight . 

Elderly Hive Dweller

I agree, but I'd be okay with it if it was made clear-- you're far from the first to post on the forums trying to figure out if a companion whose gone is a bug or not, myself included. And we're for the most part the most dedicated fans on the forums. What about newer players? How will that impact their experience? I think companion death consequences need to be made abundantly clear and right now they're not.

whatta mean you can't control them ? you decide how they fight , how is that not control ? 

He was not in my active party when all of this happened. I dismissed him ages ago. I only now noticed that he's vanished. Sorry if that wasn't clear. I'm aware of the wound and permadeath system for companions that are in my party. Does this also apply to companions who aren't recruited into my active party during Ship Combat encounters? Sometimes inactive companions show up in those and are AI controlled.

He vanished while he was not in my active party.

Edited by SunDD

He was not in my active party when all of this happened. I dismissed him ages ago. I only now noticed that he's vanished. Sorry if that wasn't clear. I'm aware of the wound and permadeath system for companions that are in my party. Does this also apply to companions who aren't recruited into my active party during Ship Combat encounters?

So...he wasn't in your active party . 

And when you went to pick him up , he wasn't there anymore ??? 

That's really weird . And he isn't on the ship ? Did you try reloading ? Sometimes that can help if a game hiccup (worked for me in xcom ennemy unknown) . 

Elderly Hive Dweller

I only noticed recently. Fortunately I have a single save from 8 of playtime hours ago where he is still present on the ship and can still be recruited to the active party. On any subsequent save he's simply absent.

Not below deck near Aloth. His portrait is gone from the every character's reputation page. He is no longer in the Companions/Sidekick recruitment/dismissal window.

However, the Lighted Path quest entry is still in my Quest Journal and listed as complete.

I'm just confused as to why he isn't there anymore. I never received any notification of him leave or dying.

I only noticed recently. Fortunately I have a single save from 8 of playtime hours ago where he is still present on the ship and can still be recruited to the active party. On any subsequent save he's simply absent.

Not below deck near Aloth. His portrait is gone from the every character's reputation page. He is no longer in the Companions/Sidekick recruitment/dismissal window.

However, the Lighted Path quest entry is still in my Quest Journal and listed as complete.

I'm just confused as to why he isn't there anymore. I never received any notification of him leave or dying.

and how are you playing ? 

Have you done stuff that could make him go away ? 

Cose I think (haven't seen a confirmation anywhere) that maybe they copyed BG2 old system . Meaning if you do evil stuff , some companions will warn you then they will leave for good . Since you didn't have him with you..maybe he just left for good if you done bad stuff . 

check the reputation . 

Other then that , it could be a bug . 

I urge you to save alot , make different save . I myself got gazillions of save beside the auto-save . Cose you never know when stuff like this could happen . 

Elderly Hive Dweller

I'm playing on the difficulty beneath path of the damned (don't remember what it is called. Veteran?) and I'm generally a do-gooder type, or make very utilitarian "greater good" decisions.

I already mentioned earlier in the thread that the only things I can think of are either he died in a ship combat sequence (while out of the party) or a ship encounter when you kill a whale. I did one with him in the party once and got a notification that he's an animal lover and was unhappy about it. I did it again a few times after swapping him out, but got no notification about him disliking it at all. Those are the only two things that I can think of. I never got any notification that he died or left (at least none that I can remember)

I dont want to unnecessarily cry bug; perhaps there's a game mechanic that I am unaware (though I doubt it after being 45 hours in)

I tend to rotate between 10 save slots. I felt that was sufficient and I do save regularly. I just didn't notice he was gone (who would in my position unless they wanted to slot him back in?!)

Edited by SunDD

I'm playing on the difficulty beneath path of the damned (don't remember what it is called. Veteran?) and I'm generally a do-gooder type, or make very utilitarian "greater good" decisions.

I already mentioned earlier in the thread that the only things I can think of are either he died in a ship combat sequence (while out of the party) or a ship encounter when you kill a whale. I did one with him in the party once and got a notification that he's an animal lover and was unhappy about it. I did it again a few times after swapping him out, but got no notification about him disliking it at all. Those are the only two things that I can think of. I never got any notification that he died or left (at least none that I can remember)

I dont want to unnecessarily cry bug; perhaps there's a game mechanic that I am unaware (though I doubt it after being 45 hours in)

I tend to rotate between 10 save slots. I felt that was sufficient and I do save regularly. I just didn't notice he was gone (who would in my position unless they wanted to slot him back in?!)

well..if you can see his quest as finished . Then he is not dead .

when the orlan seraf something died on me during a ship battle , his quest was GONE . LIke you couldn't even see it in the journal anymore . As it never existed to begin with . 

could be a bug , or he left . 

The companions all have circle (Under the character Page window) , look at them . Every companion like and dislike stuff . Eder is a BIG lover of animal and hate anyone who is cruel to them . 

So could be that . But it's hard to say since he wasn't with you and you didn't look up his profile . Every circle fill UP as you do stuff . 

Elderly Hive Dweller

My relationship in the save that he's still present with him is 2. All blue, and no red at all. Even if he did leave due to the whale, I didn't get notified at all.

When your Serafen died, were you notified?

My relationship in the save that he's still present with him is 2. All blue, and no red at all. Even if he did leave due to the whale, I didn't get notified at all.

When your Serafen died, were you notified?

in the combat , well while the fight was going and I saw his quest get deleted . 

then got a Tutorial alert saying that over time damage or something like that , will make companion dead . I had to reload . 

Elderly Hive Dweller

in the combat , well while the fight was going and I saw his quest get deleted . 

then got a Tutorial alert saying that over time damage or something like that , will make companion dead . I had to reload . 

This says to me that they can accrue wounds while outside of the party, and you would have no way of knowing how many... Which is not good at all...

Edited by SunDD

Hello SunDD,

Are you still having this issue? Do you have a save before the issue occurred that we can look into and one afterwards? Let me know!

best,

-Caleb

I reloaded to a prior save when he was still present in my party and finished that playthrough.

I don't know what caused the issue, or exactly when it occurred. I'm afraid that I cannot offer you any insight.

Sorry.

(I didn't mind. I got to play the game more)