is this game solid or I better wait?

The bugs aren’t the problem it’s the game difficulty.

Currently it is almost impossible to die on the hardest difficulty POTD.

I find it hilarious when people say this.  Does no one leave crit path?  Does no one explore?  I found a three eoten fight when I was level 5, I had only one exceptional weapon, and most of my armor was "fine" level, trust me, I didn't win.

Also OP, all these difficulty complainers are specifically saying the hardest difficulty setting in the game needs to be  harder.  Something the lead Dev admitted before the game was even released.  It is a non issue, if you care about playing on the hardest setting (most people dont), wait at least until that gets patched which will probably be soon.

It’s ridiculous that people are complaining about the level scaling option not working?

It works, just not as well as it should.  Also there is a huge difference between "this game is a cake walk and wayyy to easy" and "level scaling doesn't work".  Anyone saying you "can't die" in this game is purely full of crap.

Indeed, and PotD as well as solo runs usually cater to a tiny percentage of all players, so it makes sense to give such modes lesser priority.

I love those modes, but I don't cry for that - I'm tying one hand behind my back with stuff like not rerolling companions and sidekicks, etc.

You can make the game very challenging as it stands right now.

It's funny because someone made a poll thread to ask if people actually play PotD and 29% said they do/would/will.

Almost a third of the playerbase, so please get off your ignorant high-horse.

Not to mention all the streamers and stuff that received early access, like Cohhcarnage, instantly started and played on PotD before it was even available. Hell Cohhs Lets Play still be near the top of his list, with PotD in the title(s) if you search on youtube.

But you aren't interested in it so nobody must be amirite??

Edited by whiskiz

I would definitely wait for a few months worth of updates. I myself would really like to know how much of the game's issues in terms of scripting are simply bad writing and how much of it is caused by bugs to be fixed.

The most important step you take in your life is the next one.

I'd like to ask you if this game is:

1 perfectly playable without serious bugs.

2 well balanced. I remember PoE1 too easy when I played it.

Thanks in advance and congrats to obsidian for their success.

1. Played like around 30+ hours, got ctd once, but other than that the game runs quite smoothly performance wise on my potato pc compared to battle***h. that game has serious game breaking bugs, i lost 30 hours of game play. though i believe much of the bugs came from unity engine itself.

2. i believe it's quite balance though i played it on classic difficulty instead :p

but if you are on fence, better wait until the first DLC is released instead. but if y

this is only my own opinion. i suggest you wait.

My own opinion for the OP - SOLID mate!  :yes: POE2 is AWESOME, am incredibly grateful to Obsidian for creating this masterpiece - it has been an absolute dream realised and better than anticipated. Perhaps it is too soon to say it is one of the best games ive ever played, but I really feel like it is.

Fully appreciate your choice of asking for others experiences, to take others opinion before transacting with any business/service/product offering online is wise and lets you make a more informed decision.

Me personally,  I was highly anticipating this game and was waiting for it for a long while. I wanted to replicate the feeling when older games were released when the internet didnt become this massive extravegent jungle of opinions and you just bought a game and gave it a shot on your own. So I didn't look at the forums at all, I know thats a bit self-centered but just wanted to play my first playthrough untarnished.

I'm now about 35 hours into the game, hey honestly, not everything is perfect, there's quite a few imbalances, FPS drops and bugs. I even encountered one bug that prevented me from recruiting a companion (forgot to make a save game to go back), wasnt great but I just moved on and accepted it. These things are natural (and do vary) for any game release - This game honestly has such an incredible and refreshing depth to it - the way I see it the underlying infastructure just needs more time to become a well oiled machine.

I fully appreciate criticism and negative reviews - ultimatley not everything can be positive and criticism drives change, change brings improvements, especially in the gaming world which can thankfully be updated for everyone altogether in one-go via the cloud. We have the privilege of communicating and in turn that of being heard through all these online channels so these improvements come faster and in more abundance.

If you read the above and reciprocate with my opinion, I say give it a go, just get started and let your expectations be your own.

If you want to have your first play-through as a well-oiled machine without any upsets then I say wait a month or two, but just bear in mind we're having all the fun in the Deadfire that you could be having right now too! :p

OK

So to everyone who had disagreed with me saying them game is not broken im going to give you four reasons why it 100% is

Easy difficulty  = absolute joke

hard difficulty    = even bigger joke

veteran difficulty   = frickin laughing stock

POTD                    = The biggest joke the world has ever seen since donald Trump got elected president

The difficulty levels in this game mean nothing and i mean 100% nothing.

There is absolutely no difference between me starting a easy difficulty play through compared to a POTD play-through

Level scaling also is completely broken. like totally broken (admitted by sawyer on twitter)

I wish all you non believers the best in your en-devours. May you beat the game sideways with your level 2 priest/ monk and enjoy yourselves.

Until you see the light and realize you have been completely screwed over until they fix the game, god bless you 

you are truly special souls that deserve what you get.

god bless

OK

So to everyone who had disagreed with me saying them game is not broken im going to give you four reasons why it 100% is

Easy difficulty  = absolute joke

hard difficulty    = even bigger joke

veteran difficulty   = frickin laughing stock

POTD                    = The biggest joke the world has ever seen since donald Trump got elected president

The difficulty levels in this game mean nothing and i mean 100% nothing.

There is absolutely no difference between me starting a easy difficulty play through compared to a POTD play-through

Level scaling also is completely broken. like totally broken (admitted by sawyer on twitter)

I wish all you non believers the best in your en-devours. May you beat the game sideways with your level 2 priest/ monk and enjoy yourselves.

Until you see the light and realize you have been completely screwed over until they fix the game, god bless you 

you are truly special souls that deserve what you get.

god bless

Gosh, someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

• Like 5

The bugs aren’t the problem it’s the game difficulty.

Currently it is almost impossible to die on the hardest difficulty POTD.

I find it hilarious when people say this.  Does no one leave crit path?  Does no one explore?  I found a three eoten fight when I was level 5, I had only one exceptional weapon, and most of my armor was "fine" level, trust me, I didn't win.

Also OP, all these difficulty complainers are specifically saying the hardest difficulty setting in the game needs to be  harder.  Something the lead Dev admitted before the game was even released.  It is a non issue, if you care about playing on the hardest setting (most people dont), wait at least until that gets patched which will probably be soon.

It’s ridiculous that people are complaining about the level scaling option not working?

It works, just not as well as it should.  Also there is a huge difference between "this game is a cake walk and wayyy to easy" and "level scaling doesn't work".  Anyone saying you "can't die" in this game is purely full of crap.

Indeed, and PotD as well as solo runs usually cater to a tiny percentage of all players, so it makes sense to give such modes lesser priority.

I love those modes, but I don't cry for that - I'm tying one hand behind my back with stuff like not rerolling companions and sidekicks, etc.

You can make the game very challenging as it stands right now.

It's funny because someone made a poll thread to ask if people actually play PotD and 29% said they do/would/will.

Almost a third of the playerbase, so please get off your ignorant high-horse.

Not to mention all the streamers and stuff that received early access, like Cohhcarnage, instantly started and played on PotD before it was even available. Hell Cohhs Lets Play still be near the top of his list, with PotD in the title(s) if you search on youtube.

But you aren't interested in it so nobody must be amirite??

However, that poll was conducted in the forums, and is one that people voluntarily chose to respond to.  Thus, it will have two sources of bias -

1) that the preferences of forum participants may not be representative of the PoE2-playing population

and

2) being a self-selected sample, that the poll results can't even be held to be representative of the playerbase active in these forums.

both of which make it difficult to conclude that "almost a third of the playerbase" would play PoTD.

That said, however, the prior comment from Indira is also given without evidence, so I'd say we're back to not really knowing.

Would Obsidian have some way of determining the numbers interested in the various modes e.g. by way of achievements?

• Like 1

A third of the people on the forums that saw and could be bothered to reply to that poll, not the entire playerbase. We don't have any idea of what the actual numbers are. OBS might, if they get that sort of telemetry. (I know Paradox has some idea of the stats for their games, but even then, they're steam only). We don't know - unless anyone does and would like to bring some statistics to the table - for example, how many copies PoE2 has thus far sold/backed verses how many folk posted in that thread.

The truth is that you are going to get a much larger proportion of PotD-players on the forums because a) PotD is not satisfactory yet and b) by their very nature PotD fans are going to be those that are naturally more keen (and thus inclined to care and voice discontent) than the average player. (Heck, all of us that can be arsed to post stuff on the forums are). So it is more than likely that, out of the number of responders to that polls, the numbers are disproportional to the overall number of players.

How much? I have honestly not idea. It might be a lot lower. It might be a lot higher (though that seems less likely). But let's not assume that is an entirely reliable figure, given there is a fair amount of selection bias.

All we know is that OBS is working on the problem and they'll get to it. After all, making the hardest difficulty actually hard (not just lazy-hard with increased monster stats, like the tedium of Heart of Winter in IWD2 (I got bored after the first part and gave up)) is going to require more thought - and honestly, the extra eyes of the mechanics optimisers that will see things that the Devs won't - to get balanced right. I wouldn't think it is even reasonably possible without a good couple of iterative goes at it.

Edited by Aotrs Commander
  • Like 3

The problem is not about PotD, is about balance in all the difficulty settings.

I don't like PotD becasue it should be of extreme difficulty and I don't want to play 10 times the same battle in order to succeed on it.

I played once PoE on hard difficulty (because hard must mean challenging) 2 days after its release, and I found only 4-5 challenging battles in all the entire game. The rest was extremely easy. I finished the game without the necessity of using the majority of spells or buff potions/meals because I didn't need them.

I remember old IE games where you appreciated when one member of your party raised one level (amazing sensation) or you find a new better weapon, and you played incredible challenging battles. In PoE I didn't feel that. Anyway PoE was great because of the setting, the art, music, the plot, etc. A wonderful experience.

I'm reading the guidebook of PoE2 and I love it, but I'll wait some months to see PoE2 balanced and importing savedgames working properly.

Thank you very much for your answers.

• Like 1

A third of the people on the forums that saw and could be bothered to reply to that poll, not the entire playerbase. We don't have any idea of what the actual numbers are. OBS might, if they get that sort of telemetry. (I know Paradox has some idea of the stats for their games, but even then, they're steam only). We don't know - unless anyone does and would like to bring some statistics to the table - for example, how many copies PoE2 has thus far sold/backed verses how many folk posted in that thread.

The truth is that you are going to get a much larger proportion of PotD-players on the forums because a) PotD is not satisfactory yet and b) by their very nature PotD fans are going to be those that are naturally more keen (and thus inclined to care and voice discontent) than the average player. (Heck, all of us that can be arsed to post stuff on the forums are). So it is more than likely that, out of the number of responders to that polls, the numbers are disproportional to the overall number of players.

How much? I have honestly not idea. It might be a lot lower. It might be a lot higher (though that seems less likely). But let's not assume that is an entirely reliable figure, given there is a fair amount of selection bias.

All we know is that OBS is working on the problem and they'll get to it. After all, making the hardest difficulty actually hard (not just lazy-hard with increased monster stats, like the tedium of Heart of Winter in IWD2 (I got bored after the first part and gave up)) is going to require more thought - and honestly, the extra eyes of the mechanics optimisers that will see things that the Devs won't - to get balanced right. I wouldn't think it is even reasonably possible without a good couple of iterative goes at it.

Obsidian said it is the least played difficulty setting, which I'm assuming is why they threw it down the line in their priorities.

Obsidian has been gathering stats about all sorts of things via telemetry for quite some time now, and PoTD and solo runs are not very popular modes, if we put it that way.

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

The problem is not about PotD, is about balance in all the difficulty settings.

I don't like PotD becasue it should be of extreme difficulty and I don't want to play 10 times the same battle in order to succeed on it.

I played once PoE on hard difficulty (because hard must mean challenging) 2 days after its release, and I found only 4-5 challenging battles in all the entire game. The rest was extremely easy. I finished the game without the necessity of using the majority of spells or buff potions/meals because I didn't need them.

I remember old IE games where you appreciated when one member of your party raised one level (amazing sensation) or you find a new better weapon, and you played incredible challenging battles. In PoE I didn't feel that. Anyway PoE was great because of the setting, the art, music, the plot, etc. A wonderful experience.

I'm reading the guidebook of PoE2 and I love it, but I'll wait some months to see PoE2 balanced and importing savedgames working properly.

Thank you very much for your answers.

Like Kharkarov mentioned above, there's plenty of difficult fights in Deadfire at the moment. You just have to go find them. If the regular fights aren't enough go find some red skull quests and get ready to get your but handed to you.

• Like 1

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

I don't care that much about it myself, but I'm not sure how the lead admitting they didn't bother makes it better.

Especially with all the import, dialogue, relationship and quest stuff that fell through the cracks of the extra month as well.

The answer is "depends," specifically depends on your definition of "serious" bugs.

The game is playable sure. Past that it depends on how you define "serious." The main issue right now is that due to a bug with level scaling the late game is a lot easier than it should be. The early game is pretty solid though. 

It's great but there are too many broken quests, and that's a no-no for this sort of RPG.

When I say 'many' I mean MANY.

If you do everything in the perfect order that was intended, you'll have no issue.

Only, you would be a robot or a transcendental being to manage that.

If you're just a basic human you'll cross 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 [...] broken quests with broken script. 

1 is ok (if you are 'benevolent'), 2 is a bit problematic, beyond that you're just... really trying.

I decided to stop after crossing THAT many broken quest.

And they really revealed themselves to me after 30 hours playtime.

Honestly I think the perfect time to start playing this game would be around september, so that the first DLC is released, and possibly empty of bugs (after 2 months of release).

• Like 1

29% of the people, on this niche forum, of diehard fans of real time with pause isometric rpg's.

I can't imagine that Obsidian doesn't do some data gathering from player data, which means they will have data on how players well played Eternity 1.  If they felt the PotD balancing was critical for say just 20% of the playerbase, I can't imagine them saying "nah bug fixes first we can launch with something 1/5th of our players will hate!"

Just take forum polls, especially those in highly niche forums, with a grain of salt.  That's all I am saying.

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 1

Aside from the difficulty issues, this game seemed solid but this morning my game will no longer load (failed to load next map). Showstopper bug killed the game for me and verifying steam files does nothing. Hopefully they fix it in upcoming patch else I may just move on to another game. I played potd in poe1 from day 1 and it was a decent difficulty level, so I was already a little tuned out from poe2's cakewalk settings. Still I got about 20 hours in and even if that's the last I will play it was still a good game!

Just a few more notes:

--Campfire lumber in poe1 wasn't a perfect mechanic but made resting a difficult choice at times. Resting whenever I feel like it definitely isn't as fun. Endless Paths also helped further cement that attrition idea. It added a macro difficulty beyond just per-combat difficulty. Wherever the game can challenge me adds fun for me!

--1 per rest abilities in poe1 tied into the attrition mechanics as well. Now that most everything is 1 per encounter if I accidentally pull a few enemies from a group and kill them it's twice as much of a benefit as before.

--Honestly without attrition mechanics an Endless Paths style dungeon is pretty pointless so I wouldn't care for one without it. Would feel like cheating.

--Would love to see more rogue-like settings incorporated as optional settings. I don't just want combat to be harder, I want more hard choices at every possible turn!

Just a few more notes:

--Campfire lumber in poe1 wasn't a perfect mechanic but made resting a difficult choice at times. Resting whenever I feel like it definitely isn't as fun. Endless Paths also helped further cement that attrition idea. It added a macro difficulty beyond just per-combat difficulty. Wherever the game can challenge me adds fun for me!

--1 per rest abilities in poe1 tied into the attrition mechanics as well. Now that most everything is 1 per encounter if I accidentally pull a few enemies from a group and kill them it's twice as much of a benefit as before.

--Honestly without attrition mechanics an Endless Paths style dungeon is pretty pointless so I wouldn't care for one without it. Would feel like cheating.

--Would love to see more rogue-like settings incorporated as optional settings. I don't just want combat to be harder, I want more hard choices at every possible turn!

How do attrition mechanics make The Endless Paths less pointless?

Here's what happens when I run out of Health or critical Priest spells in Endless Paths.

- Walk to exit

- Click 'travel to surface'

- Click rest button

- Click Endless Paths entrance

- Click 'travel to level x'

- Walk to where I'd gotten to

- Continue

How would you describe this process, if not pointless?

• Like 2

Here's what happens when I run out of Health or critical Priest spells in Endless Paths.

- Walk to exit

- Click rest button

- Continue

Well, I think you would have to agree it is more of a deterrent than it is now. But I believe I also qualified it by saying that poe1 didn't have a perfect rest mechanic either. Hence also why I mentioned more rogue-like elements.

--Harder to rest

--Health doesn't regenerate after combat without abilities/food.

--Easier perma-death of characters, etc.

--Dialog options and other choice-based elements have deeper consequences

- Walk to exit

- Click rest button

- Continue

Well, I think you would have to agree it is more of a deterrent than it is now. But I believe I also qualified it by saying that poe1 didn't have a perfect rest mechanic either. Hence also why I mentioned more rogue-like elements.

--Harder to rest

--Health doesn't regenerate after combat without abilities/food.

--Easier perma-death of characters, etc.

--Dialog options and other choice-based elements have deeper consequences

My point is, there's nothing 'difficult' about it. Which is what you claimed.

• Like 1

What do you mean? I'm not following your logic. How could it not be more difficult if it is objectively more difficult to rest? I'm sorry, I don't mean this as an insult but you are logically and objectively wrong.

Anyways, this isn't a list of commandments, just some thoughts I had on adding more difficulty for people that wanted it! Signing out for the night.