1. Currently, every point of Resolve above 10 provides -3% hostile effect duration (up to a maximum of -75% at 35 Resolve). There's also a ring which gives -35%. Do these stack additively, i.e. is it possible to reach -100% hostile effect duration? And if so, does this make you immune to all afflictions? I have to admit, the idea of shrugging off Charm and Stun like they were nothing holds a certain appeal to me.

What specifically counts as a hostile effect? Only afflictions or damage over time effects as well? What about things like drug crash penalties, the Berserker's confusion during Frenzy or the Priest's Incarnate debuff?

• 1 month later...

I am going to necro this thread as it's a good question.

Does anyone know if abilities like 'Clarity of Agony' decrease self-inflicted temporary negative effects (e.g. drug crashes or berserker confusion) or does 'hostile' mean it must stem from an enemy?

My guess is that it doesn't and these negative effects are part of the cost of these abilities and cannot be separated or undone, but maybe someone knows with certainty.

The effects should definitely stack, it's only among active abilities (including modals) where stacking doesn't happen. My guess is that the 'hostile' might actually refer to all negative effects actually; compare for example Suppress Affliction, which also says 'hostile' effects. Similar effects use it as well, I think that it's just the generic opposite for 'beneficial'.

It's relatively straightforward to use the console and experiment with it though. If I remember, I'll have a try tonight to see (provided no one beats me to it). 

1. Currently, every point of Resolve above 10 provides -3% hostile effect duration (up to a maximum of -75% at 35 Resolve). There's also a ring which gives -35%. Do these stack additively, i.e. is it possible to reach -100% hostile effect duration? And if so, does this make you immune to all afflictions? I have to admit, the idea of shrugging off Charm and Stun like they were nothing holds a certain appeal to me.
  2. What specifically counts as a hostile effect? Only afflictions or damage over time effects as well? What about things like drug crash penalties, the Berserker's confusion during Frenzy or the Priest's Incarnate debuff?

I remember asking this question awhile ago re: Monk's Clarity of Agony, and I think the answer back then was that no, they do not stack in an additive manner, but in a multiplicative one. If it was additive, a Monk with 15 Resolve, the ring w/ -35% hostile effect time, and Clarity of Agony activated would reach -100% quite easily. 

I did some testing, the effects do indeed stack but not additively. They seem to stack in the same way as attack speed / recovery time effects (see stickied thread), which means that it can never be zero. It can be quite low though, and the duration reductions are essentially 'stronger' than duration buffs from the caster's Intellect, due to the way the formula works. I tested with some Chill Fog, with Aloth at 35 Int and Eder at 35 Res, so +125% and -75% duration respectively, but that actually ends up with a blindness duration of about 5.5s, so 37% of the base 15s duration. 

It also applies to anything negative as far as I can tell, so Aloth's Chill Fog but also Blunderbuss modal. 'Hostile effect' can just be interpreted as 'negative effect' in this context, essentially. Provided they have a duration anyway. I didn't test drug crash, but those don't have a duration as such so I'm quite sure they're not affected. Confusion from Berserker Frenzy should be though (it will get somewhat counteracted by your own Int though). It also doesn't necessarily show up properly in effect descriptions, at least it didn't for Powder Burns. Setting Eder's Int and Res both to 35, the duration of the effect when I clicked the modal was given as 22.5s, only showing the Int 'bonus'. The actual duration was only 3.7s though.

• Like 1