[Attributes] Dexterity not calculating correctly?

Maf

Question

Hi guys, back again with an issue I noticed, which is the following:

Dexterity seems incorrectly calculated.

Looking at the sheet:

post-25438-0-22729400-1526298395_thumb.png

And an actual ability:

post-25438-0-70625500-1526298416_thumb.png

It doesn't seem correct.

Looking at Eder with his 11dex, it shows the same.

Except for Eder that means it actually rests at -3% (instead of +3% for 11 dex).

Maybe I'm missing something obvious?

I don't recall noticing this earlier, but perhaps I wasnt paying attention too closely.

-edit:

Feel free to add if you experience the same, if it's just my game I need to find out why xD

It happens on all my saves now though.

Edited by Maf

8 answers to this question

This is not a bug, but it's true that it is a bit ambiguous. In-game there are places where you get information about the recovery speed and places where you get information about recovery time.

The relation between these 2 concepts is that they are the reverse of each other: recovery speed=1/recovery time. The tooltip for DEX is related to recovery speed (it also affects attack speed, reload speed, cast speed but these are not relevant now), therefore you have an increase of 30% to your recovery speed. Applying the formula above you get the the time you get to achieve full recovery, recovery time, is 1/1.3=0.77. Therefore, your recovery time, as displayed by the weapon tooltip, is reduced by 1-0.77=0.23. So an increase by 30% in recovery speed equates to a decrease of 23% in recovery time.

Edited by kmbogd
  • Like 1

This is not a bug, but it's true that it is a bit ambiguous. In-game there are places where you get information about the recovery speed and places where you get information about recovery time.

The relation between these 2 concepts is that they are the reverse of each other: recovery speed=1/recovery time. The tooltip for DEX is related to recovery speed (it also affects attack speed, reload speed, cast speed but these are not relevant now), therefore you have an increase of 30% to your recovery speed. Applying the formula above you get the the time you get to achieve full recovery, recovery time, is 1/1.3=0.77. Therefore, your recovery time, as displayed by the weapon tooltip, is reduced by 1-0.77=0.23. So an increase by 30% in recovery speed equates to a decrease of 23% in recovery time.

Appears correct, even in my current 21% DEX game.

Not a bug then, but perhaps there could be better way to display it?

I'm willing to bet many people will simply look at the numbers and conclude something's wrong without that formula.

Agree, this is ambiguous. Even the big formula for adding modifiers up is very convoluted: even though you see a succession of modifiers it's not as simple as adding them up (if you have at least one malus)

Edited by kmbogd

Kmbogd in that example are you saying that recovery speed is always 1/recovery time? Because from what I know about how stats are calculated would be based on what weapon you use. Researching it that way you come up with the bug. At 19 dex you maintain a 21% reduction on ANY weapon which doesn't make sense for how the stat "should" work. The calculation from my understand should be (Base weapon speed - dex%) and then whatever else calculates into it. So your 2h weapons would obviously gain more from a higher dex. Im fairly certain that this isn't working as intended. Dev feedback would be greatly appreciated on how this works. 

Agree, this is ambiguous. Even the big formula for adding modifiers up is very convoluted: even though you see a succession of modifiers it's not as simple as adding them up (if you have at least one malus)

Perhaps they can add a "shift" function on those speed numbers that displays a more complete calculation?

Shift is already used to "better explain" stuff elsewhere and is unused on those pages as far as I can see.

The formula is very complicated and it is actually performed in more stages, so it's impossible to display it via the shift function. In case you are curious you can read the following: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/98679-mechanics-attack-speed-recovery-time-reload-time/

What they can do though in the short term is to make sure that they are consistent in their displayed information and ability wording. Since behind the hood they are working with speeds , they should keep references only to speed adjustments and cut off all time references. If they do this they will clear at least the confusion that arises from examples like the one you provided above.

Edited by kmbogd