Did anyone choose to empower Woedica as their decision in Pillars 1? I'm curious to know what the consequences would be in Deadfire if you did.

As an interesting sidenote, Eothas mentions that Woedica's history of being the former queen of the gods who was deposed is largely a fantasy she invented for herself and that the gods were always equals with no leader among them.

no....

Choose berath . 

well..I choose to 'think of the soul that be trapped' . Then reloaded to see what the other choice was . 

But yeah , I picked berath . Cose she was the less scary XD which kinda funny considering she is all about death and dying lol 

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

As an interesting sidenote, Eothas mentions that Woedica's history of being the former queen of the gods who was deposed is largely a fantasy she invented for herself and that the gods were always equals with no leader among them.

I didn't get to that point in the story yet, but... that strikes me as a retcon more than anything else. Especially since you have more than one party to corroborate the original version during PoE 1.

Oh well...

Edited by Skazz
  • Like 2

I didn't get to that point in the story yet, but... that strikes me as a retcon more than anything else. Especially since you have more than one party to corroborate the original version during PoE 1.

Oh well...

Seems to be a lot of retcons in this game then.

Never liked them myself. Most of the time they just make a mess and make no sense at all.

• Like 7

I'm not sure if they're retcons so much as different stories being told. The entire first game was essentially you discovering that everything anybody knows about the gods is false. 

It really doesn't surprise me that the second game is basically, "everything else that you thought you knew or figured out is also false..." 

It behooves certain parties to support Woedica's claim to the "throne" and it behooves other parties to support that notion that it was all a fabrication. Same goes for The Wheel and whether or not it existed before the gods, was made by the gods or was modified by the gods. 

• Like 7

Oh well...

I don't remember any of the other gods saying that they cast her down which would be the most legit source of information.

Although, the way she act in Deadfire, I can see them telling her to shut up all the time, lol.

Edited by morhilane

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Yea, there's a mountain of retcons towards the ending of the game. It seems Obsidian didn't really know where they wanted the story to go when they created the setting and kind of stumbled their way here.

I love it when people make claims like this and back it up with a pile of nothing.

• Like 1

Oh well...

I don't remember any of the other gods saying that they cast her down which would be the most legit source of information.

Although, the way she act in Deadfire, I can see them telling her to shut up all the time, lol.

Quote from PoE wiki, with citation pointing at Iovara's in-game dialogue (I admittedly don't have the exact screenshot of that though):

"Woedica, like the other gods, was created by Engwith out of the sacrifice of thousands of their souls at Sun in Shadow. Intended to be the strongest of the gods and at the top of their hierarchy, Woedica was simultaneously a patron of justice, oaths, and promises, and conversely, an entity willing to disregard the rules if it was necessary to accomplish her goals. She could do what she wanted with Eora at the apex of her power, which is why the other gods conspired to vanquish her, bringing the Queen on even footing with the rest of them."

• Like 5

Oh well...

Quote from PoE wiki, with citation pointing at Iovara's in-game dialogue (I admittedly don't have the exact screenshot of that though):

"Woedica, like the other gods, was created by Engwith out of the sacrifice of thousands of their souls at Sun in Shadow. Intended to be the strongest of the gods and at the top of their hierarchy, Woedica was simultaneously a patron of justice, oaths, and promises, and conversely, an entity willing to disregard the rules if it was necessary to accomplish her goals. She could do what she wanted with Eora at the apex of her power, which is why the other gods conspired to vanquish her, bringing the Queen on even footing with the rest of them."

Iovara is not one of the gods and she was born after they were created...

• Like 3

Oh well...

Iovara is not one of the gods and she was born after they were created...

Well, sure. With that in mind, you're free to point me to a source from the first game that would contradict the above explanation.

Edited by Skazz

If she wasn't depowered at some point, why was Thaos collecting souls to feed to her? Did she tell him her lie about being deposed and he bought it?

Because she could be empowered by souls even if she hadn't been depowered before. Thaos just prefers Woedica to be in charge because she is willing to cheat the system for his ends.

So he decided to mess around with the system his civilization killed itself to put in place? Just because he thought he could do it better? And waited 2000 years to do it?

I'm not really buying it.

It's not about messing with the system - quite the opposite, actually. Someone made a great point on this in a different thread, but as I can't find it right now, I'll try to sum it up to the best of my ability.

Consider this: Thaos is one of the architects of the entire system, and the one Engwithan explicitly charged to remain behind as the system's eternal administrator. Seeing how the pantheon was designed with many checks and balances that would help hide the great secret forever, it is very likely that Woedica (who, as the game states many times, is the only goddess to ignore the rules the gods play by) has always been meant as something of an emergency override button. A failsafe, if you will.

Hell, for all we know, this doesn't even have to be the first time he had to push that button. The man is ancient, after all.

Edited by Skazz
  • Like 4

He needed to delegitimize the growing animancy movement in the Dyrwood anyway so he just decided to kill to birds with one stone. Use their machines to steal souls, blame it on animancy and then give the souls to Woedica. Also you had the recent Saint's War where Eothas almost revealed the Engwithan secrets to the world at large which would have been a clear message to Thaos that the old system wasn't working any more and someone needed to be able to reign in the other gods when they overstepped their boundaries.

• Like 6

And her altar was dark in Teir Evron because she was playing dead? Trying to gain sympathy? I suppose that sort of makes sense.

All these theories sound good. In the end, it still smells of a retcon that wasn't thought through very well, but I'll take fan theories over no explanation at all.

All these theories sound good. In the end, it still smells of a retcon that wasn't thought through very well, but I'll take fan theories over no explanation at all.

Nah, I agree that it is very likely a retcon. The point I was trying to make was that inserting "one god to bind them all" would certainly have been a very smart (in-universe) move on the part of whomever "programmed" the pantheon.

This sudden revelation that she is merely a delusional granny only makes the Engwithans appear like monkeys mashing stuff randomly on their Create-A-God kits.

Edited by Skazz
  • Like 1

Well, by then her original plan had failed with Thaos being dead so her last option would be to get you to do what Thaos intended to do. A good old "well you have me dead to rights, but if you let me go I'll make it worth your while".

And her altar was dark in Teir Evron because she was playing dead? Trying to gain sympathy? I suppose that sort of makes sense.

We go there to get help from the gods to stop Thaos who is working to empower her so she can rules over said gods. I don't think anyone wanted the drama. Also, there is some bad blood between Magran and Woedica over the Godhammer event (going by their interaction in Deadfire).

I played a little on a character that did and she said nothing about it in the initial convo. Though Berath and Hylia both reacted to me breaking oaths to them. It's possible it comes up later, I really can't see why they wouldn't aknowledge such a major choice in some way.

no....

Choose berath . 

well..I choose to 'think of the soul that be trapped' . Then reloaded to see what the other choice was . 

But yeah , I picked berath . Cose she was the less scary XD which kinda funny considering she is all about death and dying lol 

Prefer Berath anyway. Plus she still gives you her boon even if you didn't promise her the souls as long as you do it.

Edited by Ryz009