Build Name: The Brutish Knight(Fanatic)

Classes: Berserker/Kind Wayfarer

Descrition: This character is more geared for solo play as any party member that gets too close dies quickly. Roleplay-wise this is the guy that doesnt think much but believes strongly. Think a chaotic good paladin who is at war with his beserker nature. This guy is full to the brim with passion. This guy is basically a tanking barbarian in light armor.

Author: Pharaun159

Difficulty: PoD

Solo: Recommended

Build:

Build is pretty simple, and there is room for personalization. Geared greatsword use

Stats

Might 18-20

Con 8-10

Dex 10-12

Per 16-18

Int 6-10

Res 16-18

These are just rough ranges you should be within. Ideally you want to hit hard and accuratly, and not be hit yourself lol.

Required talents:

Barbarian

Frenzy

Bloodied

Unflinching

One stands alone

Bloodlust

Leap

Paladin

Flames of devotion

Sworn rival

Deep faith

Two handed style (in either class)

Retribution

Divine calling (not sure if thats the right name. Going from memory. Its the one that makes you resist a bunch of afflictions)

Naturally you are gonna wanna take talents that increase your engagement and resist debilitating effects

Gear:

light armor (the lizard skin armor at Delvers row is probably best)

Great sword (whispers if the endless path is best. So save the crate and save $3k right away. You can get this pretty much as soon as you leave port majia)

Gate crasher gauntlets are awesome(sold at queens berth smith)

There is a winged helm for sale at the Crooksure slaver fort that takes 20% of action speed with two handers.

There is a belt for sale in delvers row that grants -10% damage recieved that increases as you lose more health. This belt is pretty much a must have. It also gives a bonus to cobstitution AND gives you a second use if second wind. It will keep you alive.

Rest is a matter of preference.

The rest is pretty much up to you and your prefers style. Basically, you are gonna charge the weakest guys, sworn rival, frenzy, fod to prety much one hit kill. This will activate blo od lust. With winged helm and whispers, you should be hitting every 2-3 sec now. By now you are surrounded. Evey hit is cleaving all foes in front of you. One stands alone is now activated. Let the slaughter commence.

Build update:

So as someone pointed out, while confused from frenzy your FoD will heal enemies. So early levels of the build, you will start combat with frenzy and take out as many as you can. If you hear your character starting to suffer, then use second wind. Then keep fighting. After frenzy wears off, then its sworn enemy and Fod to survive the rest. Make sure you upgrade sworn enemy to sworn rival. This refunds the cost of sworn enemy each time you kill the target. So for long battles you may be reduced to one zeal point left at which point you will just spam it and refund it each time you kill. At level 10 you reach another power level. Here is where you can take the paladin talent that resists confuse and its no longer a problem. From hear on out its basically gear up and slaughter.

Final build update:

So build is a success. Finished the game. Pre ukaizu my stats are as follows

Might- 25

Con-13

Dex-13

Per-22

In-10

Res-23

Defenses static vs buffed:

Ar: 10-12

Penet: 11-13

Def:130-115

Fort:156-161

Ref:140-133

Will:139-139

Total enemies defeated: 1148

Total dam: 284,673.6

Highest single target damage:229.5

Crits: 1698

Damage taken:38,167

Best gear ended up being

Helm of the falcon (20% hits to graz from ranged weapins, and -20% recovery on twohanded weapond)

Protective eothasion charm (1 per, -75% dam when health below 25%)

Gipon prudensco (light armor. +25 def vs disengagement, being hit grants stacking +2 defl and +4 ref till combat ends to a max +20defl and +40 ref, immunity to flanking, grants bravado (fit and steadfast ispirations for 30 sec at combat start))

Ring of the solitary wanderer (+1 res, -30% neg effects when alone)

Chameleons touch (+1 to an attribut and skill based on class... So +1 con +1 might + diplomacy)

Used - Ibris (+4 burn armor, +10 all def against fire attacks) in fight with ancient.

Boots of stone (+1 dex, +2 res, resistance to might afflictions)

Greater cloak of defl (defl +7)

Gatecrashers (+2 might, 50% chance to knockdown on critical hit)

Undying burden (+1 athletics, second wind, incoming dam reduced to a max of 30% depending on health, +2 con)

Used figurines on a few fights. Toughest area was splintered reef. Vamps kept charming. Learned not to use frenzy against them since it lowers your int and makes you vulnerable to charm. Hardest fight of all was Fampyr's crypt. Rest was a cake walk after level 10. Which you hit only 1/3 of the way into the game.

Edited by Pharaun159
  • Like 3

kinda confusing that you call your fanatic the inquisitor while there is an actual inqiuisitor class

I wa thinking myself if retribution is actually worth it - i think it resets the stacks after every weapon attack back to 0; could you check that? At leas tthe way it is worded it seems that way, which means that in reality you will probably not get more than 2 stacks on average before your next attack...so the benefit might be a bit limited.

Edited by Nemesis7884

kinda confusing that you call your fanatic the inquisitor while there is an actual inqiuisitor class

I wa thinking myself if retribution is actually worth it - i think it resets the stacks after every weapon attack back to 0; could you check that? At leas tthe way it is worded it seems that way, which means that in reality you will probably not get more than 2 stacks on average before your next attack...so the benefit might be a bit limited.

Ahh good point. Didnt even realize there already was a class called that. Anyone with ideas on a new name feel free to share them. I only called it that because orginally i built it with a mage slayer and it played alot like the inquisitor paladins from baldurs gate

As to your question about retribution, its on pod you will get mobbed and you kinda want to. Yeah it resets every attack, but not unusual for you to get hit 3-4 between strikes.

Edited by Pharaun159

I wish they can bring to old bg2 inquisitor back, that is one of my favorite bg2 class and one that can complete with multclasses.

But they bring the lame mage slayer back, and.....it sucks again ;)

Amen. 25% spell damage resist... Maybe 45% with gear isnt so bad. Should come with increased reduction to all disables. Petrified, frightened and such. Or atleast drop them one teir and have that ability stack with class passives

is this tanky enough? i feel this build will die to the ending boss easily for the lack of tankness. (potd play at level 15 btw)

So far so good. Im level 10 at the momemt and slaughting all comers on pod solo. You are constantly healing from FoD. Plus you are hitting a bunch of foes at once. On top of that, Whispers of the Endless paths when enchanted properly will counter-attack every time a foe misses you. On top of all that, because of the hig res and paladin abilities your defenses are nearly as high as a pure fighter using a shield. Plus on top of all that, you are gaining armor from frenzy, you can gain more from paladin auras. You could basically have the same armor as full plate while wearing light armor. Also inspired defense grants resitance to what ever damage is currently hitting you. So you are definetly tanky, but it is a "best defense is a good offense" kind of build.

yeah, every mob in potd right now is trash. no encounter can really test a build except the end boss. also make sure you are level 15 at max because scaling for the end boss stops at level 15. if you are over level 15, he becomes too easy. 

yeah, every mob in potd right now is trash. no encounter can really test a build except the end boss. also make sure you are level 15 at max because scaling for the end boss stops at level 15. if you are over level 15, he becomes too easy.

I do everything in the game. Ill likely be level 19-20 by the time i hit the end game lol. All i can say is build working fine everywhere else.

do you know how much damage sworn enemy gives? i tried looking on the tool tip and it says it just gives increased damage to the enemy

It gives u 20% weapon damage bonus. So if your weapon does 18-24 damage, then sworn enemy gives u around +4 damage per hit.

is this tanky enough? i feel this build will die to the ending boss easily for the lack of tankness. (potd play at level 15 btw)

I tested various ways to tank with this build. Heavy armor worked great however, all i got out of the deal was an hour long fight that drained me of all resources an stunlocked me untill i died. I wouldnt go higher then medium. That light armor im using us awesome. Cranks your deflection to the moon. Somewhere east of port maije a super high level ship roams. Not sure if its scripted, but twice now i took it out with one shot at low level. Seems to alwats hit the ships powder and blows it up. But you get the armor.

Ok, just tried out this build. Please remove the solo tag because this build can't solo the last boss at level 15.

Sooo... You think a solo level 15 character should be able do an encounter needs to be capable of handling and level 15 PARTY ENCOUNTER solo? That would mean the game itself is broken. Not that build was viable. Im not sure you understand how balancing works. If you played a solo character to only level 15 you would basically have to do the main quest and nothing else. So i guess you seem to have a weird definition of solo play that requires you to skip 2/3 of the game, skip and quests with helpfull gear so as to not level up, and basically commit suicide... And then complain that you died.... I played solo through the entirety of the game, hit some challenging spots, and beat the game with sufficient challenge at the end game. I think you are forgetting that the level scaling is balanced specifically for party combat.