Trainers add +1 in two skills for the PC, cost is 3000cp

So far:

Granis' Training: Athletics & Survival (Palace in Serpent's Crown, Neketaka)

Geirwald Calder's Training: History & Arcana (Palace Balcony in Serpent's Crown, Neketaka)

Marc van der Bij's Training: Alchemy & Religion (The Sacret Stair, Neketaka)

Kae's Training: Metaphysics & Stealth (Lifter's Refuge, Dunnage)

Carelo's Training: Sleight of Hand & Diplomacy (Lifter's Refuge, Dunnage)

Elias Zelen's Training: Mechanics & Explosives (The Kings Coffing, Dunnage)

Co'el Marcellus Training: Bluff & Streetwise (Radiant Court, Dunnage)

Marofeto Liano's Training: Insight & Intimidate (Docks, Sakuya) Warning: In dialogue make sure to first get training and only then the amulet! Can disable training option otherwise

Are there any others?

Edited by pstone
  • Like 3

Can anyone confirm these skills are lost when you retrain the PC? (And if this is intentional)

I've just recently hit level 19 and decided to even out all the skills and retrain the entire party.

Only after spending a lot of time deciding how to distribute all skills I noticed I lost all my paid training skills ;(

Useful to know, given the amount of skills you get is a bit... Underwhelming. Unless you get more than one at some levels later (I'm only up to forth.)

You always get 1 active 1 passive per level, but with party assists you can use a lot of skills in interactions with decent efficiency.

Can anyone confirm these skills are lost when you retrain the PC? (And if this is intentional)

I've just recently hit level 19 and decided to even out all the skills and retrain the entire party.

Only after spending a lot of time deciding how to distribute all skills I noticed I lost all my paid training skills ;(

I'm sure this is a bug. You also lose the transfered talents from PoE 1 like Gift of the Machine or the Bloodpool bonus. As Chanter you also lose one ability point - after respeccing only your choosen invocation from character creation is there, but you first chant is lost.

I'm sure this is a bug. You also lose the transfered talents from PoE 1 like Gift of the Machine or the Bloodpool bonus. As Chanter you also lose one ability point - after respeccing only your choosen invocation from character creation is there, but you first chant is lost.

I do hope so!

Since money isn't a big thing anymore when you've done a fair bit of bounties and exploring, I've tried to "retrain" myself by seeking out all the trainers.

But they all tell me they've taught me everything they've can and wish me luck.

So until this is fixed, plan your PC accordingly and don't retrain him/her!

• Like 1

Damn.  This is the first I've read of skill trainers.  That said, at 3000 for training, I'm in no rush to get trained.  Not that I don't have the coin to afford it, but I haven't reached the amounts of gold in my coin purse to just throw 3k gp at this when there are so many other things to spend it on.  I'm sure that eventually I'll have the coin to be able to afford this training though.

There’s one in Sakuya on the dock but I think he’s bugged. You can talk him into giving you an amulet though.

Marofeto Liano, on the northwestern side. My understanding is that one of his dialogue options leads to an amulet (and no training), the other opens up skill training.

• Like 2

Exoduss, on 14 Apr 2015 - 11:11 AM, said: 

also secret about hardmode with 6 man party is :  its a faceroll most of the fights you will Auto Attack mobs while lighting your spliff

There’s one in Sakuya on the dock but I think he’s bugged. You can talk him into giving you an amulet though.

Marofeto Liano, on the northwestern side. My understanding is that one of his dialogue options leads to an amulet (and no training), the other opens up skill training.

That is correct,

I've just encountered him and avoided talking about his amulet and got the option to ask him to teach me what he's learned.

That is correct,

I've just encountered him and avoided talking about his amulet and got the option to ask him to teach me what he's learned.

You can get both. First get his training and then ask for his amulet.

That is correct,

You can get both. First get his training and then ask for his amulet.

Would make sense, since that'd cover all the 16 skills.

• Like 1

It’s weird though because you can still get him to offer you the training after taking the amulet, but your only available reply is to refuse. It seems like a bug rather than intentional.

Could you say which skill he trains you in so i cann add it to the main post? Edit ok found it (but cannot delete post/find delete button)

Edited by pstone

Could you say which skill he trains you in so i cann add it to the main post? Edit ok found it (but cannot delete post/find delete button)

He can train you in Insight and Intimidate

Edited by freche
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 5/18/2018 at 5:35 PM, Myrtillo said:

You always get 1 active 1 passive per level, but with party assists you can use a lot of skills in interactions with decent efficiency.

It don't always work, sometime, even if i have 14 diplomatie (10 on watcher + 4 from other companions) i can't pass a dialog which require 14, i don't know exactly how this is working...

Pillars of Eternity PS4 - RPG fan - Native language French, so please forgive my poor English speaking ...

Your party members need to have a total of 7 skill to grant you 4 skill through Party Assist (how it works). Can you show us the situation?

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

7 hours ago, fced said:

It don't always work, sometime, even if i have 14 diplomatie (10 on watcher + 4 from other companions) i can't pass a dialog which require 14, i don't know exactly how this is working...

I'm not sure Party Assist works for all rolls (even if it works most of the time)

1 hour ago, Elric Galad said:

I'm not sure Party Assist works for all rolls (even if it works most of the time)

Party assist always works except: for actually using the skill (i.e. actually stealthing, actually pick-pocketing, your actual use of explosives or traps). the exception is mechanics, which uses your party assist mechanics to disarm traps (but uses your un-assisted skill to set traps).

The oddity about skill checks IME has more to do with the fact that sometimes in encounters only your watcher is allowed to pass a check, and sometimes anyone can volunteer to pass a check, and it's not always consistent or makes sense with the encounter. (And in rare cases, sometimes a specific arbitrary ally is picked to have to attempt a check, which is extremely annoying).

So it sort of depends on what @fced means by "dialog" and "can't pass." If you can select the dialogue option (e.g. it is not red) then you by definition you have passed the check. But not always does selecting a dialogue option unlocked by a skill mean a good resolution, so it might still seem like you "failed" even though you were able to use the dialogue option. If however by "dialogue" you mean "scripted encounter" then it's possible that a character has 10+4 diplomacy, but a different character is being selected to actually pass the check and they're failing.

Edited by thelee

1 hour ago, thelee said:

Party assist always works except: for actually using the skill (i.e. actually stealthing, actually pick-pocketing, your actual use of explosives or traps). the exception is mechanics, which uses your party assist mechanics to disarm traps (but uses your un-assisted skill to set traps).

The oddity about skill checks IME has more to do with the fact that sometimes in encounters only your watcher is allowed to pass a check, and sometimes anyone can volunteer to pass a check, and it's not always consistent or makes sense with the encounter. (And in rare cases, sometimes a specific arbitrary ally is picked to have to attempt a check, which is extremely annoying).

So it sort of depends on what @fced means by "dialog" and "can't pass." If you can select the dialogue option (e.g. it is not red) then you by definition you have passed the check. But not always does selecting a dialogue option unlocked by a skill mean a good resolution, so it might still seem like you "failed" even though you were able to use the dialogue option. If however by "dialogue" you mean "scripted encounter" then it's possible that a character has 10+4 diplomacy, but a different character is being selected to actually pass the check and they're failing.

Example : Rongi in the plucked fruit quest (he was thief), Serafen had Bluff 8 when i spoke to him, but no way can't bluff him, i stay stuck on this quest for long time, i finally solved it by raising my perception to 19 while i was on the beach, and i found the fruit...

• (source wiki) If you inspected the reeds, you can question Rongi about it. He will confess with Bluff 7, or Intimidate 8 + Intellect 14.

Pillars of Eternity PS4 - RPG fan - Native language French, so please forgive my poor English speaking ...

It's always your Watcher doing the talking, so what Serafen has he can only give you as Party Assist. If Serafen's 8 Bluff is all the Bluff the party has (not counting the Watcher), then you get +4 skill. If you don't have 3 or more yourself, you're not going to pass a Bluff 7 check.

2 hours ago, thelee said:

(And in rare cases, sometimes a specific arbitrary ally is picked to have to attempt a check, which is extremely annoying)

EKERA.

Edited by omgFIREBALLS

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

1 hour ago, omgFIREBALLS said:

It's always your Watcher doing the talking,

oh yeah, i missed out on spelling that out in my post.

in all dialogue - your watcher always does the check. only party assist matters from allies, their specific skill doesn't matter.

in scripted encounters - depends. sometimes your watcher, sometimes you can pick an ally, rarely sometimes you're forced to use a specific ally.

• 1 month later...
On 5/14/2018 at 10:41 AM, pstone said:

Marofeto Liano's Training: Insight & Intimidate (Docks, Sakuya) Warning: In dialogue make sure to first get training and only then the amulet! Can disable training option otherwise

Are there any others?

With enough diplomacy and understanding (may be bluff - can't remember), you could persuade him to offer the amulet, and then ask him for the lesson for 3000 ... The teacher wait someone he don't know, but the person will recognize the amulet (or something like that)...

• 3 years later...
On 2/18/2020 at 4:25 PM, omgFIREBALLS said:

It's always your Watcher doing the talking, so what Serafen has he can only give you as Party Assist. If Serafen's 8 Bluff is all the Bluff the party has (not counting the Watcher), then you get +4 skill. If you don't have 3 or more yourself, you're not going to pass a Bluff 7 check.

EKERA.

I know this is a very old thread, but I did run into this issue of the "arbitrary member chosen for the skill check", and I've realized why it happens. At least it applies to all the times I've encountered this so far.

When multiple characters are selected, choosing to interact with something a little far off will often have just the nearest character go all the way while the others stay. Then, when the character interacts with it, the storybook section will only have them as an option. Cancelling out and bringing everyone close does it.