i didnt play the first game. just a bit. and i liked cipher

so i was thinking on:

1. cipher /rogue - but which subclasses? will it focus on spells or attacks?

i want to do a spell caster and i heard u can deal massive damage, get your focus super high and then cast spells? so ascendant? 

2. chanter? is it really that strong? is it a summoner? i like summoners... but they take a while to ramp up no? and what do i combine it with? does it attack with weapon or spells? is cipher a good option?

maybe just do pure cipher / rogue/ chanter?

also if im getting a npc thats one of those, maybe ill create my char to be something else?

1 last thing - do i get to pick sub class of npcs?

thanks for the help!!

i didnt play the first game. just a bit. and i liked cipher

so i was thinking on:

1. cipher /rogue - but which subclasses? will it focus on spells or attacks?

i want to do a spell caster and i heard u can deal massive damage, get your focus super high and then cast spells? so ascendant? 

2. chanter? is it really that strong? is it a summoner? i like summoners... but they take a while to ramp up no? and what do i combine it with? does it attack with weapon or spells? is cipher a good option?

maybe just do pure cipher / rogue/ chanter?

also if im getting a npc thats one of those, maybe ill create my char to be something else?

1 last thing - do i get to pick sub class of npcs?

thanks for the help!!

What do you want to do?

If you want "pure spellcaster" go single class cipher ascandant. No reason not to. The "massive damage part" though comes a bit later though on single-class that is the trade off you need to hit lvl11. Once you get amplified wave and disintegrate at level 11 it is gg. empowered disintegrate kills bosses, empowered amplified wave wipes the whole screen of mobs.  From there it just gets progressively more op into the high levels. Mutli you can go more dps early I guess with monk combo. There is also no npc with that subclass. go high perception/ dex/ int/ and lastly might and use the fastest or best ranged weapon you can find. It is item dependent in the weapon end. But similar effective "spellcasters" can be made with wizards or druids as well who are less item dependant I guess.  For utility/cc cipher I would also choose acsendant because the extra focus pool from ascendant and ease of getting focus with draining whip currently. 

vs chanters well it is like comparing a "rouge-esque spellcaster" (cipher) with a more tankish frontline spellcaster. chanters have abilities which make them good frontliners because of the range of their abilities. 

With rogue you get greater single target dps and control and less splash aoe. 

and lastly no. 

I want 2 things :)
1 is to figure out the best cipher/rogue options. assassin + what?
it can be focused on spells or sneak attacks or both its fine by me!

2. is to figure out if chanter / cipher is good and how to use it

2 again, to figure out what is the best summoner build that doesnt take forever to summon for every little fight. 

Thank you!