[quest] 'Sabotage at the Brass Citadel' Can't Be Refused

Andraste

Question

Hi there - I don't know if this quest is just poorly designed or actually bugged, but there appears to be no way for me to complete the quest A Vote of No Confidence and keep Maia in the party. (At least if I side with Director Castol during the attempted coup. Haven't tested it the other way.)

Speaking with Castol after his hearing in order to complete this quest leads to Sabotage at the Brass Citadel being added to my journal even if I tell him he's mad and refuse point blank to blow up the power stores. This soon leads to Maia's leaving conversation, with no option for the Watcher to point out that they didn't agree to the plan and have no intention of blowing anything up. (Well, all right, no intention of blowing THAT thing up.)

Obviously it makes perfect sense for Maia to leave if the Watcher really does agree to do this, so it seems to me that the problem here is that the player doesn't get any opportunity to refuse to progress Sabotage at the Brass Citadel past the point of no return. There is no indication in the journal or the dialogue that completing A Vote of No Confidence irrevocably commits you to the VTC. By contrast, you get a warning that you'll be all-in with the Royal Deadfire Company when The Final Maneuver begins, so this seems like an oversight to me.

At the moment, it seems that my only options are siding with the Vailian Trading Company (which I don't want to do) or leaving A Vote of No Confidence permanently incomplete.

• Like 1

7 answers to this question

I have a very similar problem. I wanted to turn in shadows under Nekataka but instead the dialog for the quest Taking out the Traders started.

I ve gone through with the dialog, but did not agree with the plan, the queen even told me something like "If we cannot gain your trust, we have allreally failed" or something like that. The quest for blowing up the powderhouse gets added anyway, despite me telling the queen that I donnot agree to the plan.

I entered Brass Citadel in order to turn in The Courier´s Calling, Maias dialog about her needing to do that on her own starts, all fine so far, but as soon as I click on "end dialog", she starts complaining about me wanting to go through with blowing up the powderhouse, without voiceover I might add and without any option to defuse the situation.

I am perfectly fine with companions drawing the line when it comes to certain decissions, but, as I said, I did not commit to the queen´s plan and her last lines of dialog reasured me that the game has noticed that.

Her leaving conversation fireing without voiceover and at this awkward timing as descriped above seems like a bug to me, at least I hope this is a bug. Otherwise, the queens lines are just confusing.

Edit Sorry for kind off hijacking this, I did not want to make an extra thread with a very smilar issue as this might be related.

If it helps, here is my save file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/htwyo3yxkex1nbm/Belakhor%20%28QueensBerth%29%20%28da3586ee-d134-4373-9efb-6893f1285982%29%20%28771542562%29.rar?dl=0

Edit 2: Found an older save where I turned in the quest Shadows under Nekataka immidiatly fallowing up with the dialog for Taking out the traders. There is no option to deny the quest or leaving the dialog after turning in Shadows under Nekata. However, choosing option 4 is resulting in an answers which comes closest to denying her request. The game treats it like I want to blow up the powderhouse if entering Brass Citadel with Maia.

fcQsLDI.png

BjsBWJM.png

Edited by Sarakash
  • Like 1

I tested around a bit more and fallowed through. The absurd thing is, during the hearing, I even openly admited to blow it up on the queens order and Maia stays. She isn´t happy, but she won´t leave. I really don´t understand.

Second attempt during the hearing, I fallowed the Queens original plan, but Maia stays, too.

Then I spoke to her without ever visiting the queen. During her dialog, I even choose "Fairly proud. I was hoping for a bigger boom." and she stays. *Welp*

1.0.1.0064 RELEASE V2 GOG.COM

I'm having the same issue as the original poster, when I try to leave the Brass Citadel after fast traveling into it, Maia immediately starts the dialog to leave the party even though I refused to blow the place up.

Edited by Chunkx

I rolled back to an even earlier save and may have found something of interest:

Shadows under Nekataka can be resolved during Act 2. If you turn it in before meeting with Eothas at Magran teeth, you will get the Fruitful Alliance instead of Taking out the Traders.

If you talk to the queen after the hearing, the quest seems to be skipped in favor of the faction allegiance quest.

Hi there - I don't know if this quest is just poorly designed or actually bugged, but there appears to be no way for me to complete the quest A Vote of No Confidence and keep Maia in the party. (At least if I side with Director Castol during the attempted coup. Haven't tested it the other way.)

Speaking with Castol after his hearing in order to complete this quest leads to Sabotage at the Brass Citadel being added to my journal even if I tell him he's mad and refuse point blank to blow up the power stores. This soon leads to Maia's leaving conversation, with no option for the Watcher to point out that they didn't agree to the plan and have no intention of blowing anything up. (Well, all right, no intention of blowing THAT thing up.)

Obviously it makes perfect sense for Maia to leave if the Watcher really does agree to do this, so it seems to me that the problem here is that the player doesn't get any opportunity to refuse to progress Sabotage at the Brass Citadel past the point of no return. There is no indication in the journal or the dialogue that completing A Vote of No Confidence irrevocably commits you to the VTC. By contrast, you get a warning that you'll be all-in with the Royal Deadfire Company when The Final Maneuver begins, so this seems like an oversight to me.

At the moment, it seems that my only options are siding with the Vailian Trading Company (which I don't want to do) or leaving A Vote of No Confidence permanently incomplete.

Did you pick up the quest during Act 2, but turned it in during Act 3 ?

Great posts! I do agree this is questionable quest design, as we aren't given enough warning, and when reading our quest logs, everything seem to be in order.

I might as well add that Pallegina will leave your party under similar quest-confusing circumstances, where you have no option but upsetting her after just one set of steps in two quest unfoldings, which I reported as kind-of-a-bug:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/98826-family-pridesinking-feeling-not-a-bug-per-se-but-it-feels-like-it/?do=findComment&comment=2017070

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I have exactly the same problem.

If I have Maia in my party, I even don't hear what Castol offers when she says she will leave me. In this case I can say she's too dear to me and refuse the quest (not even knowing what all this is about). This will lead to opinion hit with VTC and all their quests failing.

If I don't have her, Castol give me the quest and I cannot decline it even with outright refusal.

Another problem here - I came to complete quest "Of Like Minds", but Castol ignores it and immediately talks about RDC. (The same problem I have with the queen ignoring Fruitful Alliance). Apparently, they broke because of me visiting Magran's Teeth.

My save before talking to Castol in an attempt to hand him the quest.