The talent "Great Soul" and a specific pet you get from one of the most difficult fights of the game (no spoil) give max empower uses. What is the point of these though? Aren't they useless? Shouldn't they be max empowers that can be used in a fight for these end-game bonuses to be useful? 

Edited by Bleak

Yep, I always hoped there would be some sort of fighting marathon where you can't rest where this would come in handy but after one playthrough: nope, seems nearly useless. I usually only empower with wizards/ciphers (some empowered wizard spells are a sight to behold), sparsely with Kana Ruas finishing blow and practically never with melee characters. There are a lot of things that felt strange, difficult to say if they are a bug or last minute changes that with other last minute changes make no sense anymore.

Finished the game - these extra empowers never helped me even once. Since you get them at the late game and they are supposed to be worth something, maybe they should be changed in a later patch.

The point of extra empower is so that you don't have to rest to recover em. This helps when you're using bed bonus (Wild mare) for +1 to all skill, sleep with the old hag in the pirate land for another +1 to all skill and eat Glittering Adra potion for +2 skills. You can have +4 to all skills, +6 or +7 if you include party assist and do nearly all dialogue in the game until you rest which can be an issue if you want to abuse this as glittering adra potion has limited amount of resources.