It's just me or there are holes in the dialogues? (first 5 mins mini spoiler maybe?)

So, i just started to play and dialogues feel... Superficial at least.

I had the first conversation with xoti and even though i never mentioned it she somehow recognize me as a watcher... Which can be ok i guess, but the character doesnt react to this in the slightest manner...

Then i talk with the governor and xoti call me a watcher in front of him, even though being a watcher is not exactly a thing you would want to say to everyone you meet. Again no reaction by both the character and the governor...

Am i missing something or the dialogues are just poorly made?

• Like 2

I have noticed it as well. Characters seem to mention and talk about stuff as if you talked about it already. I remember Xoti being especially weird early on. I did tell Xoti I was a Watcher, don’t know how the other conversation path goes. I had “wait what are we talking about exactly” moments couple times.

• Like 2

Yeah sometimes I feel like I've completely missed something. Like conversations that supposedly have happened but never did. Or they reply to things in a way which seems like I made different choices to what I actually did. Strange.

Not sure if some dialogue is just missing or what.

• Like 4

nowt

I'm finding a fair amount of broken dialogues and quests. The conch shells are an perfect example- finding the conch of the depths (which no one had asked for) jumped the quest for the conch of the heavens by several steps. And the random lackey behind the wall acted as if we had met before and all was going to plan (and knew about the mural in the place she hadn't seen yet)

I suspect several of the quest writers thought the game was far more linear than it actually is.

• Like 1

You have random NPCs that walk by and simply go "Watcher..." I suspect it's because your character is somewhat well-known by this point. Several times in the game your "reputation" is mentioned. You're the "Watcher of Caed Nua," "Dragonslayer," "God-chaser," and so on, so forth. It isn't beyond belief that some people would simply recognize you nor is it beyond belief that some people would simply recognize what you are (a Watcher), given that your character's exploits haven't exactly been kept secret. 

That said, there are definitely some holes in dialogue, the one with the governor that you mentioned being the most obvious one for me. 

• Like 1

also peoples talk....

what you said and did back in the palace , so much gossip  :yes:

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

And why does nearly everyone on the street want to purchase Xoti's lantern?????????

Maybe the odd person, but nearly everyone I walk by!

and it is the only light we have !!!!!!!! Imagine..crawling in the dark and hitting your toe everytime !  :dancing:

Hey they say the same about Maia bird ! I suspect they wanna eat it!  :getlost:

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

Kasu the priest in Berath's temple in Neketaka was one of these I felt, in that the dialogue didn't seem to explain well what was going on (and he rambled on and on and the way he talked was so annoying I actually wanted him to hurry up and kill himself) or why so many of my dialogues seem to imply that I really wanted to go in there myself.

And why does nearly everyone on the street want to purchase Xoti's lantern?????????

and it is the only light we have !!!!!!!! Imagine..crawling in the dark and hitting your toe everytime !  :dancing:

Well, I got Eder too with the Drogga saber, but yeah if it wasn't for those lights I could hardly see in some places! I would keep Xoti switched to her sickle and lantern sometimes just so I could see where I was going! Not that I disliked this, I actually wouldn't have minded it if they had given us more sources of light we could carry down there since I felt that it gave a proper dungeon feel, which reminds me should really try out the torches more.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Kasu the priest in Berath's temple in Neketaka was one of these I felt, in that the dialogue didn't seem to explain well what was going on (and he rambled on and on and the way he talked was so annoying I actually wanted him to hurry up and kill himself) or why so many of my dialogues seem to imply that I really wanted to go in there myself.

Well, I got Eder too with the Drogga saber, but yeah if it wasn't for those lights I could hardly see in some places! I would keep Xoti switched to her sickle and lantern sometimes just so I could see where I was going! Not that I disliked this, I actually wouldn't have minded it if they had given us more sources of light we could carry down there since I felt that it gave a proper dungeon feel, which reminds me should really try out the torches more.

well you have that torch weapon from POE1 still....I forgot to use it , but then again..Xoti little lantern and the animation she does..is super cute . 

Edit: Ohh wonder if a fire godlike act like a Lantern ! Oh Players who went with a fire Godlike..plz enlight us ! 

Edited by E.RedMark

Elderly Hive Dweller

I haven't been having much of an issue with the Watcher being recognized as such - I like that following the events of the first game we've ascended to celebrity status, and considering that we enter the Deadfire bearing the Watcher of Caed Nua flag on our ship we're not exactly making our presence in the Deadfire inconspicuous. All the same, I would agree that there seem to be some holes or strange developments in the game, early on particularly...

I'm still fairly early into the game myself, just exploring Neketaka, but right now I'm confused about a couple of aspects regarding our role as the "Herald of Berath" and so on, and what we've been doing with the souls we take. I played through the start of the game twice yet saw no explanation to what we were meant to do with the souls we gathered or why we should gather them, or even that Berath was asking as much, yet we assume it's what we need to do. This wouldn't be as big a problem if it didn't feel like our character knows and understands all this much better than we, the player, do, and where our own responses seem to provide more information about all this than we ever got from the person that allegedly informed us instead. The arrival at Neketaka is similarly confusing. Likewise, the introduction of some of the companions early on seem a bit sudden and plenty of elements that would normally seem critical for these seem underplayed - Eder and Aloth haven't seen the Watcher in five years from what I understand, yet their reaction to meeting eachother after all this time simply... Isn't there. Xoti's lantern and soul-harvesting practice seem pretty poorly explained and there's no way to question her further on the matter from what I've seen so far either, whilst there is also no way to ask Aloth about the Leaden Key beyond key conversations with him which, to my mind, seems strange, especially when he's deliberately not wanting to tell us and "check his notes before" instead.

For all the alleged depth to the companion relationship system, which I still hope will give us greater insight into each of them as the game progresses, the companions seem leaner right now than they appeared in the first game - I'm not a fan of how lean their conversation trees look this time around, how little we can ask of them or they're willing to share back, whilst most of their interjections seem to be there for mere colour and to increase or decrease values to a system that so far feels rather gamey and which seems to stilt the humanity and naturalness of these characters more so than aid them into forging bonds that seem genuine. But I am still too early in the game to tell.

Edited by algroth
  • Like 2

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I mean... Torches are still usable (but you can't enchant them to godlike status anymore, so that's kind of a bummer)

if you are a fire godlike....wouldn't that mean the torch become a rival ? 

*Imagine long discussion in a tunnel where your godlike of fire is arguing about Eder giving special treatement to the torch and walking ahead..while you sulk in the back * 

Eder: We need light back there too! and you are slow ! So there !

Fire godlike : *sulk* 

• Like 1

Elderly Hive Dweller

I haven't been having much of an issue with the Watcher being recognized as such - I like that following the events of the first game we've ascended to celebrity status, and considering that we enter the Deadfire bearing the Watcher of Caed Nua flag on our ship we're not exactly making our presence in the Deadfire inconspicuous. All the same, I would agree that there seem to be some holes or strange developments in the game, early on particularly...

I'm still fairly early into the game myself, just exploring Neketaka, but right now I'm confused about a couple of aspects regarding our role as the "Herald of Berath" and so on, and what we've been doing with the souls we take. I played through the start of the game twice yet saw no explanation to what we were meant to do with the souls we gathered or why we should gather them, or even that Berath was asking as much, yet we assume it's what we need to do. This wouldn't be as big a problem if it didn't feel like our character knows and understands all this much better than we, the player, do, and where our own responses seem to provide more information about all this than we ever got from the person that allegedly informed us instead. The arrival at Neketaka is similarly confusing. Likewise, the introduction of some of the companions early on seem a bit sudden and plenty of elements that would normally seem critical for these seem underplayed - Eder and Aloth haven't seen the Watcher in five years from what I understand, yet their reaction to meeting eachother after all this time simply... Isn't there. Xoti's lantern and soul-harvesting practice seem pretty poorly explained and there's no way to question her further on the matter from what I've seen so far either, whilst there is also no way to ask Aloth about the Leaden Key beyond key conversations with him which, to my mind, seems strange, especially when he's deliberately not wanting to tell us and "check his notes before" instead.

For all the alleged depth to the companion relationship system, which I still hope will give us greater insight into each of them as the game progresses, the companions seem leaner right now than they appeared in the first game - I'm not a fan of how lean their conversation trees look this time around, how little we can ask of them or they're willing to share back, whilst most of their interjections seem to be there for mere colour and to increase or decrease values to a system that so far feels rather gamey and which seems to stilt the humanity and naturalness of these characters more so than aid them into forging bonds that seem genuine. But I am still too early in the game to tell.

Yes to all of that. As the game progresses you get to talk to companions a bit more, but I did feel as well like we are skipping some important beats. I understand the desire to trip writing as it was the biggest complaint about PoE for many people but I am supposed to romance companions, and I just know nothing about them, beyond what is in their “reputation” sheet. Sadly, with full VO there might not be a way to fix any of that.

In the first conversation with Xoti, if you are cheeky about your identity Xoti says that she can tell what you are and then immediately refers you as watcher <_< So dunno how, but she can apparently recognize watchers at sight, maybe that comes with being a reaper?*shrugs*

But yeah, there are times when npcs seem to assume you told them something you had option to not mention,(such as being Herald of Berath) but it has never been anything really important. Still, either way, you cant hide your identity as watcher if thats what you want

Edited by BrokenMask

Yeah sometimes I feel like I've completely missed something. Like conversations that supposedly have happened but never did. Or they reply to things in a way which seems like I made different choices to what I actually did. Strange.

Not sure if some dialogue is just missing or what.

Glad I'm not the only one. Several times during a conversation it seemed like the available responses were total non sequiturs. Even after rereading the entire conversation they didn't make sense and it seemed like the game bugged out and didn't display part of the conversation.

• Like 1

So, i just started to play and dialogues feel... Superficial at least.

I had the first conversation with xoti and even though i never mentioned it she somehow recognize me as a watcher... Which can be ok i guess, but the character doesnt react to this in the slightest manner...

Then i talk with the governor and xoti call me a watcher in front of him, even though being a watcher is not exactly a thing you would want to say to everyone you meet. Again no reaction by both the character and the governor...

Am i missing something or the dialogues are just poorly made?

Hah, you haven't even began to see just how poor the overall writing in this game is. It's hands down the worst writing in a game Obsidian has ever made.

The most important step you take in your life is the next one.

I'm finding a fair amount of broken dialogues and quests. The conch shells are an perfect example- finding the conch of the depths (which no one had asked for) jumped the quest for the conch of the heavens by several steps. And the random lackey behind the wall acted as if we had met before and all was going to plan (and knew about the mural in the place she hadn't seen yet)

I suspect several of the quest writers thought the game was far more linear than it actually is.

I did that last night, I explored the Old City before talking to the questgiver and found the other conch early and in the last dialogue before leaving to do the quest I could pick an option about something that should clearly happen later. So I'm kinda spoiled about what is going to happen now.

It seems more like there are missing checks to certain dialogue options which seems to be a trend...

• Like 2

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

In the first conversation with Xoti, if you are cheeky about your identity Xoti says that she can tell what you are and then immediately refers you as watcher <_< So dunno how, but she can apparently recognize watchers at sight, maybe that comes with being a reaper?*shrugs*

But yeah, there are times when npcs seem to assume you told them something you had option to not mention,(such as being Herald of Berath) but it has never been anything really important. Still, either way, you cant hide your identity as watcher if thats what you want

So after playing some more minutes, looks like everyone and their mother recognize you as a Watcher... And i'm still missing why... I can understand that your deeds are known even in a far land but... How can they physically recognize you right on the spot? Is there television that showed your appereance all over the globe?

Even the conversation with xoti and pallegina doesnt make any sense, i literally just recruited her and before even exiting the valian building xoti talks to her as they are hanging around togheter for ages (she even says "you offended me for too long" or something like that). That just felt way too odd

• Like 1